Is Sanwei Target National a good forehand rubber?

says Table Tennis is the best sport
says Table Tennis is the best sport
Feb 2024
Hello, I have been researching fast and spinny rubbers for my forehand to buy in the future. I was wondering if Sanwei Target National, (The new version), is any good. I watched some reviews on it and people said it was a very fast and spinny chinese rubber. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I only tried the old one, and it was literally the worst rubber I have ever experienced. Not a little worse, it was in a different universe of bad rubber.

I asked the Sanwei agent what is different in the new version, and it doesn't sound to me that it is all that different. So I personally doubt the new one is good. But some people have said that it is pretty good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Ok, Thank you for the feedback. Would you recommend any fast and spinny chinese rubbers that don't need boosting?
I would recommend pinyi cuifeng blue sponge. Unboosted or boost one layer is good. Needs break in even if unboosted though. But very solid, lower throw than h3, a bit less top-end spin that h3. But very direct and straight flying arc. Easier to generate speed and spin than h3. Tackiness is around h3 level??

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
New STN is more light weight, easier to create spin with, more offensive rubber than the old one. To me it's a totally different rubber. Faster and harder than Hurricane 3 41deg and works really good in a more flat hitting game play as well, so it's a really good rubber if you are familiar with how Chinese rubbers play.

This user has no status.
im currently playin with old STN 62-001, kinda dead felling rubber with learning curve, very strong FH rubber, tacky, very good control in short/long and blocking, with propper technique insane speed with spin/counterspin, but its physically demanding to play with this rubber, due to low throw also very hard to flat smash, u need to adjust your blade angle for everyshot or you can easily overshoot the table. even with low throw angle u r able to topspin serves near table. new STN should be upgraded, lighter, not as tacky, higher throw angle, old stn feelslike 40deg and new is prolly even harder? if new STN have old qualities and its upgraded with better quality control and durability also should s more user friendly.

imo
throw angle comparison STN<H3 neo<big dipper< jupiter 3 asia
spinny shots speed H3 neo<big dipper<jupiter 3 asia<STN

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_012004.jpg
    IMG_20240227_012004.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 26
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
It is mentioned a lot on this forum as one of the best H3 (boosted) alternatives that don't need boosting. I can't make this comparison, as I have never played with a boosted H3. I bought a Sanwei Target National recently (from @mocker88 btw, great shop) and liked it. Flat and fast ball with a good kick when you hit it properly. Good control in the short game. Sticky and spinny. Low throw angle, which I actually liked a lot.

My coach (an ESN guy all the way) hated it, though, and recommended for me to stick with ESN Rubbers. And I figured it's probably better to follow the way of my coach instead of stubbornly sticking to a piece of equipment that might afterall not even help my development. 🤷‍♂️

I would say it is good enough that it is worth a try, especially at the price point of around 30 USD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
It is mentioned a lot on this forum as one of the best H3 (boosted) alternatives that don't need boosting. I can't make this comparison, as I have never played with a boosted H3. I bought a Sanwei Target National recently (from @mocker88 btw, great shop) and liked it. Flat and fast ball with a good kick when you hit it properly. Good control in the short game. Sticky and spinny. Low throw angle, which I actually liked a lot.

My coach (an ESN guy all the way) hated it, though, and recommended for me to stick with ESN Rubbers. And I figured it's probably better to follow the way of my coach instead of stubbornly sticking to a piece of equipment that might afterall not even help my development. 🤷‍♂️

I would say it is good enough that it is worth a try, especially at the price point of around 30 USD.
Thank you for your kind words about my shop :)

Yes I understand that you go ESN instead as you'll get much better help from your coach knowing these kind of rubbers well. But I think that linear, Chinese rubbers will help your development more than ESN rubbers, as they are less forgiving if you don't do the job. And they are easier to play with in the short game as well (my opinion) :)

Reactions: Bruschk0v

Your development is only depending on equipment if You have selected something too fast or way too slow.
Very short sighted of Your coach, maybe he is sponsored...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Your development is only depending on equipment if You have selected something too fast or way too slow.
Very short sighted of Your coach, maybe he is sponsored...

Cheers
L-zr

He is not sponsored or short sighted, it's just his opinion about equipment. He is a very good player (USATT 2300+) and certified coach. A much better player than my middle aged self will probably ever become.

I asked him his opinion and chose to follow it, which I personally think is a sensible thing to do in a student / coach setup.

He is not sponsored or short sighted, it's just his opinion about equipment. He is a very good player (USATT 2300+) and certified coach. A much better player than my middle aged self will probably ever become.

I asked him his opinion and chose to follow it, which I personally think is a sensible thing to do in a student / coach setup.
Very prejudice…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Very prejudice…

Cheers
L-zr
I agree. My club coach is very biased toward Butterfly. But I grew up playing 729.

My current club coach only sells Butterfly stuff (Tenergy, Dignics, etc.) but I choose my own equipment.

Everyone plays differently and feels the ball differently. I don't think you should change your rubber just because of your coach's bias.

Reactions: Lazer
I agree. My club coach is very biased toward Butterfly. But I grew up playing 729.

My current club coach only sells Butterfly stuff (Tenergy, Dignics, etc.) but I choose my own equipment.

Everyone plays differently and feels the ball differently. I don't think you should change your rubber just because of your coach's bias.
I know, a trainer should not bother with Your equipment choice. I my club they give advice but only if You ask them.

This talk about different techniques is a bunch of horse sh--t. I went from ESN to chinese on FH, no problem whatsoever, as a matter of fact the slowing down has helped me develop my FH tremendously..
My club is sponsored by Donic, so I use their clothes out of courtesy but thats it...

Cheers
L-zr