using a razor blade to cut the rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
That is due to the fact that you used it wrong. You don't align the curve of the scissors with the curvature of the blade head but rather the opposite way. This way you can get closer to the blade head without shu any part of the scissors or your hands obstructing the action.
Lol, so I use the protruding part of the scissor to cut against the blade? I can see how that would work...

This user has no status.
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I do use razor blades but in a sleeve, for very cheap you can buy it at Walmart in the USA, maybe in Canada as well?
This is the product
I like it better that scissors, less zigzags on the rubbers.
Yep, I knew I had one of those somewhere and turned my vast amount of tool boxes upside down looking for it. I did find it but it was blunt. Also, these are not actually razor-blades. These blades are much stiffer than razor blades so one can not bend them away from the wood like the demonstration shows.
In the end what ever works - works but I do find that for me there are other tools
that can do the job as good or better and are much more comfortable in my hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Best solution for a clean a nice looking cut... assuming you use them on the right side :) scissors for cutting nails to babies have same shape. I can understand if you have a child by looking at how you do the rubber cutting with these! 😂😂😂
I acutally do also use them to cut my dogs hair between their toes (its dangerous for them to have long fur underside of their paws, its slippery).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
How do I get my hands on a pair of those?
I bought mine in the local table tennis shop. I paid about 10€ in inters.pl. They do ship internationally, but I unless you buy something else its not cost effective.

They seem to be carried by a lot of vendors. If a shop has a revolution glue, they can probably also get them for you.

Reactions: JeffM
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think scissors just take a little practice. In 2009-2012 I spent a lot of time at a TT club that was in NYC's Chinatown back then (closed in 2012). One of the guys who worked there was a close friend of mine for years before I ever went there. He and the owner of the club used to build rackets for people and watching them, when they cut with scissors it was so fast and came out so perfect, that I was stunned because I knew I could not do it that well. At a certain point they had me help assembling rackets every so often.

I still can't do it as well or as fast as they did. But, nothing is quicker and my cutting usually comes out fine in my book. Their cutting came out pretty close to perfect. Mine, good enough. I just use regular titanium art scissors that I got at an art supply shop. The most important detail is that they are very sharp. And then, technique-wise, when you cut with a scissor, the most important thing to know is how to avoid the handle as you start the cut....to start from under so the handle is out of the way of the handles of the scissors, and to make small cuts until you are clear of the handle. After you are clear of the handle, the rest is easy until you get to the end where the scissor blades are facing the handle, and then, again, you direct the scissor blades below the handle as you did with the scissor handles at the beginning....and, you make small cuts near the handle.

Done with skill, it works just as well and there is no fuss.

But if someone wants a perfect cut and wants to use different versions of razor/knife cutting, it is fine. With either you can get a good cut. There is an X-Acto Knife with a big handle like a screwdriver that allows you to put more force into the blade than any smaller handle would. There is also an X-Acto blade specifically designed for carving that works better than any other blade I have used. If you are holding something tiny and sharp, it is harder to apply force into the sponge.

With scissors, the more practice you have, the more professional the cut ends up looking. I suppose that would be the case with a razor/knife cut as well. But if it takes me more than 15 seconds to cut each side with a scissor, I would be surprised.

To each, his own.

I am one of those people who feels their racket is not a real racket until it has some dirt, sweat stains and dings to make it look like it has been through some battles. There are others who like their blades to look like it was brand new forever. Either is fine as long as it works for you. There are the Felix Ungers of Table Tennis and the Oscar Madisons. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This discussion just reminded me that my coach uses the scissors of a small Victorinox Swiss Knife. One could think clocks are the sharpest thing in Switzerland, hell no! Victorinox blades are sharper. I've lived in Switzerland and used to have cutting knives for kitchen of that brand. I still use one of them for roasted meat, it's such a freaking weapon. My fingers know that very well. Jokes apart, those tiny little scissors can cut the rubber just fine and without too much effort. They don't take too much space when you get close to the handle. They are also short so you can follow the curve of the edge nicely. I was surprised.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
This discussion just reminded me that my coach uses the scissors of a small Victorinox Swiss Knife. One could think clocks are the sharpest thing in Switzerland, hell no! Victorinox blades are sharper. I've lived in Switzerland and used to have cutting knives for kitchen of that brand. I still use one of them for roasted meat, it's such a freaking weapon. My fingers know that very well. Jokes apart, those tiny little scissors can cut the rubber just fine and without too much effort. They don't take too much space when you get close to the handle. They are also short so you can follow the curve of the edge nicely. I was surprised.
Having lived in Switzerland for a while previously i have two Victorinox Swiss Army Knifes (there the proper Swiss Army knifes) - and they are great for this - only downside is one of my knifes has a lot of tools on it so its quite wide so makes it not the easiest to use - but its super sharp.

The guy in the video gets a great cut though!

Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
Having lived in Switzerland for a while previously i have two Victorinox Swiss Army Knifes (there the proper Swiss Army knifes) - and they are great for this - only downside is one of my knifes has a lot of tools on it so its quite wide so makes it not the easiest to use - but its super sharp.

The guy in the video gets a great cut though!
Yes indeed you need one of the smaller ones but not the smallest otherwise the scissors are too thin. One may customize the knife having 2 scissors one per side so that both left and right hand sides are ok with the cut!

Reactions: jammmail