Looking for a blade/set up recommendation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Acoustic (all wood) is a great blade, I have one with the large handle, so the standard handle should suit you.

Given the choice between an Acoustic and a Japan made Primorac, my personal opinion is that the Primorac edges it. It’s not a ‘better’ blade, it just feels nice to me and plays well.

The standard Primorac, is one of BTY’s best selling blades of all time and shouldn’t be overlooked, especially as it only costs about €35.

TT11 have weekly specials, the Acoustic appears on it fairly regularly, depending how desperate you are to get one, you could wait and purchase when on special offer and with your saving buy a std Primorac as well !!!!!!
Thanks for the answer.

Do you know if by any chance the Japan Primorac has smaller handle than the regular one? I was aiming to get that blade initially but some people say the handle is a bit larger than averega. Since my hands are small I think I might be be beter gettign a small handle blade.

Just started checking for TT11 specials a week ago, they do decent offers honestly, and can get soe decent rubbers for a decent price too, so will keep an eye

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
never use dit before, but how heavy is it approximately? the word "power" in it makes me envision heaviness lmfao
between 84-89gms ...one of the best price : performance ratio, of any 5-ply blade, in the OFF- range...Even if I don't factor-in the price, I yet prefer this blade over Acoustic.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Same situation as mine when I started recently. I tried different setups. Let me give you same insights that my coach gave me:

- No composite materials. Only wood 5 ply is pretty standard choice.
- Soft rubbers no less than 42.5 degrees
- Blade is more important than rubbers and lasts longer so it's a better investment
- No chinese equipment because we're no aliens in TT :) jokes aside, you would need some decent legs training for that.

I tried few blades but Yasaka Sweden Extra, for the price it has, is an absolute bargain. Feeling and touch are amazing. The sound of the wood when you hit the ball is an additional feedback. You should definitely consider this product.

For the rubber, I've also tried a few but Xiom Vega Europe 2.0mm at its price point and for its quality is hands down best choice.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
never use dit before, but how heavy is it approximately? the word "power" in it makes me envision heaviness lmfao
Stratus Power Wood is not that heavy. The blade is the same weight as most 5-ply. HOWEVER, the face of the blade is slightly bigger than standard so the overall racket (blade plus rubber two sides) will be heavier than most.

When I was using it, I did not feel that it was extra heavy or not.

I also own two Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Blue. I agree that is a good choice.

As for the person asking the question, the blade handle does matter especially when it is too small. Although in that case, you can apply handle tape on it.

I think at the end you have to decide how much money you want to spend. Either you have it (then you can get Acoustic) or you don't (hey for the price of one Acoustic, you can get both Tibhar Samsonove Force Pro Blue and another wood blade of your choice)!

Agree with TT11 running blade discount. 25%.

I will be frank. I always buy in bulk to get the 30% discount. I skip the weekly 25% discount unless it is an accessories (like glue and shirts/shorts) is on sale and is otherwise not eligible for 30% bulk discount.

Ask around the club and buy in bulk from TT11. Making it to 30% is not hard considering how expensive ESN rubbers are nowadays. If you want to get Acoustic, that's $154 alone. I think you need to get to $300 and change to get 30% off?

This user has no status.
Thanks for the answer.

Do you know if by any chance the Japan Primorac has smaller handle than the regular one? I was aiming to get that blade initially but some people say the handle is a bit larger than averega. Since my hands are small I think I might be be beter gettign a small handle blade.

Just started checking for TT11 specials a week ago, they do decent offers honestly, and can get soe decent rubbers for a decent price too, so will keep an eye
I used to own EU version of Primorac and another player at the gym has same in JP version. I found no appreciable difference in flared handle. Also pretty standard size if I compare with Yasaka Sweden Extra or Victas Euro Feeling that I also own.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Ok guys I have narrowed my options to these:

Acoustic with Vega Europe/Vega X (both 2.0mm)
Falcima with Rozena (1.9mm and 2.1mm)

The Acoustic ends up being like 30$ more expensive than the Falcima set up.

Would love to hear some feedback before making the purchase, thanks in advance

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Blades aside, I found Rozena to maintain it's playing characteristics far longer than any Vega did for me. If you're playing a lot then that could be a deciding factor. But I do prefer how Vega X plays over Rozena

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I don't know about the legivity of Rozena v.s. Vega products.

However, I don't use Butterfly products just for the principle of it. Butterfly does not give discount no matter how much you want to order. Frankly, for us mere mortals (not playing on ITTF tours), many brands have the right rubbers for us. My vote is for Acoustic with Vega Europe/Vega X (2.0mm).

Now, some people say Butterfly is the best. And they have no interest testing different rubbers and will make each purchase last like forever. In that situation, Butterfly is "cheaper" in the grand scheme of things. I agree with that too. So if you feel like you will "miss out" by not getting Butterfly then go ahead with the purchase.

I personally like to EJ. And EJ'ing on Butterfly brand is just wayyyyyy to expensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

I’ve owned both blades and have played with both Rozena and Vega pro/x recently - Rozena was on Falcima.

Falcima + Rozena is a nice combination and is pretty fast, spinny and controllable.

Vega pro and X I found a little less dynamic than Rozena and it felt a bit dull to me.

Of the two blades, Falcima is a little faster (mine were both 89g) but also a crisper, harder feeling blade (more like a 5 ply Viscaria) I liked both but much preferred the handle of the Falcima.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Blades aside, I found Rozena to maintain it's playing characteristics far longer than any Vega did for me. If you're playing a lot then that could be a deciding factor. But I do prefer how Vega X plays over Rozena

Durability might play a bit of a factor, but I dont plan to change them too often, since I play kinda frequently now but might not be too much the case in the future. Its also not as easy to get rubbers here in Mexico.
I don't know about the legivity of Rozena v.s. Vega products.

However, I don't use Butterfly products just for the principle of it. Butterfly does not give discount no matter how much you want to order. Frankly, for us mere mortals (not playing on ITTF tours), many brands have the right rubbers for us. My vote is for Acoustic with Vega Europe/Vega X (2.0mm).

Now, some people say Butterfly is the best. And they have no interest testing different rubbers and will make each purchase last like forever. In that situation, Butterfly is "cheaper" in the grand scheme of things. I agree with that too. So if you feel like you will "miss out" by not getting Butterfly then go ahead with the purchase.

I personally like to EJ. And EJ'ing on Butterfly brand is just wayyyyyy to expensive.

I dont really think I will change my equipment too often, whatever blade I get probably is gonna stay with me like forever. Gettting stuff in mexico is not as easy, might just get a few rubbers in the future.

Im deciding between Butterfly and NIttaku because I think are the best brands accordind to what I have searched online, but Bfly doesnt have too much all wood options, they have premium blades but are with carbon or some kind of composite material. Im kinda leading for the Acoustic because I get top of the line product from them, while Bfly only gives me like an entry/mid level blade at most.

And yeah, Im going like all bfly or different brands for the reasons you listed, Bfly doenst offer disscount, also you cant get them from any store, they have some restricions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I’ve owned both blades and have played with both Rozena and Vega pro/x recently - Rozena was on Falcima.

Falcima + Rozena is a nice combination and is pretty fast, spinny and controllable.

Vega pro and X I found a little less dynamic than Rozena and it felt a bit dull to me.

Of the two blades, Falcima is a little faster (mine were both 89g) but also a crisper, harder feeling blade (more like a 5 ply Viscaria) I liked both but much preferred the handle of the Falcima.
Some people might say the Acoustic might be the king of wood blades, well its also one of the most expensive blades from Nittaku.

Falcima is like an entry level/mid level from Bfly, but thye also dont have any more premium all wood products, they have a lot of luxury blades, made of carbon or other composites.

I dont really have much experience with blades, and rather buy one an stick with it for like forever (unless it breaks, hopefully not)

Comparing Acoustic and Falcima, does acoustic feels way more premium? My hands are in the smalish side, but I will get some grip tape if I end up getting the acoustic just in case. But taking the handles aside, did you like one more than the other? I would consider Acoustic + rozena, but its hard to mix bfly products some times.

This user has no status.
Hello guys, glad to do my first post, I have been researching a lot about table tennis recently. A little background about me:

Early 30s, played ping pong when I was at high school/university for 1-2 years casually, like the term you use, basement table tennis.
I just recently joined a former table tennis club at my city, Im attending to grupal sessions, probably like 2 months ago.

I would say I dont play that bad, but my technique needs improvement, since I kinda have some bad habbits of technique from before (what can you expect of learning yourself or with a group of people like you)

I borrowed a racket from the club for a bit, it was some old wood blade (dont know the caracteristics) with some Vega rubbers with some use.

Recenly I purchased my first blade, some 3 star palio from Ali express with Ak47 yellow rubber, its 5ply+2 carbon. Weights around 156g, wich feels pretty light.

Sorry for the long story, well to the real point, I kinda miss the "feel" of the wood blade, the carbon one feels a bit weird since it sounds more "empty" and I cant really tell when I hit the ball correctly.
Doing some research I have checked the following blades:
-Nittaku Latika
-Butterfly Falcima
-Andro TP Ligna All
-Nittaku Acoustic

My goal is to aim for a good quality wood blade that could last me maybe forever since I doubt I will replace it soon, probably gonna give table tennis a few years, but I doubt I reach a professional level since I go to play 2/3 times a week.
A part of me says screw it get the acoustic and forget about the other blades, but its a bit more expensive than the rest, and I think im gonna feel weird for having probably the best blade in the club (at least one of it) while being kinda beginner and well, I can win to other players who arent that good, but the old players in the club I cant really beat them.

Any advice is welcome, I would like to stick with wood blades, I also dont want a super fast blade since im developing tecniques still, thats why Im abit worried about falcima (probably the fastest on the list)

Thanks in advance

Since you have mentioned you don't want a super fast blade (or racket), I would suggest you to get a pre-assembled, but more advanced racket, specifically this one:

Yinhe blades are pretty good in terms of price/performance, and I never had any disappointment with any Yinhe blades yet (I have bought a lot of them, many different models). This specific blade (Uranus U2) is a 7 ply all-wood with Koto outer layers - feels very predictable in practical use.

Hurricane 3 NEO is a classic attacking rubber mostly for the forehand, not overly fast, but very spinny (with good rubber care products /e.g. Revolution No.3 rubber cleaner&rejuvenator/, tackiness can be preserved for a long time, some people may opt for not preserving it that much).

Friendship Focus III Snipe is a fairly lightweight rubber with good bounce for the backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Since you have mentioned you don't want a super fast blade (or racket), I would suggest you to get a pre-assembled, but more advanced racket, specifically this one:

Yinhe blades are pretty good in terms of price/performance, and I never had any disappointment with any Yinhe blades yet (I have bought a lot of them, many different models). This specific blade (Uranus U2) is a 7 ply all-wood with Koto outer layers - feels very predictable in practical use.

Hurricane 3 NEO is a classic attacking rubber mostly for the forehand, not overly fast, but very spinny (with good rubber care products /e.g. Revolution No.3 rubber cleaner&rejuvenator/, tackiness can be preserved for a long time, some people may opt for not preserving it that much).

Friendship Focus III Snipe is a fairly lightweight rubber with good bounce for the backhand.

That's a pretty good combo. This is what a developing player would use in China based on what people who frequent Chinese forums say.

While some people might like thin flexy blades like Acoustic with soft rubbers like Vega Euro, the combination of the two feels absolutely terrible to me. Played with an Acoustic with soft Fastarc S-1 for a few months and the feeling was so mushy and unpredictable. @damszelfly I'd try out someone's setup with a thin blade (under 5.8mm) and soft rubber before committing over $200 to the setup.

Reactions: Celebration
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Some people might say the Acoustic might be the king of wood blades, well its also one of the most expensive blades from Nittaku.

Falcima is like an entry level/mid level from Bfly, but thye also dont have any more premium all wood products, they have a lot of luxury blades, made of carbon or other composites.

I dont really have much experience with blades, and rather buy one an stick with it for like forever (unless it breaks, hopefully not)

Comparing Acoustic and Falcima, does acoustic feels way more premium? My hands are in the smalish side, but I will get some grip tape if I end up getting the acoustic just in case. But taking the handles aside, did you like one more than the other? I would consider Acoustic + rozena, but its hard to mix bfly products some times.
Acoustic is a premium blade and if it weren’t for the handle (large straight is best IMO but tough to find) id choose it over Falcima as it has a slightly better feel and is a bit softer - but they are both great quality. Personally the handle and balance are so critical I wouldn’t buy another Acoustic without straight large handle. If it’s not an issue for you then I’d go for Acoustic + Rozena.

This user has no status.
That's a pretty good combo. This is what a developing player would use in China based on what people who frequent Chinese forums say.

While some people might like thin flexy blades like Acoustic with soft rubbers like Vega Euro, the combination of the two feels absolutely terrible to me. Played with an Acoustic with soft Fastarc S-1 for a few months and the feeling was so mushy and unpredictable. @damszelfly I'd try out someone's setup with a thin blade (under 5.8mm) and soft rubber before committing over $200 to the setup.
Yes, that was also my thought, but on my side, simply the price considerations were sufficient, i. e. from a $20 racket, I think a $80 racket is a suitable step up - getting a only blade at around the twice of it (not sure, but I guess, Acoustic is within the $150-200 range) does not seem to be a sensible idea - and as you say, its flexiness can render it a bit too special for many players - beginner/intermediate players seem to favor medium stiffness (both too flexy and stiff can be bad for them), which makes Yinhe Uranus U2 a perfect fit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood was my first serious blade. I used it with Rasanter R53 for FH and Hexer Grip for BH. That combination gave me good control, good loop and smash. With just 5-plies of wood, I can feel the vibration and can handle the angle and arc when hit the different cases of attacked ball. 8.5/10 for me IMO as a fresh 6 months exp in tabletennis. Hope its help!