Loki Rubbers

I haven't tried the Rxton 5 yet - only the Rxton 1 in red and black, and the Rxton 3 in black and blue.

I note the blue and pink Rxton 3 are being sold on Aliexpress at a $10 premium to the black and red. Whether this is a sign of their popularity or just a positioning / marketing thing, I'm not sure.

The Blue Rxton 3 really is sufficiently different to the black that it should be called by another rname - the differences to my mind were just too stark between the two (though having said that, the black and blue do still feel quite similar in many ways too... so I'm assuming the pimple structure between them is identical, even if the sponge and topsheet isn't.)

I showed the R3 blue around my club and the consensus was the white sponge seemed a bit more like a 729 sponge... It had the same kind of look and feel in some ways... But that said, I have not seen that particular sponge being used anywhere else either (maybe it will be used on the battle 3? Who knows...)

A few people have commented that the Rxton 1 and 3 use the same topsheet, just different sponges. Whether or not that is true for the R1 and regular R3, it is definitely NOT true of the R3Blue. I bought both the R3black and R3 blue at the same time, and the R3Blue was noticeable stiffer... Like hugely so. The text imprint details on the blue's LARC was clean and sharp as a tack. The black was also pretty clear, but the blue held the edge.

One final point - out of the box, the black sat flat on the table while the blue has a slight negative / concave curl to it. The Blue topsheet curved up slightly at the corners and edges, so definitely a very hard topsheet (no need to boost this one, it's fast enough already... but if you absolutely positively must boost your rubber instead of buying one factory boosted like everyone else, then I'm guessing this one may stand up to it quite well.)

Thanks for the review.
Guys, do you have any other updates?
I have already ordered Blue and Pink to give it a try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023

Never played with Rxton 5.
H3 and H3neo (both boosted) are still slightly better than Arthur China but not by much. Here you have a little tradeoff compared to how you boosted the H3. The Arthur China is overall faster and easier to trigger its potential. You have a slightly better margin for errors in many situations. The disadvantage to H3 is the amount of spin the rubbers can produce. H3 is suprior here and getting the desired arc from your loops is easier.
I did switch from H3 to Arthur China and it didnt took long to adjust. You need to be aware that ball goes a bit wider and has little less spin, but if you have that in mind the adjustments are easy to make.

Right now i am eager to test Big Dipper 2 actually because ive read that it is a good alternative to H3 and is supposed to be consistent from batch to batch (unlike Big Dipper). On top i get these rubbers for 15€ from princett which is a great deal. If that doesnt work i fear i have to go to Xiom (Vega China) or smth like this, because getting rubbers from Aliexpress to germany right now is not easy. Either there no shops who ship to germany or the prices are way too high, like H3 (36-42€).
We will see.

Do you still use LAC? Vega China is good but is very heavy.

This user has no status.
Do you still use LAC? Vega China is good but is very heavy.
Actually not. I moved to Big Dipper 2 which proved to be a decent rubber if propperly boosted. After it got its decent curl it became quite nice to play with.

But as ive had to help out our higher league teams i got to a serious limit of my speed capabilities with it. Hard strokes were spinny but at this level ez to block if your opponent gets used to and has the time.

Currently i am playing with battle 2 bs which is more dynamic and faster even unboosted (testing it boosted is on my To-Do list for the upcoming offseason). But If that rubber will go far beyond 30 euros ill probably go back to lac. They are quite comparable imo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Actually not. I moved to Big Dipper 2 which proved to be a decent rubber if propperly boosted. After it got its decent curl it became quite nice to play with.

But as ive had to help out our higher league teams i got to a serious limit of my speed capabilities with it. Hard strokes were spinny but at this level ez to block if your opponent gets used to and has the time.

Currently i am playing with battle 2 bs which is more dynamic and faster even unboosted (testing it boosted is on my To-Do list for the upcoming offseason). But If that rubber will go far beyond 30 euros ill probably go back to lac. They are quite comparable imo
Bd2 is just unboosted BD isnt it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
This user has no status.
Do you know specifically what difference BD2 has from BD?
Well i would say you have to ask Yinhe for that. Maybe they are just mixing a different color making their sponges... Who knows.

In terms of playing characteristics the BD 2 is was better, and way more consistent even boosted. Though i have to admit that BD BS is faster. Even boosted BD 2 requires decent technique and power to aquire the same speed. But it is way better to control and its spin capabilities are way higher

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Well i would say you have to ask Yinhe for that. Maybe they are just mixing a different color making their sponges... Who knows.

In terms of playing characteristics the BD 2 is was better, and way more consistent even boosted. Though i have to admit that BD BS is faster. Even boosted BD 2 requires decent technique and power to aquire the same speed. But it is way better to control and its spin capabilities are way higher
hmm, BD2 sounds like its closer to H3? more spin, less rebound, more control

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The Blue topsheet curved up slightly at the corners and edges, so definitely a very hard topsheet (no need to boost this one, it's fast enough already... but if you absolutely positively must boost your rubber instead of buying one factory boosted like everyone else, then I'm guessing this one may stand up to it quite well.)
Some of us do never boost for speed but simply to soften up a sponge that for all intents and purposes can be like a cardboard. Especially in rubbers like H3 and Rxton5

Reactions: Wakkibatty
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Thanks for the review.
Blue and Pink is not Tacky at all.
Blue is a 40 deg sponge on their scale, ESN-wise it feels more like 51-52
Pink is 39 deg sponge on their scale, ESN-wise it feels more like 47-49

Decent spin, but spin even more when you really engage the sponge hard. Feels like a hybrid euro rubber without the tack. Something along those lines... It pairs well with stiff blades.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

Decent spin, but spin even more when you really engage the sponge hard. Feels like a hybrid euro rubber without the tack. Something along those lines... It pairs well with stiff blades.

Where did you get that info from? Is it listed somewhere or your personal impressions from handling them?

I bought a sheet of blue to use as a backhand rubber but 51-52 might be a bit too hard of a sponge for that. Any idea how it responds to boosting?

This user has no status.
Thanks for the review.
Nope... or not as far as the R3 Blue and pink versions are concerned -- they're just great rubbers IMO.

Been using the Rxton 3 Blue quite a bit and I really like it. After about 50 hours playing time, all the playing characteristics I reported have stood up over time pretty well... Still fast, still reasonably tacky given its age, and still has the same great low throw. When new, the rubber is tacky enough to slow down your slower touch shots quite a lot, but after about 10-15 hours, this effect was all but gone... Still tacky, but not tacky enough to hold the ball, just lift it.

Please note I don't boost at all, I just wait for the rubbers to play in, which takes about 10-20 hours depending on how hard you hit... which is partially the reason it's lasting so well. Booster really shortens rubber life in my experience. If you're not using it for comp, and don't need booster to help it play in quickly, then giving it time to settle and soften up gives you a fantastic rubber, and a longer feasible playing life as a competitive rubber. I note the blue R3 has stayed far tackier than the black one, despite them being fitted at the same time to the same blade. The blue rubber looks worn but okay, but the black started getting a really patchy finish after about 20 hours play. Clearly the black topsheet has a sticky coating, where the blue uses a slightly more viscose rubber which helps it retain its tack longer.

I would also add that -- just like a lot of Loki's rubbers -- this one goes best on a harder, stiffer blade rather than one with a sof feel and lots of flex.

The blade my R3blue is fitted to for example has Queensland Walnut outers (an Australian native timber species, which is not really a walnut) which are extremely hard, stiff, and fast, and have a wonderful crisp feel to them (just like European walnut -- just more so 😁😁).

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc and turbozed
This user has no status.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Rxton 3 TOP (which has darkish blue sponge), as opposed to the Rxton 3 BLUE (which has an electric blue topsheet)?

I ask because the Rxton 3 BLUE is definitely very tacky, and I currently have it fitted to one of my spare blades.

I also have a brand new set of Rxton 3 TOP rubbers at home though (Red & Black,both in max). Both of those are definitely traditional Euro-style rubbers, they aren't even remotely tacky, and they also sound a lot closer to the rubbers you're describing.

(NB: Haven't had a chance to fit, play-test, or assess the Rxton 3 TOP rubbers yet, but am planning to do so later this month, and will be sure to post a review here on TTD afterwards. 🙂)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Nope... or not as far as the R3 Blue and pink versions are concerned -- they're just great rubbers IMO.

Been using the Rxton 3 Blue quite a bit and I really like it. After about 50 hours playing time, all the playing characteristics I reported have stood up over time pretty well... Still fast, still reasonably tacky given its age, and still has the same great low throw. When new, the rubber is tacky enough to slow down your slower touch shots quite a lot, but after about 10-15 hours, this effect was all but gone... Still tacky, but not tacky enough to hold the ball, just lift it.

Please note I don't boost at all, I just wait for the rubbers to play in, which takes about 10-20 hours depending on how hard you hit... which is partially the reason it's lasting so well. Booster really shortens rubber life in my experience. If you're not using it for comp, and don't need booster to help it play in quickly, then giving it time to settle and soften up gives you a fantastic rubber, and a longer feasible playing life as a competitive rubber. I note the blue R3 has stayed far tackier than the black one, despite them being fitted at the same time to the same blade. The blue rubber looks worn but okay, but the black started getting a really patchy finish after about 20 hours play. Clearly the black topsheet has a sticky coating, where the blue uses a slightly more viscose rubber which helps it retain its tack longer.

I would also add that -- just like a lot of Loki's rubbers -- this one goes best on a harder, stiffer blade rather than one with a sof feel and lots of flex.

The blade my R3blue is fitted to for example has Queensland Walnut outers (an Australian native timber species, which is not really a walnut) which are extremely hard, stiff, and fast, and have a wonderful crisp feel to them (just like European walnut -- just more so 😁😁).

Thanks for the update and for sharing your experience. I bought a sheet of Rxton 3 Blue during the aliexpress sale.

How do you think it would play on flexible soft outer blades? I was going to try it on either a Nittaku Acoustic or Sanwei Fextra as a BH rubber but now am thinking that might not be ideal based on your impressions. Sounds like this is more of a FH rubber and might be slow on my blades.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the update and for sharing your experience. I bought a sheet of Rxton 3 Blue during the aliexpress sale.

How do you think it would play on flexible soft outer blades? I was going to try it on either a Nittaku Acoustic or Sanwei Fextra as a BH rubber but now am thinking that might not be ideal based on your impressions. Sounds like this is more of a FH rubber and might be slow on my blades.
The R3Blue is right on the border with FH vs BH. If you hit your BH shots/drives/loops pretty hard, it's just springy enough to act as a BH rubber, even when new (it's more BH friendly once it's played in). If however you lack a bit of power on your BH, then you'd probably prefer it on FH, as to get the best from the rubber, you have to hit hard and really engage the sponge... It then rewards you with huge speed, spin,a very low throw angle, and truly surprising levels of control, even at high speed.

Being so tacky it's also better suited to an active/attacking short game as opposed to a passive short game. Try gentle pushing with this against heavy spin, and the ball isn't going anywhere near the table unless you angle the blade a LOT to correct for incoming spin.

On a soft flexy blade, IMO the rubber should go reasonably okay, but not brilliant. The sponge is pretty hard - about 40° Chinese, or 52° Euro, which means it's almost impossible to bottom out - which is really its greatest strength. The top sheet meanwhile is thick, dense, hard, and tough as an old boot when new, with shorter pimples to compensate. A flexier blade will absorb more of the ball's impact, and rob you of the rubbers top gears. Plus that beautiful, low, headlong-hurtling throw angle will kick up more due to the flex. It may also be a bit harder to control your shots at full speed... But hey, who knows... really it all depends on the blade, (I'm not personally familiar enough with the blades you cited to comment with any authority sorry... though if you have an outer-carbon blade hanging around somewhere, maybe try it on that first).

Softer outers (like the flexy blade) will also absorb a little of the force during driving, and may possibly rob you of a little bit of high speed control, comparatively speaking.

With the R3 Blue, you just don't need that extra dwell time you get from a flexier blade... The sponge and topsheet together are really a very highly tuned (ie: I mean adjusted, not boosted) combination hardness-wise -- they were just made for each other. (I get the feeling Loki prototypes and refined this thing to death before releasing it).

For me personally, the sponge and top sheet together provide *just* the right levels of impact resistance vs catapult-effect to provide both brilliant speed and spin *and* great control during hard hitting.

Furthermore, if you DON'T boost the rubber, but play it in instead, the the topsheet and sponge both wear in *at the same rate*. After 15-20 hours of hitting, you'll have a slightly softer and more springy rubber on your hands, but it'll still have that brilliant balance in hardness between sponge and topsheet, so it's performance doesn't drop away nearly as quickly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Rxton 3 TOP (which has darkish blue sponge), as opposed to the Rxton 3 BLUE (which has an electric blue topsheet)?

I ask because the Rxton 3 BLUE is definitely very tacky, and I currently have it fitted to one of my spare blades.

I also have a brand new set of Rxton 3 TOP rubbers at home though (Red & Black,both in max). Both of those are definitely traditional Euro-style rubbers, they aren't even remotely tacky, and they also sound a lot closer to the rubbers you're describing.

(NB: Haven't had a chance to fit, play-test, or assess the Rxton 3 TOP rubbers yet, but am planning to do so later this month, and will be sure to post a review here on TTD afterwards. 🙂)
What is this Rxton 3 TOP rubbers that you speak of. That may be different? , Loki is very confusing.
The Rxton 3 Blue( with the blue topsheet) is not tacky at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Where did you get that info from? Is it listed somewhere or your personal impressions from handling them?

I bought a sheet of blue to use as a backhand rubber but 51-52 might be a bit too hard of a sponge for that. Any idea how it responds to boosting?
This is my personal impressions and based on my experience with different ESN rubbers. Since you already have the blue, try opening it up and pressing on the sponge since you already have it :)