I wanna play with the big boys!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Oh but suddenly you change the level (2700 vs 1500) that is irrelevant.
I have seen several very good players (top 50 players = 2500/2700) struggle against many players of a much lower level because they were playing with technical material. They usually won in the end anyway but with a lot of effort and perseverance.
Give the same lower level players an inverted rubber of 1.4, 1.6 or whatever and the much higher level player makes mincemeat of his opponent.
I have beaten many players who use pips or dead ball strokes when I struggle to beat players at that level who use spin strokes. The issue you are describing goes both ways. Playing flat tends to affect people who want you to spin all the time, pips just make it easier to play flatter balls because they react less to certain levels if spin but the person still needs good feeling to control the ball.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Dude this is close to unreadable....
Not really.

The main point is that using pips that have more grip (going from long pips to short pips) is similar to going from Hurricane to Dignics 05, in that thr strokes that might have worked seamlessly before need to be retrained. Long pios being less grippy obviously means they react to spin a bit less than regular rubber so the range of racket angles/stroke path adjustments you can use to return the ball, especially if it is long, is definitely not as wife as inverted. But there are still stroke path adjustments if you are playing good servers and loopers make no mistake about it. Whenever I serve the a guy using long pips, they usually wonder what I am doing because they miss the first few balls into the net. The issue is not that they fo not react to spin, the issue is that they are so used to dealing with players who wang to give them light spin to avoid learning about the specific dynamics of the pips.

The rest is mostly about the gritty mental approach one should have to TT improvement. Again, getting more skilled at playing inverted players at the higher levels is just as taxing and and rewarding as learning to deal with pips players. A lot of my focus on heavy topspin was developed to spin pips players off the table, If my arthritis hadn't kicked in so badly, I would have kept my flat game too and the mix would have been cool to deploy.

This user has no status.
Explain please?
You need to proofread a bit before you post lol... English is my 2nd or 3rd language and I never ever written anything like that...

Anyway all good. I'm done with this topic. It doesn't help me either because I don't lose all that often to pips players near my level anyway, they're not my relative weakness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
You need to proofread a bit before you post lol... English is my 2nd or 3rd language and I never ever written anything like that...

Anyway all good. I'm done with this topic. It doesn't help me either because I don't lose all that often to pips players near my level anyway, they're not my relative weakness.
lol ... Not offended really... It's called Dyslexia I've mentioned it before ...I'll try ...but thanks for bringing it to my attention.. again.. (y)

Last edited: