I used an AI code to translate any chinese subbed video

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hi silas6012, thanks! For example, the word I mentioned in this thread got translated as hair. From context, I think the code want to mean something like spin or brush. What do u think could be the real translation of it?
more context needed, and it would be better with a reference to the video, but so far, I guess the meaning could be 'serve', which pronounce the same as 'hair' in Chinese

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
more context needed, and it would be better with a reference to the video, but so far, I guess the meaning could be 'serve', which pronounce the same as 'hair' in Chinese

Sure, you are totally right. Here have some words that I think can be fixed easily:

Word translated: board
min: 2:58
I think in this case means racket in the whole meaning by context, not just blade,

Another word 5:25, professional, could be advanced?

1691075808456.png

And hair, min 0:34 in

1691075941566.png
Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Yes, board means racket, not just blade.
'Professional' is a faithful translate, with which coach Fang highlights that professional players usually close the racket when preparing for backhand loop. The last one, hair should be replaced by serve.

Reactions: isaacdl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hi, after some summer holydays I'm back at my pc. Added the proper translations we talked about. But I still found some errors that if you want, I would like to fix:

1692544508689.png
Why it appears "? Maybe its chinese initial question mark not well translated by the IA? Why noodles? Also river? By context I would say river is rubber?
1692544579024.png
1692544650312.png
Here the word that I think is not well translated is drifting maybe?

1692544778724.png
Pellets?
1692544827730.png
Rope?
1692545207239.png

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Isaac.

Attachments

• 1692544978418.png
    1692544978418.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1692545113531.png
    1692545113531.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 2
Hi, would it be possible to enter English subtitles through YouTube so that we can enter automatic translation for non-English speakers?
I think there would be a lot more followers then.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hi, would it be possible to enter English subtitles through YouTube so that we can enter automatic translation for non-English speakers?
I think there would be a lot more followers then.
Oh, do you mean in my videos, yes, thats something I thought about. I can save the translations in a file with the time of the video and add the file with the subs later to the video, thats something I could search to

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
is the problem in the letter / word recognition?
No, the problem is in the translation it gives google that is not accurate in context. For example, symbols for serve gives hair, but in this context those symbols would mean serve. I was asking to someone who knows chinese the proper translations for the images I uploaded

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
CONVERT CHINA SPEACH TO FRAME BOTTOM NARRATIVE

We do prefer to learn from coach of Japan Mr. Matsuzaki, the hidden intramural lessons with Mima Ito. Some instructive guidance for making a super-duper champion.

This user has no status.
Isaacdl, this is an amazing project, with a lot of potential among non Chinese TT audiences. I'm not an expert but I collaborate with neuronal translation experts and I know the kind of difficulties you are facing.

Machine translation has improved dramatically in the last few years and it is already very efficient even with Chinese texts. However, to train AI to translate specialized texts, a bilingual corpus of hundreds of thousands of segments is needed, and I guess that that is not easy to find for table tennis. Another problem is that the Chinese language spoken in this kind of videos is far from being standard, not only because it belongs to an informal register but also because the players and coaches who speak there are not high profile speakers --let's say, university professors or TV anchors-- and they improvise a lot in a very unstructured way and even use expressions coming from other Chinese languages that can be easily understood from the context by native speakers but at the same time are a huge hazard for machine translation.

An example. I'm not a native Chinese speaker, but I guess (please, those of you who are better positioned correct me if I'm wrong) that the expression 十板球 and 六板球的能力 that Fang Bo uses in 1:20 is an influence from his local language. It has nothing to do with ten boards (even when 板 means board) or being able to loop ten times in a row, as the IA interpreted, but here it just means that Fan Zhendong's backhand is perfect (10/10) and his own backhand is only fair (6/10). To overcome this type of difficulty, the AI needs hundreds of similar texts, the bigger the corpus the better, and this is something that we currently don't have.

So it is not only a problem of the thousands of Chinese characters currently used and the new terms created by combining them in specialized jargon like that of table tennis, but also of the scarcity of bilingual informal texts to train the AI to cope with this kind of video.

In any case, here there are a lot of Chinese speakers who can contribute to fixing this kind of mistake and help to training the machine. Even at this stage, and even with the errors yet to be fixed, it is already a very useful initiative.

Here is my modest contribution with the first error, "quot;? It's all river noodles": "it's all the red face/rubber".

BTW, isaacdl, it would be useful to include the exact minute and second where the error appears on the video to locate it faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hi, after some summer holydays I'm back at my pc. Added the proper translations we talked about. But I still found some errors that if you want, I would like to fix:

View attachment 26324
Why it appears "? Maybe its chinese initial question mark not well translated by the IA? Why noodles? Also river? By context I would say river is rubber?
View attachment 26325
View attachment 26326

View attachment 26327
Pellets?
View attachment 26328
Rope?
View attachment 26331

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Isaac.
红面 the red (rubber) side (here the coach emphasizes that thick contact is necessary for good looping)
不飞吗不飞啊 “(if I loop with thick contact,) will the ball not go over the table?" "not at all"
他球才能很稳定的过去不飘 (with thick contact,) the ball's trajectory will be very steady.
集中啊把球拉集中 when looping, concentrate your force at the contact moment.
就是会长 the trajectory of my loop is longer (than yours), so the first landing point is deep.
拉绳 is a mistake for 拉球,i.e. loop
这不就红了吗 yes, now the red side is visible.
走这个面你出来才能看见红面 only when you move your racket along this path, the red side can be visible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Isaacdl, this is an amazing project, with a lot of potential among non Chinese TT audiences. I'm not an expert but I collaborate with neuronal translation experts and I know the kind of difficulties you are facing.

Machine translation has improved dramatically in the last few years and it is already very efficient even with Chinese texts. However, to train AI to translate specialized texts, a bilingual corpus of hundreds of thousands of segments is needed, and I guess that that is not easy to find for table tennis. Another problem is that the Chinese language spoken in this kind of videos is far from being standard, not only because it belongs to an informal register but also because the players and coaches who speak there are not high profile speakers --let's say, university professors or TV anchors-- and they improvise a lot in a very unstructured way and even use expressions coming from other Chinese languages that can be easily understood from the context by native speakers but at the same time are a huge hazard for machine translation.

An example. I'm not a native Chinese speaker, but I guess (please, those of you who are better positioned correct me if I'm wrong) that the expression 十板球 and 六板球的能力 that Fang Bo uses in 1:20 is an influence from his local language. It has nothing to do with ten boards (even when 板 means board) or being able to loop ten times in a row, as the IA interpreted, but here it just means that Fan Zhendong's backhand is perfect (10/10) and his own backhand is only fair (6/10). To overcome this type of difficulty, the AI needs hundreds of similar texts, the bigger the corpus the better, and this is something that we currently don't have.

So it is not only a problem of the thousands of Chinese characters currently used and the new terms created by combining them in specialized jargon like that of table tennis, but also of the scarcity of bilingual informal texts to train the AI to cope with this kind of video.

In any case, here there are a lot of Chinese speakers who can contribute to fixing this kind of mistake and help to training the machine. Even at this stage, and even with the errors yet to be fixed, it is already a very useful initiative.

Here is my modest contribution with the first error, "quot;? It's all river noodles": "it's all the red face/rubber".

BTW, isaacdl, it would be useful to include the exact minute and second where the error appears on the video to locate it faster.
Thanks for the reply! I uploaded the images and not the video but I see maybe the audio can help give better context. I'll upload the video privately and I will give you the link + time when message appears and the word I think there is a bad translation.

I now see the chinese can be that complex, with those local expressions. And yes, the idea is to bring this content to everyone non chinese. Despite having such good youtube channels about TT, I think there are not only one which goes that deep as this chinese TV videos (I'm not sure if its TV, chinese tiktok..). The quality of them is superb!
红面 the red (rubber) side (here the coach emphasizes that thick contact is necessary for good looping)
不飞吗不飞啊 “(if I loop with thick contact,) will the ball not go over the table?" "not at all"
他球才能很稳定的过去不飘 (with thick contact,) the ball's trajectory will be very steady.
集中啊把球拉集中 when looping, concentrate your force at the contact moment.
就是会长 the trajectory of my loop is longer (than yours), so the first landing point is deep.
拉绳 is a mistake for 拉球,i.e. loop
这不就红了吗 yes, now the red side is visible.
走这个面你出来才能看见红面 only when you move your racket along this path, the red side can be visible.
Thanks! I would really like to learn chinese. this is extremely helpfull.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
It's all right. By the way, I think the coaching accurately targets a common mistake made by many non-pro players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I'm certainly not qualified to comment on the technique of such a top player as Dima, but I guess you are right. European players are more diverse in terms of stroke style, while Chinese coaches try to teach learners what they believe is the optimal way to play the game.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

View attachment 26324
View attachment 26325
View attachment 26326

View attachment 26327
Pellets?
View attachment 26328
Rope?
View attachment 26331

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Isaac.
Fang Bo's videos are particularly difficult to work with here. A majority of the problems that have nothing to do with AI arise from typos (speech-to-text?) and missing punctuation (standard practice but usually replaced by a space) in the sub. On top of that, some of them come from OCR errors and issues unique to simplified Chinese.

In 都是红面 that is mistranslated as ""It's all river noodles", the quotation mark could be an OCR error misidentifying the top left part of the character 都 due to interference from the net in the background. The "river" in "river noodles" is an OCR error of the character 红 (red) misidentified as 江 (river). I suspect the OCR wouldn't have made the same mistake with 紅, the traditional counterpart of 红. 面 is a long-standing issue unique to simplified Chinese, which can mean face/side/noodle. In traditional Chinese, noodle is a separate character - 麵.

In 他球才能很稳定的过去不飘 that is translated as "He can pass the ball very stably without drifting", the problem stems from the pronoun 他, which should be treated as instead. There is no article (a, an, the) in the Chinese language, but here 他/它 would serve that role, and 他/它球 would mean "the ball" and the whole sentence would translate to "so that the ball can get across steadily without wobbling". The etymology of 它/他 evolving as the third-person pronoun.

In 就是会長 that is translated as "is the president", 会長 is treated as a noun (can't blame the AI), when it means "it becomes long" in this context and therefore "the shot would land deep".

Last edited: