Ma Lin teaching TT ?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I think the video shows the variety of topspins and sidespins and how to disguise those serves. Look carefully, and you will see that they even teaches you where the ball should take the 1st bounce on the fast flat serve that Ma Lin was demonstrating (6:30). Interesting to see that they're revealing a lot of Ma Lin serves. He actually hit the ball with an upward motion for a bit of topspin, but it's ever so subtle! Even Waldner and LGL had troubles reading them.

And for those learning the devastating RPB, this is the video you want to see.

Great great video. I'm keeping this in my video bank. Thanks Poltery!!! :) Wish there could be more!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
This is more about the basic technique, show by both Ma Lin and Yan Sen (left handed). The first 9mins is about the service technique, but it is more focusing about the long serve (from ~6mins mark). It states that the most ideal/best for the ball hit on the table is close to the line, so that the impact will let the ball bounce faster. Actually, it also stated both Ma Lin and Yan Sen does use their upper body motion to create more spin on the serve, especially the sidespin serve. The video did shows the serve using RPB, but it does not recommend to use it for many times, due to that it can only surprise the opponent, but the serve is too weak due to the wrist and arm limitation.

After that, it demonstrate the basic technique of push by backhand, attack by forehand. This just remind me what we have practice in the old time lol.... we used to do this for 10~15mins for the every weekly lesson. when change from backhand to forehand, the force is focus on thumb, and when change from backhand to forehand, then force is focus on index finger to flip the paddle. But it also shows Ma Lin is more superior in this technique comapred to Yansen.

Then after that, it demonstrate the RPB > FH > RPB. And oh yeah, it did mention about you should hit the ball at the highest point, don't wait it drop (like my bad habit). And you can see there are two different stroke by Ma Lin, first fews hit are just like a normal push with small stroke, then when you want to put a faster ball, harder hit, then the stroke become larger. Then it also shows Yan Sen has a little hit point then Ma Lin, he takes the ball alittle early when doing RPB, and takes the ball alittle late when doing FH.

actually the video is not end yet. The last few secs it start shows the technique of switch backhand to forehand attack at the backhand side.