Issue cutting the rubber

This user has no status.
Hello, It's several times now I try to glue myself the rubbers and most tricky part for me is cutting. I tried scissors, scalpels, razor blades, whatever... My issue isn't the shape of the cut, I mean that is just aesthetic and I can live with it. Edge tape also helps hiding a little bit. My big issue is that the pressure on the edges of the rubber during the cut un-glues the rubber from the blade. Result is pretty rubbish. Please help!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The blade (knife or scissors) catches the rubber. You need to either use cooking oil or dishwashing liquid & water on the blade, so the friction between the blade and the rubber is eliminated. This works for me even for OX (no sponge) long pips rubbers, which you can't cut otherwise.
Exactly ! Also one must use a top quality sharp blade. I use a new scalpel blade every time.

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
I find the curved scissors the easiest to cut
curved-scissors.jpg

You are suppose to let the rubber dry first before you cut it, i usually leave the rubber pressed with 5 pounds on top overnight and the next day i cut it, in this way the glue will be perfectly attached to the rubber and wont ever have loose edges.

This user has no status.
You are suppose to let the rubber dry first before you cut it, i usually leave the rubber pressed with 5 pounds on top overnight and the next day i cut it, in this way the glue will be perfectly attached to the rubber and wont ever have loose edges.
It takes 2 days for glueing this way

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I glue with old glue, the VOC 1 liter one. Lowkey after 5 minutes i can glue it and it has a extreme strong bond after waiting a minute with weights on it. I use 3 books for weight. ( i seal my blades so no splinters)

I have a fabric scissor to cut. Perfect cut every single time. Only pips i use the dishwashes liquor trick.

Reactions: Trevize84
You can't rush it leave it at least 8 hrs, if you dont want to wait,. I usually put 1 layer of glue in the rubber let it dry until is hard and completely dry with no stickiness after that i put a second layer of glue on the rubber and the blade and only then i put the weight on it, i cut it and do the same with the other rubber, i use Butterfly Free Chack II and is not very strong, this is the only way i can achieve a strong attachment to the wood that last until i replace it again. If you have a loose edge then use an old cutter blade put the glue inside with it and again leave pressed until it dries well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Read 1 reviews
I use 1+2 layers of glue (Butterfly Free Chack Pro II) and just roll it out with a bottle a few times. Then I just grab a boxcutter, start off with a couple more shallow cuts to work as a guide before cutting through all the way. No waiting for anything other than glue to dry for 30 or so minutes. Imho waiting for hours before a cut is way overkill.

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
My big issue is that the pressure on the edges of the rubber during the cut un-glues the rubber from the blade. Result is pretty rubbish. Please help!
I always put the bat onto a piece of cardboard and press down while I'm cutting. This ensures that the knife does not push the rubber away from the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
What kind of glue are you using for it to take so long and are you putting on too thick a layer? Granted I live in a dry area but it only takes 30 minutes for a layer of glue to completely dry. You understand that you put a thin layer of glue on each surface the blade and sponge and leave it to dry completely before putting the blade and rubber together right? Table tennis glue is a type of contact glue that works when it is left to dry in the open before assembling together. If you put the rubber and blade together when the glue is still wet then there is nowhere for the water in the glue to evaporate except the very edges and it will take a super long time or maybe never. A good glue used correctly will be strong enough to hold even the edges. Try using Donic Formula First. It is a strong glue and only requires a thin layer to work.

This user has no status.
I always put the bat onto a piece of cardboard and press down while I'm cutting. This ensures that the knife does not push the rubber away from the blade.
This is what I have done, 4 layers of 2mm cardboard without holes in it. I also pressed the blade downwards with the free hand while cutting to increase friction and avoid the cutter to could catch the rubber and pull.

This user has no status.
What kind of glue are you using for it to take so long and are you putting on too thick a layer? Granted I live in a dry area but it only takes 30 minutes for a layer of glue to completely dry. You understand that you put a thin layer of glue on each surface the blade and sponge and leave it to dry completely before putting the blade and rubber together right? Table tennis glue is a type of contact glue that works when it is left to dry in the open before assembling together. If you put the rubber and blade together when the glue is still wet then there is nowhere for the water in the glue to evaporate except the very edges and it will take a super long time or maybe never. A good glue used correctly will be strong enough to hold even the edges. Try using Donic Formula First. It is a strong glue and only requires a thin layer to work.
Sueke no 2