Outer ALC users, why do you like your blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

I'm not even thinking that complicated, for me I just experience 2 problems with outer.

1) I feel the throw angle is too low on my BH, and I often hit the ball into the net. I think I tend to hold a more extreme continental grip

2) I feel lack of hold on the ball with the FH opening loop. I never am sure if my ball is going into the net or going long, somehow the window or margin of error feels extremely small to me

I think throw angle is easier to solve, just try a higher throw rubber. I feel the same way about the FH, I compensate by brushing more and hitting less, which I don't really like. As mentioned above, I'm gonna try a harder rubber on the BH side to see if it works better with the HL5 or YSE, because I don't really want to try a softer rubber on the FH side of the Viscaria. It's already kind bouncy for my taste, a softer, more springy rubber would destroy my short game.

I think throw angle is easier to solve, just try a higher throw rubber. I feel the same way about the FH, I compensate by brushing more and hitting less, which I don't really like. As mentioned above, I'm gonna try a harder rubber on the BH side to see if it works better with the HL5 or YSE, because I don't really want to try a softer rubber on the FH side of the Viscaria. It's already kind bouncy for my taste, a softer, more springy rubber would destroy my short game.

I know I avoid the short game like plague.

Cheers
L-zr

• Haha
Reactions: JBH7

you would not be able to avoid it if you ever had the misfortune to play against me 😂

I know I often need to bite the sour fruit blaaah.
But all other aspects are so much more fun …

I set myself up to have fun not to win games…😱
Winning is just a welcomed bonus.😉

Cheers
L-zr

says Feel the ball first.
says Feel the ball first.
Oct 2022
I went from outer (viscaria) to wood (korbel & hadraw vk), then to inner (alxi and sunflex lsh pbo) and finally again to outer (zqh 90).

I should have stayed with outer the whole time.
Outer is crisp, linear and my shots have great power.
You don't need your arm to go full power to obtain speed, thus limiting the mistakes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I went from outer (viscaria) to wood (korbel & hadraw vk), then to inner (alxi and sunflex lsh pbo) and finally again to outer (zqh 90).

I should have stayed with outer the whole time.
Outer is crisp, linear and my shots have great power.
You don't need your arm to go full power to obtain speed, thus limiting the mistakes.

But do you feel like there isn't enough dwell time to loop well?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

Now i am wondering if you are actually making " a case " for those fancy hybrid blades that have two different laminates on either side.

if you mostly loop from backhand but mostly flat hit from forehand , such blades may be suitable for you.

I know some blades like that from Dr.Neubauer or Hallmark but they are all wood

Only two such blades I can think of are currently with composite layer on one side only.
Yinhe T9 & Sanwei Two Face.

Sanwei claims they two face is for defender but it is the biggest joke because it is so small
Giant Dragon also made the same mistake with Kris Carbon blade which was dual mode version of therir popular Kris & kris 2 all wood dual mode blades.

I have seen some fancy blades on Ali Express with ZLC on one side (for flat hitting) & ALC on other side (for looping) but I wonder if it is any good.

But I am also not sure if these blades are fast enough for attacking style either.

There exists no such blades for defensive players at all.suitable for the 40+ ONLY plastic ball era. i don't think there is even a semi large blade
All Butterfly defensive blades such as Joo Sae Hyuk or Matsushita have composite both sides & are only semi large & are pure garbage than Yinhe T9 or Sanwei two Face.
Butterfly now has two defensive blades Diode 5 & Innersheld & they are also pure crap. I don't think Butterfly (or most other manufacturers other than Dr.Neubauer) even want to waste their time with such blades beause even most pros who use different styles on forehand & backhand seem to understand why this is so critical.

i talked to few custom blade makers & they told me it is very hard to isolate the effect of the composite layer on one side from seeping into the other all wood side. I try to make my custom blade with thick balsa core to minimize such effect & it does seem to work somewhat if not completely.

I have one custome blade made by someone in California. This blade has carbon as core layer. As a defensive player i did not like it. Attackers may like this design but I would tend to think Butterfly Innerforce is better for two winged loopers than even most outer composite layer blades like Viscaria etc.
Keep in mind that Buttefly Sardius still reigns supreme as the fastest hitting blade after all these years. Then again since there are no two winged hitters after Johnny Huang of Canada. I guess such blades are no longer even made by Butterfly but other manufacturers may have a few

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I know I often need to bite the sour fruit blaaah.
But all other aspects are so much more fun …

I set myself up to have fun not to win games…😱
Winning is just a welcomed bonus.😉

Cheers
L-zr

I don't even care about the bonus 😂 I am happy to play half an hour giving my best without having to count points at all.
I😂mportant is having fun, companionship and sweating.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
if you mostly loop from backhand but mostly flat hit from forehand , such blades may be suitable for you.

I know some blades like that from Dr.Neubauer or Hallmark but they are all wood

Only two such blades I can think of are currently with composite layer on one side only.
Yinhe T9 & Sanwei Two Face.

Sanwei claims they two face is for defender but it is the biggest joke because it is so small
Giant Dragon also made the same mistake with Kris Carbon blade which was dual mode version of therir popular Kris & kris 2 all wood dual mode blades.

I have seen some fancy blades on Ali Express with ZLC on one side (for flat hitting) & ALC on other side (for looping) but I wonder if it is any good.

But I am also not sure if these blades are fast enough for attacking style either.

There exists no such blades for defensive players at all.suitable for the 40+ ONLY plastic ball era. i don't think there is even a semi large blade
All Butterfly defensive blades such as Joo Sehyuk or Matsushita have composite both sides & are only semi large & are pure garbage than Yinhe T9 or Sanwei two Face.
Butterfly now has two defensive blades Diode 5 & Innersheld & they are also pure crap. I don't think Butterfly (or most other manufacturers other than Dr.Neubauer) even want to waste their time with such blades beause even most pros who use different styles on forehand & backhand seem to understand why this is so critical.

i talked to few custom blade makers & they told me it is very hard to isolate the effect of the composite layer on one side from seeping into the other all wood side. I try to make my custom blade with thick balsa core to minimize such effect & it does seem to work somewhat if not completely.

I have one custome blade made by someone in California. This blade has carbon as core layer. As a defensive player i did not like it. Attackers may like this design but I would tend to think Butterfly Innerforce is better for two winged loopers than even most outer composite layer blades like Viscaria etc.
Keep in mind that Buttefly Sardius still reigns supreme as the fastest hitting blade after all these years. Then again since there are no two winged hitters after Johnny Huang of Canada. I guess such blades are no longer even made by Butterfly but other manufacturers may have a few

Nobody was talking about defensive blades, defensive play or anything defensive at all.
We were however talking about :

Yinhe Pro 12S,and Yinjhe Pro 13S hardly defensive blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Nobody was talking about defensive blades, defensive play or anything defensive at all.
We were however talking about :

Yinhe Pro 12S,and Yinjhe Pro 13S hardly defensive blades

I was providing detailed explanation about your reference to "fancy hybrid blades" with different laminates on either side (I call them dual mode blades)
If you are severely traumatized by my mentioning about defensive baldes as well, then you may want to complain to moderators.
In fact IMO dual mode blades are the most relevant to defensive style than attack style.
However the first part of my post only refers to attacking style using dual mode blades.
I realize you will pick only the specific sections of every post to attack me & there is not much I can do about it.
Happy New year 2023 to you too

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I was providing detailed explanation about your reference to "fancy hybrid blades" with different laminates on either side (I call them dual mode blades)
If you are severely traumatized by my mentioning about defensive baldes as well, then you may want to complain to moderators.
In fact IMO dual mode blades are the most relevant to defensive style than attack style.
However the first part of my post only refers to attacking style using dual mode blades.
I realize you will pick only the specific sections of every post to attack me & there is not much I can do about it.
Happy New year 2023 to you too

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
here we go, another thread by MZ our equipment expert
we spend too much time talking and thinking we know about the sport
reality sets in, we'll never be as good as we think we could
sure, new rubbers and new blades will eventually show up... for us club amateur to buy our confidence

my coach always tells me: equipment is important but skill is the thing that needs to be worked on

hey MZ take my advice with a grain of salt. no offense to you but it is tiring seeing your posts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
sure, new rubbers and new blades will eventually show up... for us club amateur to buy our confidence

my coach always tells me: equipment is important but skill is the thing that needs to be worked on

hey MZ take my advice with a grain of salt. no offense to you but it is tiring seeing your posts.

Hey SB, if someone is willing to buy and test hundred, often chinese and cheaper rubbers, and write about it, I consider it a service to the community.

Of course it may serve the community more than himself, as you say.

There are other posters who are truly tiring :)

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013

I've actually been looking into getting a Yinhe Pro 12S, but can't find it anywhere. I might get a Pro 13S to try it out since that's available on Ali express. The 12 has limba outer on the inner fiber side, while the 13 has koto as the outer on both sides, so I was thinking the 12 may be a more extreme example.

With that said, I don't have very high hopes for them as the blade flexes as a whole, so the difference will be limited to the inner vs outer fiber difference.

If info on this site http://bbs.cnpingpang.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=936535 is correct (as well as translation), then PRO 12s is "exclusively sold in physical stores".

Hey SB, if someone is willing to buy and test hundred, often chinese and cheaper rubbers, and write about it, I consider it a service to the community.

You are correct but only by someone who knows what they are talking about..

Cheers
L-zr

• Haha

NDH

says Spin to win!

Hi Superbackhand (just how super is it by the way?)

I don't know why you felt the need to comment at all?

You can just scroll right on by if you don't like something - I believe there is also a "block" function, although I'm not entirely sure.

Also, saying "no offence" and then following it with an offensive comment, really isn't cool.

Generally speaking with the big wide world of internet forums, if you don't like something, but have no actual positive contribution to add to the thread, just move on - It's not worth it.

@MZ - You are overthinking the equipment side very heavily.

You've obviously tried a lot of equipment now, and you are getting a feel for what you like and don't like, but as your ability improves, your wants and needs will change as well.

When playing attacking shots, I don't find much of a difference at all between Outer and Inner - Not enough to consider one better than the other.

I find the slow, touch shots to be slightly better with Inner, and I find the passive block shots to be better with Inner.

The advantages of Outer could be that an intermediate player can produce faster shots - Especially if their technique isn't great.

But this need for extra speed is removed once you get to a very good level.

And then you get to the very top..... Where you want that 1% extra speed back...... It's a never ending journey.

For you, I would use the best set up that you feel gives you the best chance to win matches right now.

In 12 months, I would revisit your set up to feel if you want to make any changes.

From what you've said, the rubber will probably make more of a difference than the blade though - But again, keeping the equipment the same will make you improve much more than the constant testing you've been doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

ahhh. chinese rubber.
in order to optimize the chinese forehand with chinese rubber, you need to be trained under chinese coaching in the early stage of your career, preferably when you were a kid.
the rubber is just a part of the system, is a tool that completes the process. its attribute serves best when combining with correct stroke, which comes from years of training
just go ask any high level chinese player, they'll probably tell you the same thing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

Hi Superbackhand (just how super is it by the way?)

I don't know why you felt the need to comment at all?

You can just scroll right on by if you don't like something - I believe there is also a "block" function, although I'm not entirely sure.

Also, saying "no offence" and then following it with an offensive comment, really isn't cool.

Generally speaking with the big wide world of internet forums, if you don't like something, but have no actual positive contribution to add to the thread, just move on - It's not worth it.

i think it's worth it to say something to help when someone doesn't know what he's talking about

it's not about like or don't like - it's also a service to the community as well

i wouldn't call it a positive contribution when testing and reviewing equipments without the proper skill. that seems a little funny.

i understand what you mean, NDH so i am sorry if my comment seems offensive.