LILYPAD 乒乓 - Handmade Table Tennis Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hello TTD Community!

I have been handmaking my own blades for over a year now, selling them locally, and on Etsy with good success, and nothing but positive feedback from those who have bought them. I started making them as a "quest to find the one blade to rule them all", though on my quest, it became sort of an obsession, and I did not want to stop making them once I found "my one". This notion of "my blade" struck me as analogous to a wand from Harry Potter, where the seller of wands (Ollivander for those who like specifics), describes the act of choosing a wand as, "the wand chooses you". That being said, there are a plethora of combinations of woods and composite materials available, though most do not exist on the market (especially in the commercial market). For these reasons, I have just finished setting up "LILYPAD PINGPONG", as an official company, and will launch an actual website soon (I use the Chinese characters for Ping Pong in the name/branding which are "乒乓").

I have started an Etsy discount code that will be active for the next two weeks (see code and links at the end). I invite anyone to use the code, and, if you could, please review the product with whatever feedback you may have while I'm getting the website up and running. All of my blades feature unique, laser engraved, identifying markings on either side of the forehand handle. These markings will always feature a "BS" on the left side, which serves a dual purpose as stating that the blade was made from a "single batch" of selected woods (i.e. one at a time), and that it was made by me (BS being my initials); κόλλα (ancient Greek word for "glue"), will be added to any blade that was made with hide glue, along with its gram strength. The right side of the handles feature a unique blade number, which are made in sequential progression, as well my "MADE IN FLORIDA" marking, indicating where I handmake everyone of my blades.

Below I've pictured my latest blade for sale as a reference, as well as the links to my Etsy Shop, and Instagram (where I've made it my "diary of blades"). Let me know if anyone has any questions, or wants any further details. Thanks for reading, and for your support!

25% OFF PROMO CODE: https://starkcreationsdesign.etsy.com?coupon=LILYPADTTD25
20240118_094737.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Thanks Tacky! Exactly the type of input I'm looking for, I will start adding the balance point to each blade for a better weight balance reference. I do make "bespoke" blades for those that have inquired; (7 so far). "The one" for me is my #0033; it was my fist SALC blade, and it literally plays exactly how I want the ball to with my mind, LOL.

In all seriousness, I tried to replicate it with a straight handle, using a "higher grade" of Avodire as the surface ply, with blade #0044 (mainly because I made the first pretty bland, as a tester, not knowing it would be my favorite). In #0044, the core was .1mm thicker, and the Limba plies were .1mm thinner. This, was yet another experiment in how much the thickness, and composition of plies matter in a blade, as it has slightly more dwell, leading to have to hit just a tad harder; the weight difference was about 4g due to the handle woods (#0044 has become my training/rec blade, and #0033 is my tourney blade)

Reactions: TackyForehand
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I've updated the 25% off due to an improper setting of minimum spending (there is not any). I have updated the settings at the link below, but it is the same promo code as my earlier post, just a different link if you use that. My apologies for any hassle it may have caused.

25% off Code: LILYPADTTD25
expires Feb. 12th, 2024