New Butterfly Viscaria Blade - Core ply is 2-piece?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
To be honest, Zeio is right. Zhang Jike (Olympic Champion) used a Viscaria that has veneer joints. If Zhang Jike can use and win many matches with a a Viscaria that has veneer joints. You probably can too and not all blades have the exact same feeling and may vary.

Thanks, but did you really read this thread? I stated I was ok with this if it was normal. It was just something I had not seen in my limited experience. Just asking the forum for their input. Is that not what this forum is for?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Yes, that's what this forum is for. Some people think that this is a serious problem and I want to inform them that it's okay to use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
independently from what zjk does, some people don't like multi-core blades.
it's fine.

you just have to look at other brands then.

xiom for example advertises their blades are made from jointless veneers.
also custom blade makers like "blades by charlie" can probably give you one ply core if you ask them.

Reactions: langel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
There is a user on another TT forum selling customisable Viscaria clones who offers a choice for the number of veneers in the core - apparently a 7 piece core provides the best feeling and is how old Viscarias were made.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
There is a user on another TT forum selling customisable Viscaria clones who offers a choice for the number of veneers in the core - apparently a 7 piece core provides the best feeling and is how old Viscarias were made.

joola has mcs technology for a long time.
core made of many pieces.
they use it in blades like mc1, bomb fast, bomb extreme, spirit off...
so maybe it's a good thing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Thanks for all the info. It was just something I had never seen before in any of the more expensive blades that I have seen. Mainly my own. I only play/practice at home with friends, or play in the break room at work. I am the only one of us that builds his own paddles. So, unfortunately for me I have limited exposure to some of this stuff.

I just wanted to make sure that this was common, or common enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I separated the plies of a donic 5 ply blade not too long ago.
all the layers except for the outer layer were made of multiple pieces and...... glued with some kind of tape!!!
my guess is the outer layer is the only one you can see, so that's why they make the effort to make it 1 ply.
I even made a video of this, don't know if I still have it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Thanks, but did you really read this thread? I stated I was ok with this if it was normal. It was just something I had not seen in my limited experience. Just asking the forum for their input. Is that not what this forum is for?

Some people like to look down on others at every oppotunity so I wouldn't get caught up with it too much.
From wood working point of view, it doesn't affect the playability but I do agree that it looks better if it's a single core. Imagine the price of Butterfly blades if they chose not to use veneer joints!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Some people like to look down on others at every oppotunity so I wouldn't get caught up with it too much.
From wood working point of view, it doesn't affect the playability but I do agree that it looks better if it's a single core. Imagine the price of Butterfly blades if they chose not to use veneer joints!

Yeah, the seam is very close to the edge, so impacting the play was not my first concern. My first concern was resale value if very few other Viscaria's had this type of core.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The Viscaria core is made of Kiri (paulownia). Paulownia is a relatively small tree so it's hard to get big enough boards to make jointless cores. If the bond is done right it will be much stronger than the wood itself, so in my blades i always aim to have the joint in the center of the blade. Big manufactures have to minimize waste so you end up having joints in other areas/ multiple joints.

On the other hand Ayous is a big tree, so it's less much common to see jointed cores.

Reactions: RidTheKid
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Another factor is Kiri grows really fast and that leads to uneven density.

End of a Kiri log. Note the distance b/w each ring.
%E5%B9%B4%E8%BC%AA2.jpg

Same for Ayous. Butterfly intentionally uses joint Ayous for the core for the Innerforce, Hadraw and Ranunculus series.

Last edited:
My first concern was resale value if very few other Viscaria's had this type of core.

I wouldn't worry too much. Not everyone can get a perfect example. I think single ply ones may fetch more to the right buyer, but other than that no big deal. Same goes with fishy fish scale. I got lucky on my single core, fish scale, 90g Vis. But after a year out two they end up darkening, little dings, sanded wings etc. I don't think mine is any more valuable than yours if they were the same age.

The day you hit the edge is going to affect the resale value more. I super glued the edges on mine after the first minor ding. Really helps maintain the edge after inspection upon other subsequent dings.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
The Viscaria core is made of Kiri (paulownia). Paulownia is a relatively small tree so it's hard to get big enough boards to make jointless cores. If the bond is done right it will be much stronger than the wood itself, so in my blades i always aim to have the joint in the center of the blade. Big manufactures have to minimize waste so you end up having joints in other areas/ multiple joints.

On the other hand Ayous is a big tree, so it's less much common to see jointed cores.

I thought they would only put glue in the side.
so it would not affect the feel of the blade too much.
when I delaminated a donic waldner blade they actually used the sides of old print paper to keep the little pieces of wood together.
I mean this, the parts on the side.
12f6a350-0b08-4ae2-a776-4a55e08e9d31

So depending on where you are hitting you are actually hitting with a piece of paper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I thought they would only put glue in the side.
so it would not affect the feel of the blade too much.
when I delaminated a donic waldner blade they actually used the sides of old print paper to keep the little pieces of wood together.
I mean this, the parts on the side.
cache.php

So depending on where you are hitting you are actually hitting with a piece of paper.

That's not what it is, it's called veneer tape, a very thin strip to keep veneers together while glueing. I glue my blades one layer at the time, so i can remove those strips, but manufactures glue the blade all at once so that strip remains inside.

The core is different, there's a lot more surface to glue so you can join the boards by glueing them together.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
That's not what it is, it's called veneer tape, a very thin strip to keep veneers together while glueing. I glue my blades one layer at the time, so i can remove those strips, but manufactures glue the blade all at once so that strip remains inside.

The core is different, there's a lot more surface to glue so you can join the boards by glueing them together.

the donic blade I delaminated had this in the ayous core as well.
on both sides.
and it's not very thin.
has similar thickness to this tape.

I kind of starting questioning the point of using different kinds of wood.... if in the end you are hitting with tape many times.

cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
the donic blade I delaminated had this in the ayous core as well.
on both sides.
and it's not very thin.
has similar thickness to this tape.

I kind of starting questioning the point of using different kinds of wood.... if in the end you are hitting with tape many times.

cache.php

I assumed they at least glued the core, very poor craftsmanship. I wonder if at least Butterfly does that...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I assumed they at least glued the core, very poor craftsmanship. I wonder if at least Butterfly does that...

I could already see the joint in the ayous core before I opened it.
so I guess it was the worst case.
but sometimes you look at a blade and it looks to have a 1 ply core.
maybe you are lucky.