Ma long not invited for LIEBHERR 2011 Men's World Cup

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hehe best would be if Wang Hao got injured, then we would have another Ma Long - Zhang Jike final! :D

That is what I was thinking but did not want to say it. Hahaha

In my opinion, right now Zhang Jike and Ma Long are a notch above everyone else. And right now nobody is playing as well as Ma Long.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
That is what I was thinking but did not want to say it. Hahaha

In my opinion, right now Zhang Jike and Ma Long are a notch above everyone else. And right now nobody is playing as well as Ma Long.

Yeah I mean I think if Ma Long does keep up his unbelievable form, the Chinese might make an exception and not follow their rule of whoever is ranked top 2 by the June of the year before. I mean as far as I know, that's an internal rule established by China and not by the ITTF. Because I can't really think of any sport within the olympics that is not based on each individual country's own tryouts and own decision of who to send. If that is the case, I wouldn't mind seeing they choose Ma Long instead of either Wang Hao or ZJK.

Honestly I actually think it would be wiser for China to choose Wang Hao over ZJK. I know it would be more fun to see Ma Long and ZJK in the finals, if they both make it, but from a national standpoint, the Chinese team ought to think about who has the most chances of winning first, and in this regard, ZJK has shown a MUCH larger potential to losing to non-Chinese players in the past than Wang Hao or Ma Long has. This year he lost to Seo Hyun Doek in the China Open, Gavlas, Antonin in the English Open, and then Boll in the Qatar Open. That level of uncertainty just makes him a bad choice. The Chinese want to play two players who have significantly different styles of play, therefore if one of them is beaten because he matches up poorly in style against some player, their other player won't lose also because he has the same style as his teammate. Having a penhold and a shakehand would provide the maximum difference in style and would further decrease the chances of both Chinese players being knocked off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yeah I mean I think if Ma Long does keep up his unbelievable form, the Chinese might make an exception and not follow their rule of whoever is ranked top 2 by the June of the year before. I mean as far as I know, that's an internal rule established by China and not by the ITTF. Because I can't really think of any sport within the olympics that is not based on each individual country's own tryouts and own decision of who to send. If that is the case, I wouldn't mind seeing they choose Ma Long instead of either Wang Hao or ZJK.

Honestly I actually think it would be wiser for China to choose Wang Hao over ZJK. I know it would be more fun to see Ma Long and ZJK in the finals, if they both make it, but from a national standpoint, the Chinese team ought to think about who has the most chances of winning first, and in this regard, ZJK has shown a MUCH larger potential to losing to non-Chinese players in the past than Wang Hao or Ma Long has. This year he lost to Seo Hyun Doek in the China Open, Gavlas, Antonin in the English Open, and then Boll in the Qatar Open. That level of uncertainty just makes him a bad choice. The Chinese want to play two players who have significantly different styles of play, therefore if one of them is beaten because he matches up poorly in style against some player, their other player won't lose also because he has the same style as his teammate. Having a penhold and a shakehand would provide the maximum difference in style and would further decrease the chances of both Chinese players being knocked off.

I agree, they made an exception by not sending Hao Shuai to the WTTC Singles as well. However I think Zhang Jike has less chance to lose a match than Wang Hao. Especially if Wang keeps his current shape. Zhang can be quite lazy, but I think in a tournament like the Olympics he will easily beat all the non-Chinese. But we can only say something about who is the best option close before the tournament I think. It is even possible that over half a year Ma Long's performance has dropped and maybe we won't say he is a better option by then. I do think that the Chinese have this tradition of always sending at least 1 penholder, but I am not sure if they will continue this in the singles if they only have 2 spots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Its amazing to see Zhang jike making a come back.. I feel that somehow Wang Hao does not put up a grt fight with him the way he does with Ma long.. He simply gives in to jike.. he looses terribly in the last sets.. Ma Long deserves more than Jhang Jike.. He has won so many events that his name deserves to be in the list for Olympics '12 !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I actually still cannot believe that Ma Long did not get invited to the World Cup men's singles event for 2011.

With those events (World Cup and Olympics) it is not only the event itself, especially if you are Chinese. You have to perform very good way before the tournament to make sure you are qualified. Ma Long didn't do that, Zhang Jike did. There was 1 Chinese spot for last years winner Wang Hao, and the 2nd would be the winner of the WTTC, unless that was Wang Hao too. So Ma Long dropped his chances for both Olympics and World Cup by losing to Wang Hao in the WTTC.