New rule proposal - Different colour rubbers!

Should this rule be approved?

• OH YES!

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • This is awesome!

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I'm on the fence

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Not to sure

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Well, this is how it used to be ! In the 1980s I used Yasaka Tornado - a sort of insipid orange.......

Me too.

I was gutted when the red/black rule appeared.

And all because of long pips and antispin players, who had endless fun with two rubbers in the same colour, as no-one could see the incoming spin correctly.
So the rule was changed to "clearly different". For me, this meant red and green or "natural" (from light brown to that orange, depending on manufacturer).
Of course, for our long-pimpled friends this often meant black pips and dark purple friendship. Quite innocently, they would claim them to be clearly different (today see "No, I didn´t microwave my rubber." or "No, that is not hairspray, the rubber naturally shines like that."
And as they wouldn´t understand, the ITTF interfered again and the red/black rule appeared.

You see kids, not all ideas are new, some just re-appear after 30 odd years. ;)
And I do not believe that a single rubber was sold more just because different colours were available - you would still change your rubber when it was worn out.

Today, I am not sure whether I would still go for an orange Rasanter. But I have nothing against the comeback of the colours.

Reactions: Suga D
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I'm not optimistic like many are here.

Hong Kong TTA proposed for the removal of 2.4.2(85% wood limit) at the AGM 2016 and it was narrowly defeated(73.45% vs 75% majority needed).

Then at the AGM 2017, Hong Kong TTA and Korean TTA proposed for the amendment to 2.4.2 and it was badly defeated(54.4% vs 75% majority).

Same 75% majority requirement this time, I expect the same fate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Different manufacturers may offer different selections of colors for their rubbers. May inspire more players to EJ more than one color with matching clothes.

Yes, but is the industry really to blame for offering choice and inspiration?

And from what you see in practice and matchplay, do you think many players are fashion conscious? I see players wearing the very same shirt in every practice session and the majority is happy to wear shorts in all colours, as long as they´re black.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
In before manufacturers start marketing patterns that make it difficult to see the subtle movents of the racket during serving and all goes to hell.
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I really hope this doesn't pass.

I just don't see it adding any value to the sport, and it feel very gimmicky (TTX anyone?!)

As I have already played tabletennis before the red/black rule came up, I don't see anything negative here about orange or other colours.
In fact I welcome the idea, because it adds a bit more individualism.
I've seen also pro players use other colours back then in front of my own eyes, so other colours absolutely don't look unprofessional to me.

That's bollocks IMO.

If someone who has been using different rubber colours would speak out negatively i could at least understand to a degree, but as usual people seem to overthink and judge based on their assumptions without any experience. I guess one just can't change the habits of a lifetime. Quite a bit saddening.

I would also like to see the 85% wood rule disappear like in Tennis and a move to more sustainable material like hempfibre for instance.

https://returntonow.net/2019/04/14/americas-first-hemp-wood-factory-is-being-built/

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas

NDH

says Spin to win!
That´s for sure.

But at least it doesn´t do anyone any harm, and that´s more than you could say about the speed glue ban or the end of frictionless pips. ;)

It's difficult to know without seeing it first hand (whether it does any harm or not).

Maybe I'm just a bit too traditional (which is ironic, considering this used to be OK, and people used to have the same colour on both sides), but I really like the red/black combo, and just feel it keeps the sport grounded to a degree.

With so many different rubbers and blades, it's nice to have a little consistency in colour - Plus it just looks good (IMO).

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it's a BS proposal from someone who doesn't understand what's good for the sport.

It's difficult to know without seeing it first hand (whether it does any harm or not).

Maybe I'm just a bit too traditional (which is ironic, considering this used to be OK, and people used to have the same colour on both sides), but I really like the red/black combo, and just feel it keeps the sport grounded to a degree.

With so many different rubbers and blades, it's nice to have a little consistency in colour - Plus it just looks good (IMO).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I'm not opposed to it.
But wouldn't it make more sense if they do something like red/black for inverted rubbers? Then different colors for pips out, and then different colors for anti?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I'm not opposed to it.
But wouldn't it make more sense if they do something like red/black for inverted rubbers? Then different colors for pips out, and then different colors for anti?

So you could always be sure if it´s green it´s Antispin?

That´s a bit much I think - just check your opponent´s racket before the match begins ;)

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Yay. Revamp the original 729. Eggplant FTW!

This!
+1

and then there was this one...

this was pretty popular BEFORE the Black&Red Rubber Rule.
FH: Friendship 729 blue sponge dark red 2.0
BH: Donic Slick 2.0 in green (!!)
Blade: Taico 60

That bluesponged Friendship played completely different than the one with the white/pink sponge. The one with the white sponge felt even more sticky than the bluesponged one.

View attachment 7778 View attachment 7779 View attachment 7780

this rubber is absolutely amazing. After nearly 30 years it STILL can lift a ball easy.. :)
View attachment 7781

And at last we found this rubber here. The topsheet is very darkish red. It actually came with a white sponge, but due to the VOCs in the glue (from topsheet to the sponge) it turned PINK!! :D
View attachment 7782View attachment 7783View attachment 7784View attachment 7785View attachment 7786