Same rubber on both sides for offensive players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I can't play with my index finger off the paddle. I lose all control and end up holding the raquet way to tight.

They key is to always feel as if you are holding the blade not the handle. Some it might take some strength development and practice, but it's good to try such things so you can fix how you think about how your hand works when using a grip. People who do it well often started young and their bodies developed things to compensate. The grip if properly developed completely eliminates the need to switch. Mine is very close to it.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
Ma Long's current grip change from forehand to backhand, while easy to execute, is now fairly significant.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow (too much work lately, but my passion for the sport makes me sneak some time in here). I am particularly interested in Ma Long's grip change you mention. Is there a link that shows how he does it?

I remember somewhere he explained how normally people use the thumb to support for backhand, and switch between forehand and backhand by loosening the grip between strokes. On the other hand, he does not raise his thumb for his backhand stroke in order to facilitate quick switching between forehand and backhand, and he uses a backhand-centric forehand grip with little or no change between strokes. His only grip change is between service and after service, which he explained happens quickly and naturally after years of training. Has he changed his grip style?

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes. Old habit for me Index finger wraps around wing or outside of blade instead of on surface). Trying to change it (for decades). Messing with grip is ninth circle of table tennis hell and I enter it every couple of years.

Last edited: