Looking for a blade/set up recommendation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Hello guys, glad to do my first post, I have been researching a lot about table tennis recently. A little background about me:

Early 30s, played ping pong when I was at high school/university for 1-2 years casually, like the term you use, basement table tennis.
I just recently joined a former table tennis club at my city, Im attending to grupal sessions, probably like 2 months ago.

I would say I dont play that bad, but my technique needs improvement, since I kinda have some bad habbits of technique from before (what can you expect of learning yourself or with a group of people like you)

I borrowed a racket from the club for a bit, it was some old wood blade (dont know the caracteristics) with some Vega rubbers with some use.

Recenly I purchased my first blade, some 3 star palio from Ali express with Ak47 yellow rubber, its 5ply+2 carbon. Weights around 156g, wich feels pretty light.

Sorry for the long story, well to the real point, I kinda miss the "feel" of the wood blade, the carbon one feels a bit weird since it sounds more "empty" and I cant really tell when I hit the ball correctly.
Doing some research I have checked the following blades:
-Nittaku Latika
-Butterfly Falcima
-Andro TP Ligna All
-Nittaku Acoustic

My goal is to aim for a good quality wood blade that could last me maybe forever since I doubt I will replace it soon, probably gonna give table tennis a few years, but I doubt I reach a professional level since I go to play 2/3 times a week.
A part of me says screw it get the acoustic and forget about the other blades, but its a bit more expensive than the rest, and I think im gonna feel weird for having probably the best blade in the club (at least one of it) while being kinda beginner and well, I can win to other players who arent that good, but the old players in the club I cant really beat them.

Any advice is welcome, I would like to stick with wood blades, I also dont want a super fast blade since im developing tecniques still, thats why Im abit worried about falcima (probably the fastest on the list)

Thanks in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Got an Acoustic and really liked it, but you are correct that it is not cheap.
You can get an Falcima which is not a slow blade at all and probably even faster than the Acoustic. THe Falcima would be less expensive than the Acoustic, but perhaps harder to control.

I would recommend to go for the Falcima and just stick to it (probably with more toned down rubbers).

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Got an Acoustic and really liked it, but you are correct that it is not cheap.
You can get an Falcima which is not a slow blade at all and probably even faster than the Acoustic. THe Falcima would be less expensive than the Acoustic, but perhaps harder to control.

I would recommend to go for the Falcima and just stick to it (probably with more toned down rubbers).

Hello thanks for stepping by

Is there any reason you choose the Falcima over the other 2? I wanted a primorac initially but online reviews say the handle is a bit bigger than normal, since I have small hands I rather stick to something regular, and some of the options have read have some small handles actually.

I do like the Falcima, but I think its even faster than Korbel, so that has me a bit worried I cant control it and end up doing bad stuff due to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hello guys, glad to do my first post, I have been researching a lot about table tennis recently. A little background about me:

Early 30s, played ping pong when I was at high school/university for 1-2 years casually, like the term you use, basement table tennis.
I just recently joined a former table tennis club at my city, Im attending to grupal sessions, probably like 2 months ago.

I would say I dont play that bad, but my technique needs improvement, since I kinda have some bad habbits of technique from before (what can you expect of learning yourself or with a group of people like you)

I borrowed a racket from the club for a bit, it was some old wood blade (dont know the caracteristics) with some Vega rubbers with some use.

Recenly I purchased my first blade, some 3 star palio from Ali express with Ak47 yellow rubber, its 5ply+2 carbon. Weights around 156g, wich feels pretty light.

Sorry for the long story, well to the real point, I kinda miss the "feel" of the wood blade, the carbon one feels a bit weird since it sounds more "empty" and I cant really tell when I hit the ball correctly.
-Nittaku Latika
-Butterfly Falcima
-Andro TP Ligna All
-Nittaku Acoustic

My goal is to aim for a good quality wood blade that could last me maybe forever since I doubt I will replace it soon, probably gonna give table tennis a few years, but I doubt I reach a professional level since I go to play 2/3 times a week.
A part of me says screw it get the acoustic and forget about the other blades, but its a bit more expensive than the rest, and I think im gonna feel weird for having probably the best blade in the club (at least one of it) while being kinda beginner and well, I can win to other players who arent that good, but the old players in the club I cant really beat them.

Any advice is welcome, I would like to stick with wood blades, I also dont want a super fast blade since im developing tecniques still, thats why Im abit worried about falcima (probably the fastest on the list)

Thanks in advance
your "old" wood blade which is incredibaly light is probably a vintage, which is very hard to find, go with a falcima, or a timo boll tj, those are pretty light aswell. Maybe look at an ovtcharov s1 or s2> Some others said that those were for defensive or ALL- play tho... For the rubbers maybe look at vega intro or vega x...

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023

Is there any reason you choose the Falcima over the other 2? I wanted a primorac initially but online reviews say the handle is a bit bigger than normal, since I have small hands I rather stick to something regular, and some of the options have read have some small handles actually.

I do like the Falcima, but I think its even faster than Korbel, so that has me a bit worried I cant control it and end up doing bad stuff due to it.
Don't look at the primorac, its too fast for you. If you don't like a basic 5+2 carbon blade, you won't like the primorac: it has butterfly's fastest carbon!, wonder when butterfly will produce an innerforce t5000?

Reactions: boltnut
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Don't look at the primorac, its too fast for you. If you don't like a basic 5+2 carbon blade, you won't like the primorac: it has butterfly's fastest carbon!, wonder when butterfly will produce an innerforce t5000?
Oh i didnt meant the primorac carbon, just the cheap basic one wich is like 50$, but the handle is a bit big according to internet searching that is why I think Im gonna skip it, because looks like a kinda good OFF-/All+ blade

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
your "old" wood blade which is incredibaly light is probably a vintage, which is very hard to find, go with a falcima, or a timo boll tj, those are pretty light aswell. Maybe look at an ovtcharov s1 or s2> Some others said that those were for defensive or ALL- play tho... For the rubbers maybe look at vega intro or vega x...
Its nothing too fancy, it was an old premade, that got put new rubbers into it ,it was not actuall mine. I tried to play with a 10year old premade but the rubbers are cracking now. That is why I got the preassembled palio im using now.

I just wanted to grab something nicer for the long term, might just get the Falcima and some medium rubbers so speed insnt crazy at all, and maybe swap them in the future if I manage to develope more skill.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
IFT5000 was discontinued in the late 2010's I believe

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
If you want best value for your money:

Sanwei Fextra 7, Yinhe U2, or Sword Day Break

If you want to pay a little bit more for non-Chinese brands with little to no difference in quality:

Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Blue, Xiom Offensive S

I wouldn't get an Acoustic unless you've played with it and know for sure you like it. The handle is too small for many (it was for me). I wouldn't get a Falcima either since it's overpriced and there's no corroborating reviews that indicates that the extra price is worth it. People seem to recommend it just because it's the rare Butterfly blade that is a 5 ply and isn't over $100.

Reactions: riemsesy and JJ Ng
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
There are a couple of BTY Primorac all wood options.
1) The standard €35 ish option
&
2) The ‘made in Japan’ version.

The made in Japan version is better quality, costs around €70
I have a couple of the Japan versions, they are really good. Regarding the handle, it’s not that big, but the Japan version is only available in Flared.

Standard version has flared, straight, anatomic and a small flared option.

The small flared option may be what you are looking for.

check out the Butterfly en website, it has a great blade matrix that gives some info regarding where they think their blades sit against each other, speed stiffness. Handle sizes are also shown.

Hope this helps some!!!

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022

Ok, I See where you are coming from.
If you have rather small hands I recommend the Acoustic definitely. Nittaku handles are known to be smaller and might be more comfortable for you.
If you are worried that the Acoustic is too fast, you could go with a Violin, but either one is fine. Just get one with a low weight, so it is not too heavy for you. Comfortable weight would be anything below 85g imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
There are a couple of BTY Primorac all wood options.
1) The standard €35 ish option
&
2) The ‘made in Japan’ version.

The made in Japan version is better quality, costs around €70
I have a couple of the Japan versions, they are really good. Regarding the handle, it’s not that big, but the Japan version is only available in Flared.

Standard version has flared, straight, anatomic and a small flared option.

The small flared option may be what you are looking for.

check out the Butterfly en website, it has a great blade matrix that gives some info regarding where they think their blades sit against each other, speed stiffness. Handle sizes are also shown.

Hope this helps some!!!
i guess if he really wants the japanese version, he can spend an hour or so sanding the normal flared handle to make it smaller?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

-Nittaku Latika
-Butterfly Falcima
-Andro TP Ligna All
-Nittaku Acoustic

Thanks in advance
You mention Falcima and Acoustic in one post; I love you already ❤️

Get a coin, flip it. Heads get Falcima, tail get Acoustic. Forget the rest. Simple.

Gozo: Helping the EJ community since 2021.
IMG_6077.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
You mention Falcima and Acoustic in one post; I love you already ❤️

Get a coin, flip it. Heads get Falcima, tail get Acoustic. Forget the rest. Simple.

Gozo: Helping the EJ community since 2021.
View attachment 25643
Have been doing some resarch and those looks like solid options, I kinda prefer the acoustic becuase its a bit slower but at the same time is really pricey.
Falcima hasnt got too much attention, probably because its new, Im just a bit worried its too fast for me to handle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
If you have small hands then maybe Acoustic will work out for you. If you want a light blade, then I have a 79g Acoustic in like-new condition I can sell you for the price of a new Falcima. Only catch is you'll have to wait about a month until I get back to North America.
Oh man that is really tempting, the Acoustic is kinda the blade I want, but well you know the price isnt cheap.
If this is for real I might just jump into that! I was aiming to get one from a store so they can assemble it for me, but I guess it isnt too hard if I read how to do it.
79g should be one of the lightest acoustic I have seen but probably not bad since my hands arent that big.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Acoustic (all wood) is a great blade, I have one with the large handle, so the standard handle should suit you.

Given the choice between an Acoustic and a Japan made Primorac, my personal opinion is that the Primorac edges it. It’s not a ‘better’ blade, it just feels nice to me and plays well.

The standard Primorac, is one of BTY’s best selling blades of all time and shouldn’t be overlooked, especially as it only costs about €35.

TT11 have weekly specials, the Acoustic appears on it fairly regularly, depending how desperate you are to get one, you could wait and purchase when on special offer and with your saving buy a std Primorac as well !!!!!!

Reactions: Marc