Should I use a long pimple rubber? If so, which one?

This user has no status.
Why do you want everyone to hate you? Actually like wtf?

Anyway, long pimples are definitely not lazy, especially if you are a chopper. It allows you to play somewhat passive, but the active game is always pays off more way more.
Contrary to popular opinion here, you can attack with LP, and actively do a lot of things, change up the spin and placement. There's no need to play defence with LPs, and in fact I view pure LP defence as more of an inferior and boring playstyle. For eg Deng Yaping one of the greatest of all time was a LP user and you would hardly find her ever defending...

This user has no status.
Contrary to popular opinion here, you can attack with LP, and actively do a lot of things, change up the spin and placement. There's no need to play defence with LPs, and in fact I view pure LP defence as more of an inferior and boring playstyle. For eg Deng Yaping one of the greatest of all time was a LP user and you would hardly find her ever defending...
I agree with this, if we played with equipment of her era. I mean at that time, you had different balls, different rules, even the LP were made in ways that today are illegal. I doubt you can do same effective offensive game today.

This user has no status.
I agree with this, if we played with equipment of her era. I mean at that time, you had different balls, different rules, even the LP were made in ways that today are illegal. I doubt you can do same effective offensive game today.
Yes you still can, and it can be highly effective still - you can see for eg Ni Xia Lian, Indian women's team, Kyoka Idesewa, etc...

On the men's side unfortunately there's only Luka who has imo a suboptimal game, but imo it's because no one has produced the ideal player (twiddling inverted+LP penholder with a massive FH loopkill, Ma Lin like short game and serves)

Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Another one of the great combination attacking players in the day who played for England was Carl Prean. Amazing hands and reached a high world ranking.

If people aren't aware look him up. Carl was one of the very very few to be able to play like this at a world level.

The issue is it's a very niche style of play. That's why it's never really happened in mass over the game world wide and won't I believe. it doesn't up scale well to mass audience of both players and people watching the sport.

Reactions: Trevize84
You can buy the Dawei 388-D1 at Aliexpress (several stores) for about $10 (2-3. weeks delivery time). I would go with 0.8mm sponge. Also you may have to glue it yourself if you use the same blade. This is more difficult with OX. Now, the technique is actually very difficult because you miss the grip you get from top- or underspin. More likely than not you'll loose lots of games at the beginning because hobby players may not have good topspin either so this way they have a leg up.
I switched to long pips on one side and get a really good workout now (modern defense). But for that it took me 3 months with 2 hours/day on the machine to learn the 2 sets of techniques (with twiddling the racket). So this is actually more difficult to play than the two wing looper game. So looks like you are better off staying with two sides inverted.
Also people who known to play against long pips can take advantage of them (if you don't twiddle).
Yeaah nobody actually knows so it will be fun to se the reaction. Thats actually the main reson.

You can buy the Dawei 388-D1 at Aliexpress (several stores) for about $10 (2-3. weeks delivery time). I would go with 0.8mm sponge. Also you may have to glue it yourself if you use the same blade. This is more difficult with OX. Now, the technique is actually very difficult because you miss the grip you get from top- or underspin. More likely than not you'll loose lots of games at the beginning because hobby players may not have good topspin either so this way they have a leg up.
I switched to long pips on one side and get a really good workout now (modern defense). But for that it took me 3 months with 2 hours/day on the machine to learn the 2 sets of techniques (with twiddling the racket). So this is actually more difficult to play than the two wing looper game. So looks like you are better off staying with two sides inverted.
Also people who known to play against long pips can take advantage of them (if you don't twiddle).
Thanks so much.
I did not know where to buy the Dawei.
How to know if not fake?

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I will do so
Nice, I've used neptune for a few years on my pips racket for repairing against opponents that use pips, and it's durable as all hell. I've beat the hell out of it and it's still soft and easy to use. A good European long pip for blocking is donic piranja tec in ox and tibhar grass d.tecs in ox.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Still waiting to hear from Gozo on this
Thanks
No official system; but plenty of unwritten rules. But if pimples players wanna play, regulars will use tonnes of excuse like I am tired, I need toilet break, ciggies break, soda break, etc....

However, when competition is nearing, pimple players do get invited as sparring partner.

P/s: My club is a 100% social club. Players are mostly there for exercise and some socializing.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Fine as long as the double inverted players give up the table as soon as they are challenged. I have seen this trick too many times. The two winged looper will say he or she i stired but will go and play another two winged looper on another table.
I have no problem with two winged loopers sticking together with players of their own kind. In fact I have always admired for years how two winged loopers stick together to protect what they feel is their God given right such as boosting.
And I am equally disgusted as to how pips players have zero self-respect or self-esteem and have no sense of unity.

LOL
This is exactly the problem with pips players. They should never practice against two winged loopers except for a reasonable fee & the fee should go up when competition is nearing
This also why I say that pips players should never ever practice against two winged loopers in regular club sessions. Pips players can easily find other players who can loop for them & pips players should stick together just like the two winged loopers stick together.
More important is that pips players should never ever ever do the 2 minute warm up against two winged loopers during competition. Two winged loopers already have overwhelming equipment advantage bestowed upon them by their puppet ITTF with 10 rule & regulation changes since 1983. If pips players need to warm up during competition, they should only warm up with other pips players. If the two winged loopers don't need you during club sessions, they obviously do not need you to train them during tournaments.

You have to be joking . 100% social but still the two winged loopers will abuse pips players like this ? REALLY
But I agree with you from one viewpoint. The pips players are indeed using "social" rubbers since there are zero "functional"pips (so called long pips but are really medium pips) rubbers on ITTF LARC that are remotely useful in the 40+ plastic ball era.
Why are they medium pips you ask. They have been medium pips ever since 1998 when the Aspect Ratio was reduced to 1.1 from 1.3 bringing it as close as possible to the short pips limit of 0.89. This is further emphasized by the 7 more rule & regulation changes that partially or fully impact pips since 1998
Oh Hi Siva / James Z,

Nice of you to drop by again.