Kim Jung Hoon teaches FH fast loop vs underspin

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nexy / TAK9.com just published a 30 minute clip where Korean pro Kim Jung Hoon gives a 30 minute lesson to a Natl Div 4 (slightly above average common Korean club member level). This is all about how to make a fast loopdrive vs an incoming underspin. This is how to step around and make fast loopdrive crosscourt to finish a point.

KJH stresses a few things and corrects the Div 4 player on this...

1) Use 70% power and 80% power by using just shoulder rotation and waist/shoulder rotation. He stresses the shoulder should open during the swing. He shows how to start with the legs, use the waist rotation leading to shoulder rotation just like you are trying to swing shoulder and knock someone down with your shoulder.

2) do NOT take the ball too early. TRUST the power you generate on the swing to make enough topspin to safely bring the ball down on the other side. Hitting too early makes you hit out of the effective impact zone and saps power and timing.

3) When learning to adapt to the timing and effective body timing, it is more important to get the timing of the muscles and to generate the proper level of power from the swing. This is much more important than landing the ball at first. Once the swing mechanics are well timed, the power is there, it is then a matter of waiting for the ball to come to the effective zone and impact it there.

4) KJH shows the Natl Div 4 player that the Natl Div 4 player's loopdrive is just about the same power as KJH's loopdrive, a pro.

5) KHJ stresses that it is REAL important to make the ball land within inches of the endline. If the ball lands a foot from endline, it is easy to fast block it down the FH line for a winner. if the loopdrive land on or very close to the white endline, it has the effect of forcing the opponent back like flinching and makes a successful block MANY times more difficult. KJH stresses that one must wait and allow the ball to drop down (the sweet spot they are hitting successful loopdrives is a couple inches above table level) so that the topspin brings it down at the last moment which just happens to be real deep by endline. Hitting the ball too early tends to either make you hit out of zone or land it too safe / too early

6) KJH stresses that it is MUCH better to land 9 out of 10 step-around loopdrives cross-corner deep at 70-80% than it is to try for more power and miss more ofter. The 70-80% of max potential power that a player generates is usually enough power to win a point if opponent is caught at the table.

KJH must have stopped the player at least 6 times and stressed the shoulder rotation once player got into position and started it all with leg power and waist rotation. KJH made it a point to show this player that his 70-80% power loopdrive to finish a long underspin ball's resultant pace is not very different than the loopdrives pro KJH does in combat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Wow! Thank you very much for the video and translation. I don't have a coach so these tips are priceless.
I think Kim Jung Hoon has other tutorials (coaching sessions), I would be grateful if you can translate and share some of them if/when you have time. I watched some of the videos but I don't understand a thing he said :D
[h=2][/h]

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KJH must have said "open the left shoulder" a gazillion times.

I didn't do a translation, just summarized what Kim Jeong Hoon was stressing.

The words he kept saying OVER and OVER were

*** WAIT for the ball (to drop) (so you can hit the ball in your effective impact zone)

*** (on the 70% power loopdrive) OPEN up the left shoulder right before impact

*** Land the ball deep

*** Missing the shot (not landing it) isn't so important as "catching" the ball (at the right time) (and position relative to your effective impact zone)

He must have told that guy to "wait a little longer" a few hundred times

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wow! Thank you very much for the video and translation. I don't have a coach so these tips are priceless.
I think Kim Jung Hoon has other tutorials (coaching sessions), I would be grateful if you can translate and share some of them if/when you have time. I watched some of the videos but I don't understand a thing he said :D
[h=2][/h]

Hey iammaru, make a thread for KJH or other Korean dudes instructing something, post the vids and maybe I (or another Korean member) can make at least a gist of the basic important points.

I really know what it is like to not have a coach or a club. My first 3+ years as a tt enthusiast, I had no club with 150+ km of me, I was the only registered player in a city of 100,000 and I had to drive 100 km to meet a couple players at my average at best level and hit maybe 2 hrs a week.

I had (and still do) to use the TT forums and vids (and a few TT books) (I learned to BH loop from Coach Hodges' book) as sources of info and coaching.

I really had it good in Korea the 4 yrs I was there. Now I am back in the States, there is zero TT near me. I play only once a month (if that) when I visit Boston.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nexy seems to be putting some stuff like this up on their FB page and youtube, so if I see any more, I will summarize again. Before, it was just exhibition match stuff or an interview. This looks like it will be done every so often.

What is notable in this vid besides all the tips and corrections KJH did, was that he didn't break down the entire stroke start to finish. That Natl Div 4 player already had a step-around move and basic stroke with power production. KJH just pointed out what sapping his consistency, mainly...

(For this player and what he was doing... or not)

Player wasn't waiting for the ball to go deep enough and fall down some more. This made his loopdrive land a little shallow when he landed them, but it led to problem #2

Player was hitting the ball too early too far in front of his effective impact zone. This made his loopdrive lose some power and a LOT of consistency. It also improved his timing and power. (and confidence !!)

Hey, the Nexy / TAK9.com youtube page is showing a lot of these from when KJH was sponsored by Stiga (he is now with Tibhar) so I guess I will make some more threads.

What is good about making a gist of what is going on is that although it benefits everyone to see it, that stuff also benefits me as I got to think about it a lot before I write. That stuff is coaching me too.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OX Long Pips Coach Yoo Doo Joon from Yong-In TTC in Korea opened up his LP coaching vid vault to the public on one of my visits in 2013, so if anyone wants, they can post one of his vids to a thread and I can say the main stuff he was talking about. I did this for a few vids at OOAK, as that forum has a lot of LP enthusists, but there may be some here as well.

This is his website, but it is all in Korean and you need special approval to view certain stuff on the site. (except for the LP training vids which I asked Coach Yoo to open access for everyone) (They are great vids and show a lot of basic theory and advanced stuff) If you click on the left column that says "Long Pimples" you will see what looks like a blog page in Korean with a list of links. These are the vids and there are over 100 of them on 7 pages with links to the pages at the bottom of each page like you expect.

http://cafe.daum.net/youngintt

Click on "Long Pimples" on the left column to get to the video vault lists.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hey iammaru, make a thread for KJH or other Korean dudes instructing something, post the vids and maybe I (or another Korean member) can make at least a gist of the basic important points.

I really know what it is like to not have a coach or a club. My first 3+ years as a tt enthusiast, I had no club with 150+ km of me, I was the only registered player in a city of 100,000 and I had to drive 100 km to meet a couple players at my average at best level and hit maybe 2 hrs a week.

I had (and still do) to use the TT forums and vids (and a few TT books) (I learned to BH loop from Coach Hodges' book) as sources of info and coaching.

I really had it good in Korea the 4 yrs I was there. Now I am back in the States, there is zero TT near me. I play only once a month (if that) when I visit Boston.
Wow, I never knew it could be that difficult to get a chance to play table tennis. Thought you were Korean :D
I think you already found other coaching videos of KJH. Hope you will have time to summarize the tips in those videos, thank you so so much in advance. Btw, KJH seems to be a great coach.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wow, I never knew it could be that difficult to get a chance to play table tennis. Thought you were Korean :D
I think you already found other coaching videos of KJH. Hope you will have time to summarize the tips in those videos, thank you so so much in advance. Btw, KJH seems to be a great coach.

Nope, not Korean at all, but I get along with them and you ask TTD member Bricephan he'll tell you they won't know over the phone. ;)

But yeah, in USA it is feast or famine for TT, mostly famine.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What an awesome post!!! this is so good to see, even if i dont understand it, the points youve translated all make sense!! thanks alot!

Well, you take a look at the main points first and take a look at the vid, it will make enough sense with the body language :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KJH showed the 70/80/100 percent power way.

70% power... be in position and use waist and shoulder rotation

80% power... do the same, but before impact at the right moment throw open your left shoulder (using some more loose lower body dance move groove kinda power) (and a little help from the arm) to generate more shoulder rotation and WAIT for the ball. he shows it at 12:13

100% power... 26-27 minute explains you have to step around, but make the rear leg "run" towards the ball (after dragging it quickly to the position where he plants and explodes forward with it), while you took a big step forward with the left leg and planted it. At impact the rear leg will go through the impact and carry forward to finish. This is the all or none finishing shot where you are killing the ball and ending the point right there. Note how KJH moves up and makes the legs move fast. This is real important. He says the legs cannot move slow to get big power and weight momentum to transfer into the shot. He re-enforces this at 26:45 - 27:10 and look how far forward he moves the left foot and see where he is at impact and where he is moving... JKH is already halfway towards the net and moving forward to finish almost at the net and sometimes the explosive opening of the body to generate the quick torque carries him to the side some. (like at 27:02) the power he tries to generate turns him almost around going for max power. It is a shot that is all or nothing going for the hard kill when the ball is there. At 28:30 he emphasizes that it is really important to get the shoulders to open up before and during impact. KJH says the power kill shot is not as powerful if you do not really open up the shoulders before and at impact.

KJH stresses the FIRST THING (assuming position and balance and stance are there) is to WAIT for the Ball...and CATCH the Ball... He says this over and over throughout the vid.

25:00 better than anything, it is better to land the ball 70-80% power 9 out of 10 times for sure, this is MUCH better than trying to hit the ball too hard (where position isn't there).

Reactions: SwordBreak
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another thing I didn't gist for you all is right at the end of the vid before it shuts off, Kim Jung Hoon says that it is amazing what YOUNG BLOOD can do. He said the young guy made it through 30 full minutes and even a pro doing 30 minutes at that exertion level is really killer rough for them.

In Korean he said 우리 선수들은 대게 30분 안으고 들어가면은... 힘 들어서 못해요.

Literally that means "Pro athletes like us doing that in 30 minutes is (too) difficult and we can't do it."

Of course KJH was being real nice to the player (as he complimented him in his endurance despite the tough drills for 30 minutes right before he said this)

Still, even if KJH said this out of good manners to the player, he was still sincere about both the player and the amount of difficulty it is for pros to cope with this kind of demanding training for even 30 minutes.

In USA and many places, players prefer a private lesson that is 30 minutes at the absolute express shortest, often minimum of an hour, sometimes 1.5 hours.

I really cannot see how much demanding training can get done in that long amount of time. 20 minutes is MORE than long enough to SMOKE the living dogcrap outta the fittest player and that is the standard length of time for Korean lessons, absolute longest is 30 minutes and at that length, coach is holding back big time on the duration and frequency of the intense stuff.

USA lessons seem to waste a lot of time, yet still a lot of time is spent teaching and re-enforcing theory and plenty of time for repetition, but at a really low exertion rate and if it gets intense, it wont stay that level for long and there will be something to give recovery to the player.

Anyone wondering why 20 minutes of a Korean lesson will bring a fit dude to hiz knees crying UNCLE !! will need to go to Korea and experience it for themselves!