Playing with non-dominant hand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
My dominant right arm is ridiculously weaker than my left, which is why I prefer to play sports with my non-dominant left arm. I've been playing table tennis for just over a year now and I chose to play left-handed for this reason. However, I realised that accuracy and spin is far more important than strength in table tennis, and I'm starting to think that that was a stupid decision.

Will my non-dominant playing hand prevent me from reaching higher levels? Should I relearn the sport with my right hand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
My dominant right arm is ridiculously weaker than my left, which is why I prefer to play sports with my non-dominant left arm. I've been playing table tennis for just over a year now and I chose to play left-handed for this reason. However, I realised that accuracy and spin is far more important than strength in table tennis, and I'm starting to think that that was a stupid decision.

Will my non-dominant playing hand prevent me from reaching higher levels? Should I relearn the sport with my right hand?
Did you suffer some sort of injury to your dominant right arm? How is the range of motion to your right arm/right side of the body?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
No, it did not suffer any injuries and my range of motion isn't any different from my left. It's just significantly weaker.
Uhm...interesting. Why don't you have some practice session with your dominant arm. I think you should be able to pick it up pretty fast (assuming you use your dominant arm to write and do other fine motor skill tasks).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

Use your dominant hand, the needed strength will come by playing, and with the correct technique you don't need much strength, only explosiveness. As you said feeling is more important.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Play a music instrument then: you'll understand the synchronization and the arc reflex better. And also how to play softer or heavier. Righty guitarists/bassists/double bassists/cellist/violinists always use the left hand as the "fretting hand" meaning pressing the note on the fretted/fretless board. You have to learn accuracy AND speed with that non-dominant hand then, to understand how much pressure to apply with you fingers according to the force used by the right hand doing the bowing, pizzicato or slap.

Playing percussions also helps: beat boxing the rhythm patterns with your mouth and then choosing the right percussion instrument with each of your hand, the part or that hand (fingers, fingertips, palm only, all the hand, softer, harder, etc...).

It seems stupid at first sight, but you'll understand better how the connection between your brain and your left side works then, bear in mind that a dominant side isn't controlled by the the same hemisphere as the non-dominant one.

It has to do with your brain plasticity, if you're younger you'll learn that faster than at an advanced age.

If you're really noob at music instrument playing, start with percussions or electric bass (a fretted one of course).

Reactions: H3R0
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I write with my left hand but play with my right hand 🤔 I regret not starting out with my left but here I am...
we are all unique. I play with my left but I kick with my right leg. I shoot pistols holding it in my left hand but shoot rifles left hand forward and right hand on the trigger.
Life is hard 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JJ Ng and blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
As someone who has switched hands, I would say stick with your stronger left hand. I'm left handed and played with my left hand until an injury forced me to switch hands a couple of years ago. I've essentially gotten to my old level with the right hand quite quickly, but I did notice that my loops and serves were more effective left handed because of the angle going across right handers. Most people are used to playing right handers and playing lefties can throw them off even at the intermediate level. Also, wrist & forearm strength can really elevate the modern backhand, so your stronger left hand will benefit you there as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
As someone who has switched hands, I would say stick with your stronger left hand. I'm left handed and played with my left hand until an injury forced me to switch hands a couple of years ago. I've essentially gotten to my old level with the right hand quite quickly, but I did notice that my loops and serves were more effective left handed because of the angle going across right handers. Most people are used to playing right handers and playing lefties can throw them off even at the intermediate level. Also, wrist & forearm strength can really elevate the modern backhand, so your stronger left hand will benefit you there as well.
The thing is, I'm a chopper...
So I'm really starting to regret my choices.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I’m left handed but I play TT right handed. When I was a teenager I learned to play tennis right handed. No one would ever know I’m left handed lol. Too bad I can’t play left handed…with my right hand I’m 1500…with my left maybe 800 if I’m lucky.

Play with the hand that is more natural.

I also throw with my rigtt hand. Golf right handed. Right handed basketball.

I do play soccer mainly with my left foot though

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm tidying up my video folder and actually came across this:

Both were Lin Yunju's practice partner last year, the lefty warming up is a dominant righty. Folks bought him up playing lefty. So its not impossible, but he did start pretty young

This was at a photoshoot session on a Sunday.
The Li brothers was training with Lin on Saturday and again on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I'm tidying up my video folder and actually came across this:

Both were Lin Yunju's practice partner last year, the lefty warming up is a dominant righty. Folks bought him up playing lefty. So its not impossible, but he did start pretty young

This was at a photoshoot session on a Sunday.
The Li brothers was training with Lin on Saturday and again on Monday.
Nice videos! I have read about that in the other thread from you. crazy so his parents brought him up playing left handed. I thought about doing that to my kids but let us be honest, my kids aren't going to be Ma Long or Chen Meng of table tennis so I squashed that idea fairly quickly.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Nice videos! I have read about that in the other thread from you. crazy so his parents brought him up playing left handed. I thought about doing that to my kids but let us be honest, my kids aren't going to be Ma Long or Chen Meng of table tennis so I squashed that idea fairly quickly.
I had problems with my youtube logon, only sorted recently.
while I couldn't get on, I uploaded some videos to a temp/new account. I'm busy transferring the content to my original (that had no new content for years)

Yeah, it was a big risk for the parents.
to the public, they say, the elder brother (the one that beat Dima), is a righty
and they wanted the younger sibling to be a lefty, which will have an upper advantage over the general righty population.

To me, the older brother has proven more over the few years I know them. So left and right, does not equate best or not. If you look at the TT Grand Slam winners, there is no lefty yet :p
But I do understand lefty does have some added advantage and agree to a certain extent.

Since the Li's parents are both coaches, I would imagine, they saw something with the younger sibling to help determine and train him as a lefty. I don't think one just does that for the sake of it. He needs to show signs of potential.
It is different to baseball or cricket, where a hitter can just stand on the other side and swing the bat.

The amount of control and touch on the playing hand is beyond any other sport that I can think of. It is like saying, asking him to paint with his left hand. The finer details really does need dominant hand control and details, or at least for majority of the population. Maybe you do get a few that are "special"