using a razor blade to cut the rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have tried to use a utility knife and normal sharp scissors to cut the rubber, but it is still not neat at all. It is just not as neat as the set that I bought from TT11. I came across found out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJR1HDt1gk
The guy used a Gillette super-thin razor blade which seems amazingly neat.
I think I am going to use the method next time.

Just wondering have anyone tried this yet? and any thoughts and tricks to share? Cheers.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Use a pair of scissors, it’s easiest and really neatness is not the object…

Cheers
L-zr
Scissors. I don't care if the edge of my rubber looks like a dog has chewed on it.

I have tried various knife. They just don't cut through well. Maybe it is because I am not pressing down with the knife hard enough. But scissors are so easy.

If I want to be anal, I will go to my club coach to ask him to cut the rubber for me. He uses a knife to do it. It looks nice and round. I cannot come close to his knife skill.

Or you can get one of these. Considering how often I change blade and rubber, $679 is not a bad price to pay.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I have tried to use a utility knife and normal sharp scissors to cut the rubber, but it is still not neat at all. It is just not as neat as the set that I bought from TT11. I came across found out this video.

Just wondering have anyone tried this yet? and any thoughts and tricks to share? Cheers.
H E L L NO !!!!
One wrong move and you will be like captain Hook. 😂
When I glue and cut for somebody else I use a surgical scalpel.
For my own needs some top quality scissors are fine.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have tried to use a utility knife and normal sharp scissors to cut the rubber, but it is still not neat at all. It is just not as neat as the set that I bought from TT11. I came across found out this video.

I wonder how often someone trying that slices his fingers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
https://ttrevolution.com/products/curved-scissors/, I got these. 10$. They do not rust. They always work. Easy and safe.
Is that the tiny black scissor that has a curvature built into the scissor blade?

I cannot use that one. It does not curve the way I want it to each blade and I am afraid of damaging the wood.

I use the sharp regular big scissors from Amazon and just cut it away!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Is that the tiny black scissor that has a curvature built into the scissor blade?

I cannot use that one. It does not curve the way I want it to each blade and I am afraid of damaging the wood.
That is due to the fact that you used it wrong. You don't align the curve of the scissors with the curvature of the blade head but rather the opposite way. This way you can get closer to the blade head without shu any part of the scissors or your hands obstructing the action.

Reactions: JJ Ng and lodro

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
He is certainly very good at this, which suggests he has had plenty of practise. I agree with the others above though, however neat the results are there is far too much danger of slicing your own fingers ! The only gain I can see for taking the risk with a razor blade is that there appears to be less chance of cutting the wood because the flexibility of the blade makes it easier to follow the curve. Personally, having tried box cutters and so on, I now use a surgical scalpel - and yes, I can change the blade without amputating my fingers, thin-nosed pliers have many uses ! Edge tape neatly covers any raggedness afterwards.

If I buy a blade and rubbers together I usually get the vendor to make the bat up for me. I use Bribar TT in the UK; I've no idea what cutting method they use, but when the bat arrives the cutting is usually millimetre-perfect and dead flush with the edge of the blade. Machine, possibly ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If you want pro results, use what tabletennis11 themselves use to cut rubbers when they assemble rackets: an 18mm snap blade utility knife. You can get an Olfa and some of those black extra sharp spare blades and I can tell you from personal experience they work as intended if you are careful. Make sure you have a cutting board of some sort underneath the racket when you do it.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I have been cutting with this blade for many years and I have no problems with cutting my hands and fingers, but the quality of the cut is excellent. I hold the blade in my hand a little differently than in the video.
It happens recently that I cut off the overlay with a very thin clerical knife, but in order for it to be of the same quality, the knife blade must be new.