Slower Clipper alternatives

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hi guys,
as the title says, I'm looking for a blade that has similar stiffness/overall feel like the Clipper has.
I am currently trialing a 96g Clipper that a friend of mine lend me, as want to change from my current setup with shortpips on the backhand and a Carbon Blade (TSP Reflex50 Off) to inverted on both sides and an allwood blade. Before that I tried my old Allround Classic, but I wasn't really feeling it.
So anyway, for my skill level the Clipper is a bit too fast for me.

From what I've gathered some other allwood blades that I see come up a lot are the Primorac and the Korbel, though I've read some conflicting speed comparisons about them in various reviews. And on here I've heard some good things about the OSP Virtuoso.

Input and any other recommendations would be really helpful :D

Reactions: Makelele

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
HRT clipper clone, Donic Persson powerplay are close to clipper and a bit more controlled. They use the same or very similar layers of wood.

Primorac, Korbel, virtuoso are 5 ply blades (clipper is 7 plies) and are a bit less stiff, but use similar woods. These are also lighter.

The clipper-build is a classic and I have used it in different custom made blades in the past. It's a great starting point from which to begin and experiment. By making slight adjustments in for exemple the layers or the total thickness, it is possible to achieve for exemple more or less speed, more stiffness, less weight, different balance, ...

Good luck with the search. In the end you will just have to try something and see if it works for you!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
hi, and great topic here... i have used 3 clippers classic and all of them feel great, but it is true, they all had different speeds.. perhaps it was because i bought them from different Vendors and at different times. being unhappy with fast clipper blades i have found a great blade that is about 2 notches slower than the classic clipper.

the slower alternative i would recommend is Yasaka Extra Special - it is 7 ply blade , thinner and have a solid handle.. it has great flex and dwell and power all at the same time.. i have 3 of them and all are about 93 grams and play very similar.

i hope this helps

phamster

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks so far.
The Donic Persson Powerplay and the Yasaka Extra Special seem to be fitting, will definitely look into both of the further.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have/had a few of those clipper-clone/similar blades. The best "slower clipper" imo is Nittaku Ludeack. 7ply 6.6mm Off-/All+. It is veeeery soft, very stiff and moderate to lots of vibration, but not like a tamborine. A very clear feed back. It goes very well with chinese rubbers and uber hard euro rubbers 47+ dgr