Rubbers choice for my playstyle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Hello. Currently using 09c on fh and D80 on bh on a cybershape carbon. However, thinking of switiching my backhand also to 09c as i really like the control i have with it. I do realize 09c needs power and it's harder to utilize it on the bh. I am a very athletic guy who hits the gym (height 1.85), so i believe i should be able to have sufficent power. I am starting to train 4 or 5 days a week now too ( TT training that is ). My forehand stroke is full on stroke like Ma Long style usually always go for kill shots. On serve often go for 3rd ball attacks, really like the forehand violent brushing over the table on short balls and if they are long i often do fade loops with the forehand or just normal power loop. Backhand is very much behind so i am now training only the bh and want to have same kind of aggresive shots. I believe 09c is best for flicks and short balls over the table (because of the stickiness it holds the ball more)? Contemplating between d05 and 09c for the backhand, but much prefer the 09c because of the added control. I want to have very good short play and service return and attack the short balls with violent brushing on the fh ( 09c best rubber for that,is it not?) . On backhand i want control and a good flick rubber (chiquta etc. ) - 09c again seems best? My club and around me are all playing with softer rubbers which makes their touch/short game not as good as mine (using harder rubbers) so i want to utilize that too. 09c seems to be more forgiving too which i guess is a good thing for someone developing his backhand? Also.. how hard should a backhand hit be to utilize the 09c?

This user has no status.
Also.. how hard should a backhand hit be to utilize the 09c?
---like Fan zhendong;)
1703157320178.png

Seriously, why not try Stiga Mantra Pro M on the backhand, a piece of rubber designed and made by Daiki with good friction and rebound speed and pretty good control.

Reactions: ShoutGuy
This user has no status.
It depends whether you like chiquita better or if you like short push better. D09c is quite good for short push but is only OK for chiquita. The problem is that D09c is more spin sensitive compared to D05 due to added tackiness which makes it not so great at chiquita where you want less spin sensitivity especially against heavy short underspin serves.

D05 is really good for chiquita but just terrible in short push (tho for long receives like long push,sideswipe, etc it is pretty good). D05 is also better for topspin countering because it is really fast off the blade and just effortless. D09c I find that you need a bit too much from the body to create high quality shots.

I'm using D05 on both wings just because I'm lazy and D09c has trash durability compared to D05. Otherwise I think 09c is the better choice for FH too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
D09C you do need a lot from your body but that's the case with loops on no spin or underspin balls. Countering topspin is a breeze according to reviews and my experience with it on the forehand. Much easier for me to "guide" the ball from someones topspin to any place on the table. Weird you also say its more spin sensitive ( i was under impression from reviews again that tackiness helps to bite the ball more and give it your own spin). I guess on passive shots it could be, but on active ones i feel its easier than my current D80. For D05 i was thinking it gives more speed and spin for less body usage. Do you agree with this review for example --> Link

This user has no status.
D09C you do need a lot from your body but that's the case with loops on no spin or underspin balls. Countering topspin is a breeze according to reviews and my experience with it on the forehand. Much easier for me to "guide" the ball from someones topspin to any place on the table. Weird you also say its more spin sensitive ( i was under impression from reviews again that tackiness helps to bite the ball more and give it your own spin). I guess on passive shots it could be, but on active ones i feel its easier than my current D80. For D05 i was thinking it gives more speed and spin for less body usage. Do you agree with this review for example --> Link
On chiquita, the underspin bites too much on tacky rubber which makes it harder to chiquita heavy short underspin serves (not impossible, just that you have to be more precise with the contact) compared to D05. With chiquita the table is in the way so you can't do a full swing to override the incoming spin, so all these things matter quite a bit.

Also FH is quite different to BH in that you have more time and space on the FH to produce power. On BH the hard part is defending your position at the table to produce high quality shots even if you're getting jammed or in a less than ideal position. That's where the speed of D05 really helps for close table play imo.

If you wanted to try just flip your blade and use your 09c on the BH to have a play with it.

Reactions: exotick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Will flip my blade for my next session then and will play a few games with it too. I won't be trying to chiquita underspin at all though - only on no spin and topspin serves.
Stella i'm now used to those hard dignics rubbers and don't really fancy going softer. My playstyle involves 3rd ball attacks and most of my rallies finish pretty quick which is where hard rubbers excel at (i think).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I agree that D09c really shines when in a faster contest. Yes, it's a lot harder than D05 to generate speed if you have to do it all on your own, but if you want to counter power with power, D09c gives immensely more security.

The OP sounds a lot like me, except being a lot taller :LOL: I think for our game the D09c is better. Service/receive game to set up a big FH 3rd/4th ball attack as the 1st option, then BH opening loop to set up a big 4th/5th ball power loop from both wings as the 2nd option.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
I agree that D09c really shines when in a faster contest. Yes, it's a lot harder than D05 to generate speed if you have to do it all on your own, but if you want to counter power with power, D09c gives immensely more security.

The OP sounds a lot like me, except being a lot taller :LOL: I think for our game the D09c is better. Service/receive game to set up a big FH 3rd/4th ball attack as the 1st option, then BH opening loop to set up a big 4th/5th ball power loop from both wings as the 2nd option.
I think in topspin rallies it's more power vs speed too. The ball from 09c goes out at a later timing than 05 but with more security and arc like you said, which allows you to put a lot more power into the shot. For me the ultimate D05 BH is something like Harimoto and Lin Yun Ju's - close table oppressive BH to put pressure and exploit all the big angles - which is what I aim for. No need to play too many big BHs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think in topspin rallies it's more power vs speed too. The ball from 09c goes out at a later timing than 05 but with more security and arc like you said, which allows you to put a lot more power into the shot. For me the ultimate D05 BH is something like Harimoto and Lin Yun Ju's - close table oppressive BH to put pressure and exploit all the big angles - which is what I aim for. No need to play too many big BHs.
That's certainly a good way to go at it, but then you'd have to play FH close to the table too and stand in a fairly neutral position. If you want to pivot and launch big FHs more often, which is more likely to win points, that necessitates backing off the table a bit. That's one way for me to beat kids who've been training for years since they were very young. I can't match their consistency on the BH side, and they can counter/block FH shots too so I can't overpower them with my BH either, but I can overpower them with my FH.

If you look at the progression of Harimoto and LYJ over the years, they're actually backing off the table a lot more now. Personally I think their close to the table play was a way to hide their relatively weaker FHs earlier on in their career. Look at LYJ's most recent game vs. ML for example, they're both playing at the same depth vast majority of the time. The BH quick counter when used to the degree of able to win points against peers just requires too much consistency IMO.