Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
Gionis also plays with European Korbel. I am not sure whether they are using European Korbel because they could not get the Japanese version or it's because Japanese Korbel is not suitable for choppers?

azv

This user has no status.

azv

This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I think he’s been recently sponsored by Butterfly, he sometimes puts pictures of his paddles in instagram. He’s playing with t05 hard and feint long 2
1681689688670.jpeg

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I’m not going to say 1 grip is better than another. It depends on the individual.

In Europe and probably the States shake hand grip is generally the norm, and what is usually taught by coaches, within the shake hand grip there are also variations, neutral, Bh and Fh positions, some players move thumb to different positions for certain strokes, some don’t, others move index finger around for pushes etc.
Some coaches may actually suggest both grip types and get new starters to try both, I would think these coaches are few though. It would be interesting to see what would happen if both were tried by new starters and they then decided which they preferred!!

There seams to have been a shift over the years towards shake hand grip, this can be seen in the reduction of CNT and Asian players in general using Penhold grip. So that’s what is seen at pro level. As for amateur level, club players etc You would have to ask people from the various countries. But in England shake hand is the ‘norm’ and Penhold the exception. I would even go so far as saying that very ‘individual grips’, those that don’t match either Shake hand or Penhold, may actually be more common that the Penhold grip over here!!!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I think harder rubbers have more spin on loops and heavy shots. Softer rubber have more spin on serves and light shots.
It might be just a matter of semantics but still, the way you write it it can be understood that rubbers actually DO SOMETHING.....................they don't. Otherwise I do agree with you. (y)

So maybe we should write : Harder rubbers have the potential to ...........blah blah blah.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
the way i understand it , the factories are allowed to do ANYTHING and it is legal.
We are not allowed to do anything to the rubbers once they leave the factory. That is illegal.
But frankly my dear, who gives a f^#*ck. 😁

Beautiful. So many "things" we can substitute to your word "factories" ;-)

Edit: Of course, most important is your ending!!!

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It also may have something to do with how the chmical content of the ball interacts with the chemical content of the rubber. This is quite possibly why some spin (any spin) was lost with the transition from celluloid to plastic ball.
You better take cover because once Brokenballs reads this you will be getting a hammering . 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Choosikick
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Material properties of the rubber that can affect spin generation include (probably not limited to):
- the surface grip/frictional coefficient of the topsheet
- tackiness of the topsheet (overlaps with grip, but tackiness also slows down the ball so we need an additional variable for that)
- stiffness/hardness of the topsheet (pip geometry will also affect this, here we treat the topsheet as a uniform slab like the sponge)
- stiffness/hardness of the sponge

Now try to lump these four variables into a single number! Note that these variables may contribute differently for different ball-rubber contacts (serve, brush loop, powerloop, chop etc.)

Jan 2023
I am aware of all that.
The assumption here is that the top sheet is identical & only FX has softer sponge
As I said in my OP, the only way I can see the FX being less spinny is if the hard version has teh sponge boosted up illegally like crazy & that is how Butterfly made the chart.
T05 and T05 FX are registered as two different topsheets in ITTF, although it is possible that they are actually identical.
Are you aware of the "bottom-out" effect with soft sponges? This is one possibility for FX to be less spinny.
In addition, factory boosting done by Butterfly would be legal; that's what the DHS NEO rubbers are.

The relation Tenergy 05 vs 05 FX in the chart is correct. I use them both on the same blade. A softer rubber is giviving You more spin on light shots but bottoms out quickly. A hard rubber gives you more spin on hard shots and bottoms out much much later. On low contact brush type shots the difference is less.

There are other parts in the new charts I do not agree with. I think BTY has changed how they measure.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
The relation Tenergy 05 vs 05 FX in the chart is correct. I use them both on the same blade. A softer rubber is giviving You more spin on light shots but bottoms out quickly. A hard rubber gives you more spin on hard shots and bottoms out much much later. On low contact brush type shots the difference is less.

There are other parts in the new charts I do not agree with. I think BTY has changed how they measure.

Cheers
L-zr

This is something that I've always wondered about. Speed and spin are rated on sites with a single number, when it would be more accurate and make more sense for them to be represented on a curve with several different values depending on input power. Wish there was an objective way to test for those values. Subjective feel of reviewers who have widely varying input power ability seems extremely unreliable.