nastiest way of dealing with opening loops

This user has no status.
It seems like there's a lot of variety in terms of dealing with opening loops from the opponent - from chopblocks to punch blocks to fade/hook blocks to reduced energy short blocks - the sky is the imagination! What is your favourite/most devastating stroke you use or have seen used? I'm here to get some ideas :)

This user has no status.
Doing the FZD. Just completely hitting the shit out of the ball if the opponent is opening before me^^
Like shown several times in this video (sry cant timestamp from my smartphone):
Though not as practical for amateurs like us but highly satisfactory. Maybe someday when i trained that shot often enough i might put that into my game, but not right now.

Currently mostly blocking with my bh into their bh side until they are pinned with their fh on the bh side. After that i usually close my racket to the side, so the next block goes far into their bh down the line. Depending on where they open up i sometimes to that immediatly with a little flick motion so the ball travels faster and with more spin. Most of the time that does the trick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Nasty would be a "no talent, no fitness" return from an OX long pip or some anti spin rubber that leaves the looper no time to reloop and dead or under spin ball that get popped up and put away by the pip player which then makes the looper question their reason for even playing table tennis on trying to get better only to get pushblocked to death.

This user has no status.
Nasty would be a "no talent, no fitness" return from an OX long pip or some anti spin rubber that leaves the looper no time to reloop and dead or under spin ball that get popped up and put away by the pip player which then makes the looper question their reason for even playing table tennis on trying to get better only to get pushblocked to death.
Yeah I was hoping to generate something similar with inverted that is so nasty that the looper just gives up and gives me a high ball instead 😁

This user has no status.
Doing the FZD. Just completely hitting the shit out of the ball if the opponent is opening before me^^
Like shown several times in this video (sry cant timestamp from my smartphone):
Though not as practical for amateurs like us but highly satisfactory. Maybe someday when i trained that shot often enough i might put that into my game, but not right now.

Currently mostly blocking with my bh into their bh side until they are pinned with their fh on the bh side. After that i usually close my racket to the side, so the next block goes far into their bh down the line. Depending on where they open up i sometimes to that immediatly with a little flick motion so the ball travels faster and with more spin. Most of the time that does the trick.
Hahaha I tried that a couple of times too, I think the counterloop shit is cool af but imo I too make way too many mistakes especially if they place it well with huge amounts of spin, even if it's slow. I can only get my landing percentages up if the loop is of weaker spin quality. I guess probably I have to stay humble and block patiently first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Hahaha I tried that a couple of times too, I think the counterloop shit is cool af but imo I too make way too many mistakes especially if they place it well with huge amounts of spin, even if it's slow. I can only get my landing percentages up if the loop is of weaker spin quality. I guess probably I have to stay humble and block patiently first.
With the opening spin being huge for you and above the level of the counterloop you can put safely on the table, sometimes humble is better totally agree. It keeps the point going hopefully. if you are able to deal with that level of spin with the block you can stay in the fight and use placement and control until you can find an opening for a heavier ball.
I was watching the TTD review of the Jorgic setup. He mentioned in it that if he needs to block a few balls he can and soak up the pressure before turning it around. I think that advice benifits alot of players.

Reactions: blahness
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Female equivalent, with toss height being the only difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I do a combination of the above. It isn't a religion, it is about being opportunistic and what paddle I am using.
In the video I am playing with my pushblocker paddle. A Dr Neubaurer FireWall+ with Giant Dragon Talon 0X on the BH and some kind of DHS Neo rubber on the FH. Normally my opponent plays better than me but here I am giving him a lot of trouble. I love blocking short at angles.
I don't do much looping with this paddle. Mostly counter hitting with the FH and blocking with the BH.