New balls

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
What stance are your local leagues taking over the new balls next season?

The first league to declare their stance in my area has said that teams may choose which ball they use, but that it must be stated at the start of the season which balls they will be using.

The issue I have is that with the release of poly ball suited rubbers, players could be forced into using different bats on different nights. If my local league decides it will use poly ball, but another league I play in decides people can choose, it seems like a bit of a financial minefield.

The choice option has been allowed to try and get the old balls out of circulation. I still feel that the powers that be need to grow some balls (pardon the pun) and tell local leagues the direction they need to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Imo, the entire league/division must standardise on a ball - to the brand if possible

In most places, the brand is not possible, but at least the type of ball should be.
It can't be some teams using this, some teams using that, as there will be 3 different balls, and the brands will further make the variation even bigger.
The 3 being seamless poly, seam poly and cellu balls

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
My local league decided it could not enforce one ball type or another due to both being "approved". The teams themselves agreed to use celluloid as poly balls are difficult to get hold of in the UK at the moment and there is a general resentment to the change anyway.

Be interesting to see if supplies of celluloid hold out for the season or if one team breaks ranks part way through if they think they can gain an advantage.