Rubber with Soft Grippy topsheet

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
I have played with rasanter R 50 and Fastarc G-1 on my forehand, but am looking for a rubber with a soft grippy topsheets that allows me to have more dwell time and spin for slower softer hits.

I like hard rubbers for the control on short balls and power when counterhitting, but want something that allows me to hit slower balls and floaters with a slow controlled stroke that creates a LOT of spin.

My thinking is a medium hard rubber say 45 degree with a thinner soft grippy topsheet. Of course ideally something that doens't fall apart right away.

Is that the right rubber for what I want to do?

What suggestions can you guys make and how do the rubbers compare

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Is that the right rubber for what I want to do?
Maybe , maybe not :cool:
There are (at least ) 2 schools of thoughts about this, the one you think about , where the ball can sink deep into the top rubber and grip is produced this way, the ball having contact with more surface rubber.
The other idea is where spin is produced by brushing the top-surface of the rubber over the ball.

Both are valid methods and in the end it comes down to personal choice.

Personally I do not like soft rubbers because i found that they take away my control but this might not apply to players at a higher level .

• Love
Reactions: Danttgeek
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
First rubber that came to mind for me is Tibhar Evolution EL-S. Nice supple soft grippy topsheet. 45 degree sponge - nice medium hardness. Once upon a time I used it both sides and it was fantastic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
You are looking for Joola Tronix ACC, 47'5 but feels softer with a VERY grippy topsheet. Open ups on backspins is a breeze, high arc and produces a spin comparable with Tenergy 05. Easy to play with too. I have two friends who plays with Joola Tronix ACC on both FH and BH one of the use a Innerforce ALC and the other one a Cybershape Wood both with very good results. Last a long time too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I must admit that if you like hard rubbers and know how to play 50°, then I don’t understand why you want to play a 45° rubber instead of looking for something with a very grippy top sheet with at least 50°. This is like going backwards on the supposedly stronger forehand side.

Since I play the rubber on my own I would recommend trying the Butterfly Dignics 80. The top sheet is soft and it grips the ball very well. On the other hand, you don’t loose power which you would lose using a 45° rubber.

I know that many people say that the Dignics 80 is “nothing special” since it has no extreme pros or cons. I would say it has round package of every aspect being at least good. You could give it a try.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I must admit that if you like hard rubbers and know how to play 50°, then I don’t understand why you want to play a 45° rubber instead of looking for something with a very grippy top sheet with at least 50°. This is like going backwards on the supposedly stronger forehand side.

Since I play the rubber on my own I would recommend trying the Butterfly Dignics 80. The top sheet is soft and it grips the ball very well. On the other hand, you don’t loose power which you would lose using a 45° rubber.

I know that many people say that the Dignics 80 is “nothing special” since it has no extreme pros or cons. I would say it has round package of every aspect being at least good. You could give it a try.

I agree - i think D80 is a great BH rubber and easier to use than D05 on that side. Course D05 is more powerful and spinny at the high end but takes more skill to use. Everybody thats tried my bat loves the D80 on BH.

Reactions: AngelOfDrive
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Donic Bluestorm Z3 & Xiom Vega Europe DF version.
Bluestorm Z3 has an extremely hard topsheet that allows for powerplay, so exactly the opposite of what he wants. I've been using z3 for 2 years and it's fast with low arc and little spin. Euro df is a yes though.

Reactions: Danttgeek
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
DONT BE MISTAKEN BY YOUR BODY SENSES

What is soft and tight topsheet?

Tensile strength indicates how much force or stress a rubber material can withstand before breaking. Elongation at break is the degree of strain of the material. Stiffness is expressed as, for example, modulus 100% or modulus 300%. This indicates the stress needed to strain the material 100% or 300%.

As for the topsheet on a table tennis rubber, those speciments to give less stress force would feel like a soft sheet, and those to give hidher stress force would feel a tight sheet. The testing speciments are normally stretched untill an original lenght of the speciment reached to 200%.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Bluestorm Z3 has an extremely hard topsheet that allows for powerplay, so exactly the opposite of what he wants. I've been using z3 for 2 years and it's fast with low arc and little spin. Euro df is a yes though.
  • I believe you may have confused the sponge hardness with top-sheet. To my knowledge, the top-sheet role is to create spin by applying friction and the sponge underneath that is to create the trampoline effect.
  • I have used Z3 for two weeks now, and my experience seem to differ from you. I love the huge trampoline effect and with ease the ball goes over the net.
  • I had used Z1 on FH before, while it is amazing on FH during stroking and multiball which let one feel like they are pro hard hitter like Dima / Franziska / Aruna; it is a nightmare during game-play. The ball fly here and there. Z3, being the tamer version that I use it on my BH and to favourable effect. When blocking & pushing the ball, it seems tend to stay on the table rather than flying here and there.

Reactions: disaster3
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
  • I believe you may have confused the sponge hardness with top-sheet. To my knowledge, the top-sheet role is to create spin by applying friction and the sponge underneath that is to create the trampoline effect.
  • I have used Z3 for two weeks now, and my experience seem to differ from you. I love the huge trampoline effect and with ease the ball goes over the net.
  • I had used Z1 on FH before, while it is amazing on FH during stroking and multiball which let one feel like they are pro hard hitter like Dima / Franziska / Aruna; it is a nightmare during game-play. The ball fly here and there. Z3, being the tamer version that I use it on my BH and to favourable effect. When blocking & pushing the ball, it seems tend to stay on the table rather than flying here and there.
second it! Not sure if @Lowday20298 wrote about the same Bluestorm Z3?
I've it on the Donic Persson PowerPlay for 2 months already and it is grippy and spiny as f... hell!!! Excellent BH rubber, you can play what you want

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews

If you had chance test M3 can you compare please to Z3?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
HOW DO I KNOW SOFT and TIGHT RUBBER SHEETS IN NUMBERS.

A rubber strip of 8 cm lenght and 1.5 cm width is needed for the rubber tensility test. Pull out the strip untill linear elongation 100% i. e. 16см. Record pick value of the strain force.

METERING APPARATUS
Handly non-costly device to measure strain force on a rubber topsheet, we favour it very much in priority to all the others.

Be happy. Take the game with all due reverence 🛐

wQ1R1h9q2ao.jpg

Last edited: