Looking for a blade with control and touch

This user has no status.
Hello, I'm looking for a new blade. Could you help me finding the right one?

I currently use a Butterfly Primorac OFF- (european version), I did like it in many ways but since I tried the Butterfly Primorac (Made in Japan) I realized what "a blade with touch" actually means. So now I want that feeling! Unfortunately that specific version of that blade isn't easy to find. So here is some information that might be useful for you to give me suggestions.

- Must have FL handle
- I liked the feel of the Butterfly Primorac (Made in Japan) and I want that kind of touch
- When I hit with my FH I used to like the nice ball-cracking sound of my old DHS 4002x (7 ply with H3 and G888)
- I like an offensive game and I tend to be a looper... I'm not saying I can manage to loop properly :)
- I'm a beginner and I need control more than speed, I guess it should be ALL+ or OFF-
- Because of my level and the characteristics I'm looking for, I believe blade should be 5-ply and all-wood (but up to you to prove me wrong on this)
- Do not consider price when suggesting, I prefer to invest in blade rather than rubbers

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello, I'm looking for a new blade. Could you help me finding the right one?

I currently use a Butterfly Primorac OFF- (european version), I did like it in many ways but since I tried the Butterfly Primorac (Made in Japan) I realized what "a blade with touch" actually means. So now I want that feeling! Unfortunately that specific version of that blade isn't easy to find. So here is some information that might be useful for you to give me suggestions.

- Must have FL handle
- I liked the feel of the Butterfly Primorac (Made in Japan) and I want that kind of touch
- When I hit with my FH I used to like the nice ball-cracking sound of my old DHS 4002x (7 ply with H3 and G888)
- I like an offensive game and I tend to be a looper... I'm not saying I can manage to loop properly :)
- I'm a beginner and I need control more than speed, I guess it should be ALL+ or OFF-
- Because of my level and the characteristics I'm looking for, I believe blade should be 5-ply and all-wood (but up to you to prove me wrong on this)
- Do not consider price when suggesting, I prefer to invest in blade rather than rubbers

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!
I happened to have a black tag Primorac OFF-. Great feel.

Similar blades include:
  • Nittaku Violin
  • Nittaku Acoustic
  • DHS Hao 2

Reactions: Trevize84
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Looks like a repackaged Primorac. It caught my eye up until I saw that it will only come in flared. That's no bueno for me, and also a little funny because Mizutani has always used a straight handle
It's actually a bit thicker than the Primorac, 5.7 vs. 5.5mm.

Mizutani actually switched to FL in the last few years of his career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I found the Victas Swat (7-ply Limba top, 1150Hz) has great touch and control. My current tournament blade. Note it is much slower than e.g. the 7-ply Clipper (~1400Hz).

Jul 2014
I found the Victas Swat (7-ply Limba top, 1150Hz) has great touch and control. My current tournament blade. Note it is much slower than e.g. the 7-ply Clipper (~1400Hz).
How heavy is yours? I have a rather light (~80g) Swat and I agree that it is a great blade. But my sample vibrates much more and has a smaller sweetspot than my 5 ply limba blades of similar thickness (SPW, OffS), its more similar to my Allround Evolutions in terms of feel and behavior, and I'm curious about trying one that is much heavier (85-90g) to see if it improves the stability.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
How heavy is yours? I have a rather light (~80g) Swat and I agree that it is a great blade. But my sample vibrates much more and has a smaller sweetspot than my 5 ply limba blades of similar thickness (SPW, OffS), its more similar to my Allround Evolutions in terms of feel and behavior, and I'm curious about trying one that is much heavier (85-90g) to see if it improves the stability.
I definitely think it would.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
Sorry to digress a bit off topic. I see that you have Stratus Power Wood and Offensive S, which one do you prefer the most and why?

As for the original topic, I once tried to bounce ball on Primorac Off- (Japan) and I found that it felt better compared to Primorac Off- (European version). The odd thing is that Japanese Primorac is quite thin (catalog states it is 5,5 mm in thickness), while my Europen Primorac is almost as thick as my Korbel (5.9 mm).

As for my recommendation, I think you should go for BTY Korbel (Japan) if you can't get any Primorac (Japan). As far as I know, Korbel is widely offered in stores, compared to Primorac Off-. I am talking Japanese version.