This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
url
stiga-loupe.jpg

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Most newbies or even high level players do not comprehend how table tennis is a sport of super precision down to sub microscopic dimensions. Of course hardbat & sandpaper players say this is bad for the sport & I agree about 10% but that is for another discussion.

Let me just say this though > Microscopic changes you make to your racket (blade, rubber, sponge etc) can greatly impact your performance against competition at same skill level. Even such minor changes such as handle type or using one type of handle wrap tape compared to another and the number of wraps you make can greatly impact your performance

I recently saw a former 2300-2400 player using a handheld magnifier by Stiga that actually had markings probably below one tenth of a millimeter of something & he was complaining and demonstrating on the magnifier how the seller said he sent a 2.2 mm rubber but it was only 2.1 mm or something.
Has anyone heard of this Stiga or similar ? I could not find on Google search
I also love to know how you can make many other measurements such as the exact length and width of a pip or the pip distribution density etc.
Take a look at https://ioctt.com/kg/t4_2017.pdf
I am curious as to how ITTF makes these measurements or how a player can do these at home (don’t give me the funny answer “don’t DIY”)
Any help appreciated.

More irrelevant waffle : ""

Are you looking for submicroscopic dimensions

The range is from 0.1 millimeter to 0.0001 mm or from 100 um and 0.1 um. Particles from 0.1 um to 0.004 um in size are called submicroscopic (or ultrastructural) particles.""

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

More irrelevant waffle : ""

Are you looking for submicroscopic dimensions

The range is from 0.1 millimeter to 0.0001 mm or from 100 um and 0.1 um. Particles from 0.1 um to 0.004 um in size are called submicroscopic (or ultrastructural) particles.""

It is good that Lodro has kept the forum sane while I was "away"
People are not calibrated machines. The goes for estimating the dwell time too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
When & where did I even remotely suggest that "people" are (calibtrated) machines ?
You didn't but the OP has suggested that pros can sense fine differences.

I have said many times that people are adaptable but not very good at sensing small differences.
This thread is bogus. I have mechanics that can move in microns. If I move the device 1 micron I think I can feel a movement, but I doubt I could tell the difference between a 1 micron and 2 micron move by touch or just looking at it. I doubt anyone can.

My experience with rubber millers is that it is hard for them to get two batches exactly the same. A 0.1mm variation in a 2mm rubber is a variation of 5%. No one has measured the thickness of MANY rubbers of a particular make to see what the standard deviation is.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

My working toolkit to control, investigate and study table tennis materials.
Two more instruments being under construction for now.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
You didn't but the OP has suggested that pros can sense fine differences.

I have said many times that people are adaptable but not very good at sensing small differences.
This thread is bogus. I have mechanics that can move in microns. If I move the device 1 micron I think I can feel a movement, but I doubt I could tell the difference between a 1 micron and 2 micron move by touch or just looking at it. I doubt anyone can.

My experience with rubber millers is that it is hard for them to get two batches exactly the same. A 0.1mm variation in a 2mm rubber is a variation of 5%. No one has measured the thickness of MANY rubbers of a particular make to see what the standard deviation is.

Of course james Z IS the OP
But whatever you will tell him - he will have some "counter argument on the submicroscopic level or even nano or pico."
Who knows we might end up in some serious discussion with JamesZ on the quantum mechanical levels, where everything is possible 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

Another smart device must to have for a rubber manufactory. Its most common use is to measure the actual effect of the boosting materials and chemical additives on the sponge. It is known as Schob pendulum resiliometer and is able to give the rebound resilience of rubber materials in numbers. Unfortunately, manufacturers all are keeping a tight lid on the resulting numbers. Knownig the true test data may be a frustrating surprize to the booster addicts, I guess.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Another smart device must to have for a rubber manufactory. Its most common use is to measure the actual effect of the boosting materials and chemical additives on the sponge.
You have posted this before but that is OK. It is good to remind the "goldfish"

It is known as Schob pendulum resiliometer and is able to give the rebound resilience of rubber materials in numbers.
It is simple but effective.

Unfortunately, manufacturers all are keeping a tight lid on the resulting numbers. Knownig the true test data may be a frustrating surprize to the booster addicts, I guess.
Do you have this device or access to this device? if the pendulum bounces back to the same level that it dropped from then the coefficient of restitution is 1. It would be easy to estimated the COR for any rubber with this device. Who needs manufacturer's data? It is bogus anyway. Someone can just record how far the the pendulum bounces back. It is easy to calculate the COR from there. Numbers like 0-10, 0-12, 0-15 like the manufacturers use is bogus and is meant to mislead. The effectiveness on boosting could be measured too.

The "goldfish" don't seem to remember that there are two types of foam rubber/sponge. There is the foam rubber used in wet suits where the cells are open and the foam rubber used in dry suits where the cells are closed. Boosters will not penetrate a lot of the new foam rubbers because they are not water or booster permeable.

This is one topic that both Zeio and I agreed on. Pay heed. You may be trying to boost a rubber that will not absorb the booster. If water will not penetrate the foam rubber then boost will not either since water molecules are MUCH smaller than booster molecules.

It would be nice to know if igorponger has access to that schob measuring device.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
https://worldtabletennis.com/eventInfo?eventId=2660

The AGM 2023 is betwen 20 May - 28 May 2023 at WITTC 2023 above

That means propositions must be submitted before February 20
So I will try to post my request in a week or two.

Just an FYI , Durban is the site of the 1998 Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre

It is such a shame that the City of Durban & South African Government would even give permission for above event.
I hope they revoke the permission

Have you stopped taking your pills again ?
You know the shrink told you never to stop taking them............it is even written on the packet.

what crazy notion have you to assume that a State and city in Africa might be interested what goes on when a few ping pong buddies have a
a little get together 😂.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Xu xin would sometimes lob with his RPB but I doubt there are any high level players from the RPB era who use lobbing as their primary match play strategy.

Jpen blades are more offensive because of this shape and is more fast than normal blades, is difficult to see a 5ply wood control jpen blade, most of them are 1ply hinoki or carbon based. You can see: a 90g 1ply hinoki blade with a rubber on just one side, this is designed to be fast and offensive.

Kpen is just a more round jpen blade, many stores will sell "kpen" blades on the jpen area.

I think Kpen blades are designed to have rubbers on two sides but still offensive, but in my opinion they are designed to have pips on the other side.

Here is a "kpen" blade on the jpen area. tt11.

"Do most K-Pen players hold differently compared to J-Pen players or are they both heavily forehand oriented ?"

To be honest i dont see many differences between Kpen and Jpen so i cant tell this, many "kpen" players just have some pips on the other side. Talking about style do not have to use the blade. This is not about Kpen, Jpen, Cpen, Shakehand, Seemiler etc

This is about the player, you cannot tell that a certain player will be extremely offensive just because he is jpen. You cannot a shakehand chopper will be totally defensive on both sides, he can just block/chop/chop-block on backhand and be extremely offensive on the forehand side for example.

"What are the special needs for penhold twiddlers of any of 3 types ?"

what? i dont understand this question.

says Footwork footwork footwork
I think the difference between round and square heads on J/K-Penhold blades are more for playing style. Rounded blades keep the center of gravity closer to your hand and better for closer to the table attacks whereas the elongated head of a square blade puts the center of gravity further out and thus is better for mid to far table attaking.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

says Footwork footwork footwork
Xu xin would sometimes lob with his RPB but I doubt there are any high level players from the RPB era who use lobbing as their primary match play strategy.
I think XX mostly lobbed with his forehand side. Despite that, yes, he uses RPB.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I will let someone else confirm but I read some times ago he was using :
Korbel Off, Xiom Omega VII Euro and CURL P1R
Yes, he's playing with a Petr Korbel, Euro version previous gen with brown handle (instead of grey) and Curl P1-R 1mm on the BH. He was also playing with this even when he was sponsored by XIOM and TT11 France for a while.

On the FH, he had been playing with Omega V Europe max for years, and until the last time I asked him 2 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he's indeed switched to Omega VII Euro since.