Major League Table Tennis (MLTT)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Some predictions on the upcoming season of Major League Table Tennis:

Firstly....Kudos and "hats off" to anyone who is willing to put their money and time on the line in order to promote table tennis in the USA or in any other country.

I am trying to figure out how this league is going to make it financially....unless the backers are willing to continue to put a lot of $ into this league for a very long time. By international standards, the player level is not super high. How many current men's world top 100 players are playing? Any at all? The number 1 draft pick is a good player...currently ranked about 262 in the world and about #40 in the French leagues (according to the FFTT). A really good player...but nobody is going to get him confused with Timo Boll or Dima.

I hope they can succeed in selling a lot of tickets...It would be awesome if there was a packed house of paying customers. At the WTT Feeder event last year in Florida, there were very few paying spectators. From what I understand, of the approximately 100 spectators at the final of that WTT event, the vast majority were players and coaches that participated in the event and volunteers. I think the organizers actually sold a few dozen tickets....and you had a ITTF world top 50 player (and formerly a top 10 player) playing !!!

It would be even better if they got HUGE sponsors and TV contracts...I hope they do...I just dont see how that is going to happen.

I want to see this thing succeed in a big way. I am happy to see that some high level individuals are involved in organizing the league. Can someone please explain the path to success? Ticket sales? Pay-per view? National TV contracts? Other?

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Firstly....Kudos and "hats off" to anyone who is willing to put their money and time on the line in order to promote table tennis in the USA or in any other country.

I am trying to figure out how this league is going to make it financially....unless the backers are willing to continue to put a lot of $ into this league for a very long time. By international standards, the player level is not super high. How many current men's world top 100 players are playing? Any at all? The number 1 draft pick is a good player...currently ranked about 262 in the world and about #40 in the French leagues (according to the FFTT). A really good player...but nobody is going to get him confused with Timo Boll or Dima.

I hope they can succeed in selling a lot of tickets...It would be awesome if there was a packed house of paying customers. At the WTT Feeder event last year in Florida, there were very few paying spectators. From what I understand, of the approximately 100 spectators at the final of that WTT event, the vast majority were players and coaches that participated in the event and volunteers. I think the organizers actually sold a few dozen tickets....and you had a ITTF world top 50 player (and formerly a top 10 player) playing !!!

It would be even better if they got HUGE sponsors and TV contracts...I hope they do...I just dont see how that is going to happen.

I want to see this thing succeed in a big way. I am happy to see that some high level individuals are involved in organizing the league. Can someone please explain the path to success? Ticket sales? Pay-per view? National TV contracts? Other?
i commented on your questions in the other thread about mltt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thanks for your reply Tony. I commend you for being quite active in this forum and you seem to be properly knowledgable. I have read your comments from the other thread and you make some very valid points. However, I did not find the answers to my questions which really related to the business aspect of the league rather than the technical table related stuff.

How is success going to be measured? What are the key factors that will determine success? Where is the big money (in terms of revenues) going to come from? Does the league have to sustain itself financially or can it lose money on an ongoing basis and some donors will simply make up for the deficits? Do you really think that a group of good players (but definitely not stars by international standards) is going to draw huge crowds that will travel to watch table tennis?

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for your reply Tony. I commend you for being quite active in this forum and you seem to be properly knowledgable. I have read your comments from the other thread and you make some very valid points. However, I did not find the answers to my questions which really related to the business aspect of the league rather than the technical table related stuff.

How is success going to be measured? What are the key factors that will determine success? Where is the big money (in terms of revenues) going to come from? Does the league have to sustain itself financially or can it lose money on an ongoing basis and some donors will simply make up for the deficits? Do you really think that a group of good players (but definitely not stars by international standards) is going to draw huge crowds that will travel to watch table tennis?
At this point, think of it as a business experiment first and foremost and a philanthropic activity secondarily. The person who can answer these questions is Flint Lane. There are many ways to make money doing something if you know the right people and the right laws. Even some of the ITTF tournaments we watch on TV that have no fans, they can be incentivized by other government sponsored benefits (whether they are really benefits is a matter of how you view government). Flint Lane does own a club in Princeton, NJ and while I don't know its current profitability status, I know that a lot of things were done to try to make it profitable and there was continuous changes to reduce costs and improve membership experience, even if it required more charges. For all we know, maybe he has a funding that he needs to put into use to do something and thinks it is a good time to see whether he can make TT work in the USA. The main thing that will make a difference is if TT fans are willing to put their money and time into sponsoring the sport. That is the challenge for most sports like table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I think the argument that the league will struggle due to the level of play is flawed for a couple of reasons (I know it was just suggested as a potential challenge and not stated as fact).

The majority of the sporting public does not watch the highest levels of table tennis anyway and MLTT is obviously trying to bring new viewers in based on their model (Pro TT in the US with a focus on putting on events and selling tickets to watch live in addition to online streaming, combined with first-to-11 and golden games). A new viewer is not going to see 2600 players in action and say, you know this is alright but he's no Fan Zhendong (no one is anyway).

On the contrary, look at the action from the MLTT ESPN Ocho Showdown or for example, TT Star highlights from their tournaments. There is an argument that the rallies and action can be even more exciting for a casual viewer at these levels because the offense and defense match up better, leading to more back-and-forth rallies at perhaps a more digestible pace. A casual viewer isn't evaluating the quality of each shot, only their overall enjoyment of the event. There are often more ridiculous rallies in a single TT Star tournament HL video than most WTT events outside of a few epic points.

The MLTT will face challenges for sure but I don't think the quality of play is one of them. I am looking forward to the inaugural season and we will see how everything turns out. I'm glad they have put something like this together.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Some updates on players in the MLTT league who will miss matches because of the Pan-Am games:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I recall reading that some of the biggest NBA teams DO NOT turn a profit.
But are valued at billion dollars.

Why?
They have an audience and i'm sure the other thread reply did cover audience. Since audience is the first thing you need to take off, and the second thing you need to have further investments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
However, during the days of Princess Ariel and her 2 (rich) uncles.
I always wondered, why USA never had a pro league with the richest mans on Earth backing it?

In Asia, TT Teams or Clubs are normally corporate backed.
So imagine having a team owned by Microsoft, a team by Meta, Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway etc
8 Corporate Pro teams that
1) takes local players until they wings and sponsor them with "Olympic medal in mind"
2) have extra budget to hire foreign players during league season

Since Ariel was so involved in corporate / social games/days/parties at 2 massive corporate, surely a culture of TT and Corporate could blend in, like how it is in Asia...

Well, days of Princess Ariel and her 2 uncles are long gone and MLTT really came to me as a surprised.
Maybe if MLTT came around during the days of Princess Ariel, just maybe, things could all blend together.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

here is why I wrote early on in that thread

TT tournaments don't get spectators, other than China, Japan and Germany.
In recent years (decade), China had to get in its army to full in the crowd.
For TT to succeed in USA, it will need both full stadium and good tv audience base. We talking about a million + people.
Maybe in year 3 or 5, they could have money to bring in proper tier 1 players and really get an international reach.
For now, the USA audience really need to all set up.
But how I understand things, the average club player don't care, as long as they have their social pong to play, they won't care on the progress on the national team or national league. They probably didn't even go to watch the world championships or WTT events.
And the problem is, there are tons of such social player. We need TT fans, not only active players.
For other sports, Fans are making things work and many of those fans, are not active players.
TT is total opposite, only have active players, very little fans.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I recall reading that some of the biggest NBA teams DO NOT turn a profit.
But are valued at billion dollars.

Why?
They have an audience and i'm sure the other thread reply did cover audience. Since audience is the first thing you need to take off, and the second thing you need to have further investments.
Audience is not quite the same thing as sponsors. You could say they have sponsors and television deals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Audience is not quite the same thing as sponsors. You could say they have sponsors and television deals.
if they could not get audience, would they have sponsors and televisions deals??
Only TT that has sponsors and tv deals are those tournaments that can attract audiences.
Other than the few that does on this planet, if you beg or bribe tv crew to come and record, they might not even pitch lol

The value is its reach, aka audience.
That is what sponsors and tv deals are buying.

This user has no status.
I share some inside info about the players perspective on this initiative. Yesterday I had the chance to talk to one of the Spanish participants in the MLTT at a tournament in the Barcelona area. He and one of my club's coaches played the RR in the same group , and after their match we talked for a while. He is a former Spanish champion with a long professional career in European leagues—Spain's Superdivision, the UK Premier, and the French Pro League. He was enthusiastic about the MLTT, for its innovative format, level and potential projection. It's like players view it as an opportunity to connect with audiences outside of the TT getto.

Three hundred players took part in the selection. He had no time to explain me the details, but I guess that names like Gou Lei, Lily Zhang and others didn't need to join the trials, they were in from the beginning.

Needles to say, money is the key question here. A good opportunity for players but also a challenge to see how it will go financially, if they are capable to attract top sponsors, and so on. If it succeeds and is financially sustainable, it might draw players ranked among the top 100 in the world and become a reference. But we all know that to survive and secure a (modest) niche in the US sports ecosystem is a very complicated enterprise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
Fun read about various topics surrounding the upcoming Eastern Division matches in Myrtle Beach (new power ranking stats page, Ma Jinbao at WTT Lanzhou, and Damien Provost):