Ma Long & Zhang Jike's blades @ World Cup!

if you look closely at the handle of ma long's blade you will see the w997 + manufacturing date serial ... don' think that is there on the commerical hl5 (can't find any images of the hl5 that would show that part of the handle). here are some images :

w997 : http://ttnpp.com/store/916-thickbox_default/dhs-w997-hurricane-long-v-5-national-long-v-handle.jpg
w968 : http://ttnpp.com/store/909-thickbox_default/dhs-w968-hurricane-long-v-5-national.jpg

and finally ma long's actual blade :

http://saletabletennis.com/product/ma-long-dhs-w997-special-national/#

... anyone with an hl5 that could post a picture of the handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
the blade of ma long is definitely not a hurricane long v.
what I mean is that these national blades are probably 95% the same as hurricane long v.
they only made this move to sell more blades and at a higher price.

butterfly could do the same, they could come out with a viscaria chinese team edition or a v666 specially produced for the chinese national team and charge it much higher.
knowing the typical ej, they would definitely be a huge success.

the blade of ma long is definitely not a hurricane long v.
what I mean is that these national blades are probably 95% the same as hurricane long v.
they only made this move to sell more blades and at a higher price.

butterfly could do the same, they could come out with a viscaria chinese team edition or a v666 specially produced for the chinese national team and charge it much higher.
knowing the typical ej, they would definitely be a huge success.

certainly that is a possibility, i would suggest that we ask the lucky ones that have played with the hl5/w997/w968 to comment on the differences/similarities. one thing that i did notice about the w968 was that it was listed on various sites at least 6 grams heavier than the w997.

irc giangt did a bit of a review, not sure if there was any in depth comparison ... will have to re-check the thread.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
certainly that is a possibility, i would suggest that we ask the lucky ones that have played with the hl5/w997/w968 to comment on the differences/similarities. one thing that i did notice about the w968 was that it was listed on various sites at least 6 grams heavier than the w997.

irc giangt did a bit of a review, not sure if there was any in depth comparison ... will have to re-check the thread.

knowing ej's I'm sure we will be reading about the huge differences between these blades :D

agreed, it is probably just a case of the blades being more focused at a particular player's preferences ... i highly doubt that the differences are such that it is a totally different blade to the commercially available ones.

that being said i'd still love to play with such a setup and i'm sure there are not many of us that could honestly say that we would not ;)

This user has no status.
I don't think an amateur player needs the blade of ma long or zhang jike in order to get to their fullest potential.
they could do that with a 20 bucks 5 ply.

the target audience of these national blades and rubbers is more like grown ups with little time to train and a lot of money to spend.
what you need to become super good is actually the contrary of that: being a kid with a lot of time to train and some athletic talent.
money is not that important.

I can only partially agree to the latter statement, since i am the "kid with tons of time to train"
But a decent blade will definitely give you a very instantaneous boost to your game. a 20 bucks 5 ply will not have enough power away from the table and definitely cant carry out certain techniques in the current meta as well as some of the more recent/blades you see pros use. Back hand flick/mini loop for instance, I can carry it out at a pretty high success rate with a vis/CCA Limited/Boll ZLF/Infi VPS, but i couldnt do it as well with an Avalox P777 or the good ol' Donic PPP.

Also, for the case of viscarias, their quality varies quite heavily and will make pretty noticeable difference in you game. I have tried this blade of my friend's who was in Singapore, SEA Commercial stock. No fish-scale patter on it at all. The blade felt hollow and the ball drops when I try to go mid table to counter loop, and when I tried my chinese teammate's blade he got from Japan, cherry picked by himself out of 50 samples, with the most consistent and small fish scale pattern on the surface i have ever seen. With the same rubber set-up (National Oragne Sponge H3+T80-FX XO coded) as my own viscaria (cherry picked out of 5 TW stock), his simply feels more solid and when the ball hits through the sponge to the blade, the power level of the mid table loop is just mind blowing even for a viscaria.

Also, I didnt realise we were talking about how equipments maximise the potential of an amateur player. I thought we were talking about how you stated Viscarias have the best material for 130 while the Hurricane Long requires you to pay a premium to get the best composition, and somehow that makes DHS an "evil company" when compared to BTY lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
I can only partially agree to the latter statement, since i am the "kid with tons of time to train"
But a decent blade will definitely give you a very instantaneous boost to your game. a 20 bucks 5 ply will not have enough power away from the table and definitely cant carry out certain techniques in the current meta as well as some of the more recent/blades you see pros use. Back hand flick/mini loop for instance, I can carry it out at a pretty high success rate with a vis/CCA Limited/Boll ZLF/Infi VPS, but i couldnt do it as well with an Avalox P777 or the good ol' Donic PPP.

Also, for the case of viscarias, their quality varies quite heavily and will make pretty noticeable difference in you game. I have tried this blade of my friend's who was in Singapore, SEA Commercial stock. No fish-scale patter on it at all. The blade felt hollow and the ball drops when I try to go mid table to counter loop, and when I tried my chinese teammate's blade he got from Japan, cherry picked by himself out of 50 samples, with the most consistent and small fish scale pattern on the surface i have ever seen. With the same rubber set-up (National Oragne Sponge H3+T80-FX XO coded) as my own viscaria (cherry picked out of 5 TW stock), his simply feels more solid and when the ball hits through the sponge to the blade, the power level of the mid table loop is just mind blowing even for a viscaria.

Also, I didnt realise we were talking about how equipments maximise the potential of an amateur player. I thought we were talking about how you stated Viscarias have the best material for 130 while the Hurricane Long requires you to pay a premium to get the best composition, and somehow that makes DHS an "evil company" when compared to BTY lol

well the fact that butterfly has only one viscaria and it costs 130 is good because you can expect to get the best stuff they can offer at 130.
dhs to start sells hurricane long v at 150.
hurricane long v does not have a different technology than innerforce alc from butterfly and the latter one costs 135.
then dhs goes and says "the hurricane long v we sell is not the best stuff, if you want the best stuff you need to pay 190 for a national blade".

personally I use a zhang jike alc (the new one with black handle), weight at this point after use and all must be around 95g.
I bought this from a korean shop, they get pretty good stuff.
I can see a bit of a difference with the 84g viscaria I bought from hong kong, but really thinking that this will change your game in any way is self delusion.

I know guys who use butterfly alc, mizutani, tenergy, etc and they get beaten by guys with a basic donic 5 ply and two bluefires.
why?
simply the guys with donic play better (that's probably the reason they got a donic sponsorship and use their stuff).
and this is at pretty high level, not beginners.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Skills / mental strength willingness to win 85%
Equipment 10%
Timeout 5% - lol
A total of 100%

During an actual match play performance reduces around 10-15% more due to errors etc etc... so again you have to train more and more ( so skills really matter)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Giangt and gjcbento
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I don't claim to know what he uses, but my Viscaria looks exactly like that from that angle.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Zhang Jike is using a Viscaria but the one he is using is a custom one specially made for him.

It wouldn't surprise me. I once had Butterfly make one especially for me, it just took money (about $300 in 2008, I had them use a different handle, and sadly, I ended up not liking the blade, a very expensive mistake). In his case, it may be that he just specifies a weight range, and they send him about 20 and he picks a few that he likes.