Ma Long/Zhang Jike Serve!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hope you guys dont mind if i butt in..whew! if this arrogant 19 yr old kid is my son and he be speaking to other people that way, am gonna give you one hell of a lesson you wouldnt forget.. yes Tony you are right younger generations are growing stupid with the attitude.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Haha, I feel so bad that the thread has diverted. But seriously speaking, the video is more for new learners. So not much to talk about :)

And back to our main topic (hehehehe).
With your morals and view in life, it shows me there is hope in human civilisation :)
We need to clone more of you!

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Haha, I feel so bad that the thread has diverted. But seriously speaking, the video is more for new learners. So not much to talk about :)

And back to our main topic (hehehehe).
With your morals and view in life, it shows me there is hope in human civilisation :)
We need to clone more of you!

As a dad we always wanted the best for our children.. seeing them mingle with other people with utmost respect for others is an accomplishment and joy.

And Yes! Back to the main topic
Ma long & Zhang Jike Serve..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We need subtitles or some body to explain what the professor is saying . Can somebody help ? I personally find Ma Long has a lot of variety in serves and ready to take risks , somewhat like waldner which we don't see in a lot of other players .....
As a dad we always wanted the best for our children.. seeing them mingle with other people with utmost respect for others is an accomplishment and joy.

And Yes! Back to the main topic
Ma long & Zhang Jike Serve..

This what I was suspecting Tony, a 19 year old cocky kid. Dude, grow up and hope , pray and wish that you will understand what Tony is trying to tell you.

There is no ugly or beautiful "face" , "skin color" or "race" . Its just what have been fed to mind through media and people around you , from when you were a baby that creates these perceptions and perceived connoisseurs of "Beauty" . We all have these perceptions, but as you grow and mature you will realize how big a handicap such notions are. Haven't you heard about "don't judge a book by its cover" . Learn to "know" people and actually know them, make friends with people from all over the world , you will realize when you invite into your life people that don't look or behave the same way you do, you yourself will challenge your preconceived assumptions.
Please read my comments again i dont judge his appearance I tell my opinion about the video.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
We need subtitles or some body to explain what the professor is saying . Can somebody help ? I personally find Ma Long has a lot of variety in serves and ready to take risks , somewhat like waldner which we don't see in a lot of other players .....

Subtitles is too difficult - translating every word for word and using software to add subtitle.
I know because I did it before.

So I will just summarised rather, and you guys can go and reply.

Ma Long - serving more with body weight.
So in other words a lot of his power comes from his feets and movement of the body.
His had just focus on the spin
So overall it is a soft/small movement from the eyes of the opponent

Zhang Jike does something similar but uses a very late action during the contact point

I saw this video a while ago, so just saying from memory
I will rewatch it later and summarise even more

Edit, here we go:

Ma Long
1) From toss, his body weight usage is very good - so he is able to toss straight and lead to a more accurate contact point (ball isn't all over the show)
2) Ma Long serves a lot to the FH short mini triangle (look at 1:20), then continues with a FH to mid of the table (1:40), then follow by a long ball (under or top) into the bh corner

Takes about FH serves, parallel to the table
Talk about the grip and using 2 fingers, majority the thumb pressure.

Ma Long focus a lot of his first bounce - close to net, so it can be nice and short
Then the control from his toss comes from the body weight and not just his wrist. This will give him more consistancy

To practice - don't practice too fast. Take enough time for each step
Then talks about the contact point with the decending ball. Best is to contact it at your chest height, so you are able to control it more with yoru body weight

Zhang Jike
He is different because his contact action is "sudden" or late, thus can surpise his opponent
Most people will feel his serves are more spinnier, and his serves is more tricky
07:30 - comparing to the FZD and ZYL, using his arm and wrist to change all of the sudden at the last min. compared to others where the action is bigger and earlier.
ZJK focus on two different spins and used them side by side. FH short under spin or FH reserve pendulum serve.

He suggest that we practice serve and get the feeling of each ball at the time. Also use our body weights better.
So this is what he suggest for beginners to learn serves.

Also we need to consider how we serve, the spin and how we continue the next stroke, so we can link the serve to our strength (strong stroke) and not distance from it.

Finish :)

Last edited:
Squareball,

Let me give you last friendly word of advice.

Lets say you are innocent from all these "assumptions", then you should
1) ask yourself, what make so many people think you are something that you are not - what did you do?
2) that your words didn't mean that, but why people think otherwise - what did you say?
So if your thought is different to all this, then you should reconsider using certain ways to express things.

This is at a day, a multicultural society. People dont' know your humour or your jokes.
So lease thing you want to do is to show anything that will lead to bullying or being offensive.

It is not my position to teach you anything, I am not your parents or asked by your parents.
As I said, I am just defending a very respectable table tennis person.

I'm sure if someone comes and say how ugly your hero is, or some one who you respect. You will do the same thing.
If it's about the appearence of my hero then i can't tell something to that person I will have to respect his opinion since everyone has different aesthetic criterias since that's something subjective. If that person would talk about my hero's personality or capabilities I would try persuade him with logical arguments and facts no one can deny.

Great video indeed but i dont like the commentators face :S Sorry . Its just not pleasant for me to watch him.
I comment a major part of the video and that is the commentator, if I'd seen him out of the video i wouldn't comment it. You want me just clap hands, ok! From now on I'm gonna tell, perfect it couldn't be better ! But wait a second .. if everything is perfect then how can i thumbs up on a video that is better ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Here we go (for the ones that don't think Professors face is too hard to look at)

Ma Long
1) From toss, his body weight usage is very good - so he is able to toss straight and lead to a more accurate contact point (ball isn't all over the show)
2) Ma Long serves a lot to the FH short mini triangle (look at 1:20), then continues with a FH to mid of the table (1:40), then follow by a long ball (under or top) into the bh corner

Ma Long focus a lot of his first bounce - close to net, so it can be nice and short
Then the control from his toss comes from the body weight and not just his wrist. This will give him more consistancy

Then talks about the contact point with the decending ball. Best is to contact it at your chest height, so you are able to control it more with yoru body weight

Zhang Jike
He is different because his contact action is "sudden" or late, thus can surpise his opponent
Most people will feel his serves are more spinnier, and his serves is more tricky
07:30 - comparing to the FZD and ZYL, using his arm and wrist to change all of the sudden at the last min. compared to others where the action is bigger and earlier.
ZJK focus on two different spins and used them side by side. FH short under spin or FH reserve pendulum serve.

He suggest that we practice serve and get the feeling of each ball at the time. Also use our body weights better.

Also we need to consider how we serve, the spin and how we continue the next stroke, so we can link the serve to our strength (strong stroke) and not distance from it.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Typical case of 'argumentum ad hominem'.

I honestly cant understand the reason you complain about my opinion honestly i cant ... If i told i dont like obama's face and its not pleasant for me to watch that would mean i dont consider him great at his job ? Just from my point of view and with taste I don't find it pleasant to watch.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Awesome !!!

Subtitles is too difficult - translating every word for word and using software to add subtitle.
I know because I did it before.

So I will just summarised rather, and you guys can go and reply.

Ma Long - serving more with body weight.
So in other words a lot of his power comes from his feets and movement of the body.
His had just focus on the spin
So overall it is a soft/small movement from the eyes of the opponent

Zhang Jike does something similar but uses a very late action during the contact point

I saw this video a while ago, so just saying from memory
I will rewatch it later and summarise even more

Edit, here we go:

Ma Long

Zhang Jike

This user has no status.
Hope you guys dont mind if i butt in..whew! if this arrogant 19 yr old kid is my son and he be speaking to other people that way, am gonna give you one hell of a lesson you wouldnt forget.. yes Tony you are right younger generations are growing stupid with the attitude.

Hey I'm 19 but I do not act like that at all. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hey I'm 19 but I do not act like that at all. Hehe

Sent from my using Tapatalk
Agreed but its for others to judge :p. I did not mean to stereotype teenagers or anything. Its just most of the posts from Squareball were illogical and crying out loud saying "I am a young cocky guy and I am acting like one, please give me some wisdom so that I can grow up" ... ha ha ........ just kidding guys .. have fun !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Hi guys,

Today I and my teammate have argued about players stepping strongly (not sure if i use the correct word) on the floor during their serve. I always do 'coz I feel it makes my serve more impact during contact, makes it more spin. However I know this is just my personal feeling and seems my school teammates dun get same feeling. They said players do it 'coz they want to scare their opponent. I am not quite sure which is right or wrong, but the fact is that almost chinese players they do so, and it comes to me the question that whether Ma Long really wants to scare his opponent from his first serve of the game and continue to do that throughout the game? It sounds no sense at all to me.

So, what do you think about stepping your foot strongly on the floor during serve? and why would you like to do so?

I actually have just tried to google around but can't get any answer. If you have any sort of "scientific" source, plz share, I'd be so grateful

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys,

Today I and my teammate have argued about players stepping strongly (not sure if i use the correct word) on the floor during their serve. I always do 'coz I feel it makes my serve more impact during contact, makes it more spin. However I know this is just my personal feeling and seems my school teammates dun get same feeling. They said players do it 'coz they want to scare their opponent. I am not quite sure which is right or wrong, but the fact is that almost chinese players they do so, and it comes to me the question that whether Ma Long really wants to scare his opponent from his first serve of the game and continue to do that throughout the game? It sounds no sense at all to me.

So, what do you think about stepping your foot strongly on the floor during serve? and why would you like to do so?

I actually have just tried to google around but can't get any answer. If you have any sort of "scientific" source, plz share, I'd be so grateful

It is not about scarying, or at least that is something that I never heard before.
The stamping of the feet, causes noise. With a good timing of this noise, it makes it difficult for the opponent to hear the contact of the ball.
If one can not hear the contact of the ball, then it reduces the possiblity of your opponent figuring out the spin of the ball.

So noise is one thing, the body weight transfer is another
Stamping of feet doesn't necessary refer to a successful weight transfer.

Reactions: bricephan