SDC Handmade Blades

SDC

This user has no status.

SDC

This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Dec 2011
1,867
3,814
6,309
The fastest blade in the world (?)

#1505 - 3+2 - OFF++

Behind this classic look, lies the fastest blade I've ever built. Is it the fastest one in the world? I have no idea, haven't tried all of them, but that is a never ending pursuit, and one that needs to be framed under certain restrictions, otherwise a comparison is not possible. This is what I mean, you can always make it faster by increasing the thickness, using more carbon, etc... so we need to establish certain limits, and most importantly, make it playable. In this case, I set out to make the fastest blade possible under 8mm and 90g. For example, I did build a couple of blades on par with this one before, but they were 10mm thick.

So, how do you build the fastest blade possible? The concept is very simple actually, you don't need super zlc or a ton of different fibers, you just need to maximize the stiffness and hardness of the blade, in order to decrease energy dissipation and increase its reaction. We maximize the stiffness by using the stiffest possible fiber (which is still carbon), and create the highest possible distance between those two layers. This means a really thick core and thin outer layers. The outer layers should also be as stiff and hard as possible, and in this case I used Indian Rosewood, which was the highest I had in stock. The carbon layer is also the thickest possible allowed by the ITTF, 0.35mm thick and super dense, in reality it's a combination of my 160 and 200g/m2 Carbon fabrics, so technically this is a 3+4 blade. But all of this comes with a problem, the weight, which leaves no option but to use a Balsa core. Even in the core we can tweak it to maximize the stiffness and hardness. The grain of the core does nos lie vertically or horizontally like usual, but it faces up, glued to the composite layer. The reason is that the endgrain is by far the hardest part of a wood board, however this is much harder to do of course.

The reaction of this blade is just ridiculous, like nothing I've ever seen. It has a peak frequency of 2433Hz, also the highest I've ever seen (on par with those two blades I mentioned earlier).

Just a final explanation: reaction doesn't mean power. Reaction is correlated to energy dissipation, less dissipation -> bigger reaction -> ball leaves faster. However, in TT we are governed by something called the Magnus effect, you need to apply spin in order to make the ball clear the net, and travel faster and longer. A ball with no spin just gets slowed down faster by air resistance and dips down. If a blade has virtually zero dwell time, you need to make up for this by opening up the racket angle and stroke up, instead of forward, which results in a less efficient movement. This is why very stiff blades are not suitable for playing further away from the table, and usually they have a soft outer ply like Hinoki, in order to create some "grab" and dwell.

Composition: Indian Rosewood / C360 / Balsa core
Weight: 89.4g
Thickness: 7.9mm
Head Size: 157x150mm
Handle: ST (23.0-28.5x100mm)
Balance: 3.1cm (Med)
Condition: New

1505-1.jpg


1505-2.jpg


1505-3.jpg
 

SDC

This user has no status.

SDC

This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Dec 2011
1,867
3,814
6,309
#1503 - 7 ply (?) - OFF

Why the question mark? Because this is really a 12 ply blade, that identifies as a 7 ply 😅. I've said this to clients before, at the moment, 7 ply blades (with a typical structure), are my Achilles heel when it comes to variety. I've been struggling to source lighter Ayous, so if you want a lighter 7 ply with inner Ayous layers, this is an approach I can use. Actually, I built a similar one for a customer recently, I enjoyed the feeling and he also gave really good feedback, but that one was thinner, so I wanted to see if I could make something closer to a Clipper, that would still hold its ground. What happens is that the inner Ayous layers in this blade are composed of even thinner layers, because I do have light Ayous, but only in thinner veneers. Even with the extra glue layers, it's still lighter than the thicker and denser Ayous I have. I have built a 12 ply blade before, but all the layers were crossed glued. In this case, layers 1+3+5+7 are placed vertically, and layers 2+4+6 are horizontal, just like on a 7 ply.

Does it hold its own? Totally. In terms of top speed I think it's a notch below something like a Clipper of the same weight, but it's not as head heavy and the feeling is very good. It feels soft, but stable and with no weird vibrations. Probably a good blade for SP.

- Limba / Ayous / 3x Ayous / 2x Ayous //
- 90.6g
- 6.9mm
- 158x151mm
- FL (25.3-23.3x100mm)
- Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

1503-1.jpg


1503-2.jpg


1503-3.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: TTpastor and latej

SDC

This user has no status.

SDC

This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Dec 2011
1,867
3,814
6,309
#1504 - "7" ply - DEF

This is another blade with identity issues, the love child of a Matsushita and a Goriki Danshi. So, Mahogany outer plies and Ayous core like the Matsushita, but 7 plies instead of 5, like the Goriki. However, I wanted two things, to keep the weight below 100g, and have a descending density from the outer plies to the core. Layers 3+5 are dense Ayous, and just like the previous blade, the center layer is composed of 3 lighter Ayous layers. In think this results in a well balanced structure, you have the Mahogany outer plies ,that are harder than Walnut, they give a crisp and clear contact and help to stabilize the blade. However, the blade still remains flexible and relatively soft due to the less dense core, which also helps to dampen harder shots.

- Mahogany / Mahogany / Ayous / 3x Ayous //
- 97.5g
- 5.4mm
- 162x155mm
- FL (24.0-22.2x100mm)
- Balance: 3.5cm (Med)

1504-1.jpg


1504-2.jpg


1504-3.jpg
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: TTpastor and Tyce
Top