Loki Rubbers

This user has no status.
What is this Rxton 3 TOP rubbers that you speak of. That may be different? , Loki is very confusing.
The Rxton 3 Blue( with the blue topsheet) is not tacky at all.
Yes I agree - Loki rubbers can be very confusing 😂 ... especially all the Rxton 3 variants, as they all have similar names, but there's huge variation between the individual rubbers.

There are actually four (4) different Rxton 3 variants that I personally know of (there maybe several others besides).

The ones I personally own break down like this:

1.Original version: Available in red and black top sheets only -- comes with pastel orange-hued sponge in Max thickness only. Sponge has big pores and is roughly about 42-45°Euro hardness. -- Both rubbers are semi-tacky hybrids

2. Newer versions: Comes in Blue and pink topsheet only, with white sponge on both -- different topsheet material and different sponge to original versions, but same pimple structure as original -- very tacky rubbers, much harder and tackier than original versions.

3. R3 TOP: non tacky versions of the original R3, but has slightly different sponge -- top sheet looks similar to original version (might be slightly thicker?) - sponge (on black topsheet) is darkish blue in colour and seems to have bigger pores than original version -available in red and black topsheet only.

4. R3 Budget Factory Bat Version - a cheaper and slower version of the original R3, and only ever fitted to low-budget factory made bats -- not available for individual sale, and frankly not worth mentioning or discussing much at all.

Look to my future R3 TOP review for more details on the various differences in materials and playing feel...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Yes I agree - Loki rubbers can be very confusing 😂 ... especially all the Rxton 3 variants, as they all have similar names, but there's huge variation between the individual rubbers.

There are actually four (4) different Rxton 3 variants that I personally know of (there maybe several others besides).

The ones I personally own break down like this:

1.Original version: Available in red and black top sheets only -- comes with pastel orange-hued sponge in Max thickness only. Sponge has big pores and is roughly about 42-45°Euro hardness. -- Both rubbers are semi-tacky hybrids

2. Newer versions: Comes in Blue and pink topsheet only, with white sponge on both -- different topsheet material and different sponge to original versions, but same pimple structure as original -- very tacky rubbers, much harder and tackier than original versions.

3. R3 TOP: non tacky versions of the original R3, but has slightly different sponge -- top sheet looks similar to original version (might be slightly thicker?) - sponge (on black topsheet) is darkish blue in colour and seems to have bigger pores than original version -available in red and black topsheet only.

4. R3 Budget Factory Bat Version - a cheaper and slower version of the original R3, and only ever fitted to low-budget factory made bats -- not available for individual sale, and frankly not worth mentioning or discussing much at all.

Look to my future R3 TOP review for more details on the various differences in materials and playing feel...
OMG this is so trueeeee. I have the K1000 hobby bats, those have Rxton V, Rxton 1 and Rxton 3 and play nothing like the originals. They're a bunch of BS

Reactions: Wakkibatty
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
OMG this is so trueeeee. I have the K1000 hobby bats, those have Rxton V, Rxton 1 and Rxton 3 and play nothing like the originals. They're a bunch of BS
yeah, it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get. 🤣
Now i really look forward to receiving the Loki E9 racket that I bought.
Two completely different Rxton5 rubbers on it . I was thinking the tops would be the same as the standard rubbers as they carry the same ITTF stamp 158-007 (no license to kill) but
now I am more thinking it might be a load of rubbish 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: TheProfessor
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Two completely different Rxton5 rubbers on it . I was thinking the tops would be the same as the standard rubbers as they carry the same ITTF stamp 158-007 (no license to kill) but
Keep me posted mate! :D

This user has no status.
It may well be rubbish I'm sorry to say.

Basically with Loki rubbers, in my experience the only ones worth buying are those that are sold as a rubber sheet only ie: WITHOUT a blade attached. These are their proper competition rubbers, made with premium materials, and are usually an excellent product.

Those cheaper rubbish rubbers have the same LARC as the good ones, because they came from the same rubber mold.

This is how Loki and other manufacturers are able to do multiple variants on the same rubber. The sponge and top-sheet material changes, but the rubber mold remains the same, and it only has the same LARC number, because that number is engraved into the rubber mold... but it's very much a garbage-in / garbage-out process.

If you pour top quality rubber into a rubber mold, then attach the resulting topsheet to top quality table tennis sponge, you''re going to get a decent playing rubber.

If however you use rubber with the consistency of dried camel snot, then strap it to a used kitchen sponge...

...Well, let's just say the end result won't be attracting any famous player's signatures in a hurry 🤣🤣

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It may well be rubbish I'm sorry to say.

Basically with Loki rubbers, in my experience the only ones worth buying are those that are sold as a rubber sheet only ie: WITHOUT a blade attached. These are their proper competition rubbers, made with premium materials, and are usually an excellent product.

Those cheaper rubbish rubbers have the same LARC as the good ones, because they came from the same rubber mold.

This is how Loki and other manufacturers are able to do multiple variants on the same rubber. The sponge and top-sheet material changes, but the rubber mold remains the same, and it only has the same LARC number, because that number is engraved into the rubber mold... but it's very much a garbage-in / garbage-out process.

If you pour top quality rubber into a rubber mold, then attach the resulting topsheet to top quality table tennis sponge, you''re going to get a decent playing rubber.

If however you use rubber with the consistency of dried camel snot, then strap it to a used kitchen sponge...

...Well, let's just say the end result won't be attracting any famous player's signatures in a hurry 🤣🤣
of course they say it is "imported sponge" but do not tell us where it comes from.
It might come from some place where they have camels and if the sponge is made from camel snot we might be able to but it in a pipe and smoke it 😂

• Haha
This user has no status.
of course they say it is "imported sponge" but do not tell us where it comes from.
It might come from some place where they have camels and if the sponge is made from camel snot we might be able to but it in a pipe and smoke it 😂
Smoking dried camel snot?? Really???

Hmmm... 🤔🤔

"Hey Mr Tambourine man, blow your nose for me..."

...yeah - doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it? 😂😂

I suppose if the camel had a coke habit it might be worth trying.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
Nope... or not as far as the R3 Blue and pink versions are concerned -- they're just great rubbers IMO.

Been using the Rxton 3 Blue quite a bit and I really like it. After about 50 hours playing time, all the playing characteristics I reported have stood up over time pretty well... Still fast, still reasonably tacky given its age, and still has the same great low throw. When new, the rubber is tacky enough to slow down your slower touch shots quite a lot, but after about 10-15 hours, this effect was all but gone... Still tacky, but not tacky enough to hold the ball, just lift it.

Please note I don't boost at all, I just wait for the rubbers to play in, which takes about 10-20 hours depending on how hard you hit... which is partially the reason it's lasting so well. Booster really shortens rubber life in my experience. If you're not using it for comp, and don't need booster to help it play in quickly, then giving it time to settle and soften up gives you a fantastic rubber, and a longer feasible playing life as a competitive rubber. I note the blue R3 has stayed far tackier than the black one, despite them being fitted at the same time to the same blade. The blue rubber looks worn but okay, but the black started getting a really patchy finish after about 20 hours play. Clearly the black topsheet has a sticky coating, where the blue uses a slightly more viscose rubber which helps it retain its tack longer.

I would also add that -- just like a lot of Loki's rubbers -- this one goes best on a harder, stiffer blade rather than one with a sof feel and lots of flex.

The blade my R3blue is fitted to for example has Queensland Walnut outers (an Australian native timber species, which is not really a walnut) which are extremely hard, stiff, and fast, and have a wonderful crisp feel to them (just like European walnut -- just more so 😁😁).
I will boost them. I Bought 2 pcs for 15 euros total. The coffee outside is much more expensive than these rubbers. I do not have 20 hours. 1-2 hours session - if dont like - sell or give it to some kids in the club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Received my Aliexpress sale orders of Loki Rxton 3 Blue and Loxi Rxton I Plus.

Loki Rxton 3 has a hard cream sponge, on the same level of hardness as Rxton 5 (apparently 41d), maybe just a little softer. I was a bit disappointed that the topsheet doesn't feel all too tacky. It's less tacky than the Rxton 5 which can lift a ball for 1 or 2 seconds. It's somewhere halfway between Rxton 5 and a completely non-tacky rubber. On the bright side, there is no chemical smell at all and it looks nice.

Loki Rxton Plus has a medium soft bright pink sponge and a softish topsheet. It is completely non-tacky. It's supposed to be a pretty easy to use BH rubber. Has a odor like Sharpie marker (not the fishy smell like Yinhe rubbers) and the pip structure can be seen through the topsheet.

Probably will not get around to using these anytime soon since I plan to use my current setup for a couple of months, but who knows when curiosity will get the better of me.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Received my Aliexpress sale orders of Loki Rxton 3 Blue and Loxi Rxton I Plus.

Loki Rxton 3 has a hard cream sponge, on the same level of hardness as Rxton 5 (apparently 41d), maybe just a little softer. I was a bit disappointed that the topsheet doesn't feel all too tacky. It's less tacky than the Rxton 5 which can lift a ball for 1 or 2 seconds. It's somewhere halfway between Rxton 5 and a completely non-tacky rubber. On the bright side, there is no chemical smell at all and it looks nice.

Loki Rxton Plus has a medium soft bright pink sponge and a softish topsheet. It is completely non-tacky. It's supposed to be a pretty easy to use BH rubber. Has a odor like Sharpie marker (not the fishy smell like Yinhe rubbers) and the pip structure can be seen through the topsheet.

Probably will not get around to using these anytime soon since I plan to use my current setup for a couple of months, but who knows when curiosity will get the better of me.
I'm pretty sure the Rxton 3 Pink/Blue topsheet is non tacky, the tacky that you feel is just the slight stickiness from the plastic covering but I'm 100% sure it's non tacky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I'm pretty sure the Rxton 3 Pink/Blue topsheet is non tacky, the tacky that you feel is just the slight stickiness from the plastic covering but I'm 100% sure it's non tacky.
Mine for sure is 100% non tacky. Ordered off Aliexpress from GOO store.

The only reason why I thought it would be tacky is because Wakkibatty has mentioned in this thread that it is very tacky.

In other news, I've just glued a sheet of Loki Rxton 1 Plus to my 2nd Sanwei Fextra and will try to test it out in the next few days. It's a medium-hard sponge per the manufacturer and probably somewhere between 37-39d. Topsheet is semi-tacky (some stickness but can't pick up a ball). Someone asked about it earlier on in this thread and I also saw a glowing review of it on a Japanese youtube channel, so I figured I could be the guinea pig for this one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023

The only reason why I thought it would be tacky is because Wakkibatty has mentioned in this thread that it is very tacky.

In other news, I've just glued a sheet of Loki Rxton 1 Plus to my 2nd Sanwei Fextra and will try to test it out in the next few days. It's a medium-hard sponge per the manufacturer and probably somewhere between 37-39d. Topsheet is semi-tacky (some stickness but can't pick up a ball). Someone asked about it earlier on in this thread and I also saw a glowing review of it on a Japanese youtube channel, so I figured I could be the guinea pig for this one.
Chinese manufacturers are so confusing even the Sanwei Target 90 that I'm trying out, it's supposed to have the same topsheet as the other Target's but it's nothing like the Sanwei National Target topsheet. So I have no idea how all this works out to be honest. I'm trying out a Dragon-F from 729 right now but the Loki Rxton1 (regular) seems easier to use. I'm in such a dilemma right now.

This user has no status.

It IS very tacky... Or at least mine is - I use it as a test rubber on one of my faster 5-ply all wood blades. I can still lift a ball with it for about a second before it falls - that's after three to six months of regular use.

I've fitted or sold at least a dozen of them in the last few months now - all mine have been tacky, and my clients have told me the same.

A few posters are commenting their R3Blue is non tacky... I have no reason to doubt them, but I dunno what to tell you - maybe one of us got some from a bad batch?? I buy mine in bulk direct from the manufacturer, so I'm assuming they're fresher / newer stock.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
Chinese manufacturers are so confusing even the Sanwei Target 90 that I'm trying out, it's supposed to have the same topsheet as the other Target's but it's nothing like the Sanwei National Target topsheet. So I have no idea how all this works out to be honest. I'm trying out a Dragon-F from 729 right now but the Loki Rxton1 (regular) seems easier to use. I'm in such a dilemma right now.
For what it's worth, I can tell you there's only two ways to make a rubber tacky: either give it a tacky coating after manufacture, or else use lower viscosity rubber that is not fully cured.

With tacky coatings you find they tend to wear out / wear off after a while -- the original 729 rubbers I used back in the 90's were famous for it - they was only tacky for about 20-30 hours play, and after that it was just grippy.... Which is ironic, as this was when they played best IMO.

If I had to guess what happened, Loki have either trialled both tacky and non tacky versions (doubtful, as the Rxton 3 Top is their specifically non-tacky version), or else they were experimenting with different coatings and their early draft versions weren't tacky enough.

Third option is it's either oxidized stock which became exposed to the air, old stock that has hardened (unlikely given it's a relatively new rubber), or else it's not being kept in the proper storage conditions by the retailer and is going off sooner than it's supposed to (yes -- rubber actually goes off... Just like tyres, TT rubbers have a shelf life, and their performance drops the older they get.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
For what it's worth, I can tell you there's only two ways to make a rubber tacky: either give it a tacky coating after manufacture, or else use lower viscosity rubber that is not fully cured.

With tacky coatings you find they tend to wear out / wear off after a while -- the original 729 rubbers I used back in the 90's were famous for it - they was only tacky for about 20-30 hours play, and after that it was just grippy.... Which is ironic, as this was when they played best IMO.

If I had to guess what happened, Loki have either trialled both tacky and non tacky versions (doubtful, as the Rxton 3 Top is their specifically non-tacky version), or else they were experimenting with different coatings and their early draft versions weren't tacky enough.

Third option is it's either oxidized stock which became exposed to the air, old stock that has hardened (unlikely given it's a relatively new rubber), or else it's not being kept in the proper storage conditions by the retailer and is going off sooner than it's supposed to (yes -- rubber actually goes off... Just like tyres, TT rubbers have a shelf life, and their performance drops the older they get.)

I have no doubt that yours is as tacky as you described. I think lodro mentioned something similar with Rxton V with some batches being tacky while others being not. As far as my example goes, it's still got a protective film on it. The package was not vacuum sealed, though, so storage conditions may have played a role. If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's just inconsistent batches.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I think lodro mentioned something similar with Rxton V with some batches being tacky while others being not.
sorry, I feel a correction is in order.
What I have been trying to say was " Some batches are very tacky and others are only tacky but not very tacky. They are still tacky enough to work for me, about as tacky as a commercial H3Neo.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Keep me posted mate! :D
Yesterday my Loki 9 star Racket has arrived. It came delivered inside the free cover with the nasty tiger-face.
The blade is nicely made and looks as good as in the pictures.
It is a bit light, 170gr , I will only be able to give the weight of the blade only when i strip the rubbers off.
My interest in this unit was twofold. One - I thought this would be a cheap way of getting my first blade with Koto outer layer, in this case 2 layers over plain carbon.
Two- I was interested in the rubbers because they come with different color soft sponges.

After a couple of hundred of my standard top-spin shots from my robo which is 40km/h -3700rpm, the blade feels not at all as expected. I expected it to be fast and nasty but it seems to be a nothing like it. It plays easy enough , a decent all-round blade, actually quite good for close in work which i found out using my other standard shot with back-spin 23km/h-2850rpm.

The bounce of the rubbers is not excessive. Similar strength as my standard 5s with 1 layer of Seamoon. The stickiness and tackiness or grip is the same too but the material used for the top seems a little bit different. The red color is a bit duller , the black is virtually identical to the standard 5s. Everything feels softer but I had to adjust my angle slightly downwards otherwise the shots all got long.
The next step will be to strip the rubbers and glue them onto an identical blades then a proper
comparison will be possible.

It's a bit of fun. that cost me 60 nz$
I can sell the case for a tenner.
2 Rxton5 these days would probably do me out of Nz $ 45
So I am sure the blade is worth a fiver 😁

Last edited:
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
1682267564382.png

New Loki topsheets are now approved by ITTF. Looking forward to them!

• Love