Stiga Legacy Carbon blade

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Here we go - perhaps with the first European review impression of the Stiga Legacy Carbon.
Please take into account that this only the impression after an one hour session with the Amicus Prime robot and might change when we will be able to play against real players again.

weight blade: 87g
rubber FH: Dignics 09C 2,1mm
rubber BH: Dignics 05 2,1mm

normal setup I play with is Innerforce ALC with T05 and D05

The problem I usually face with outer carbon blades like Viscaria or Freitas is, that the low throw and speed of them support my BH very well, while it gives me trouble with my FH when looping hard on backspin. This for sure could be solved by brushing more, but in fact this is my best stroke with Innerforce blades, so the trade off to use outer blades is bad.

Getting back to the Legacy Carbon:

visual appearance:
the classic Scandinavian look of the Legacy is something you need to like. Black all over. I like it a lot, others might say it looks like a premade bat...
perhaps I received a „bad“ one, but both lenses are not the way you would expect from a blade for 210€. The big black was not fitting exactly and the one at the end of the handle was not symmetrically (turned a little). Anyway this does not affect anything.
the outer Limba veneer has a very nice finish - no rough stuff here
what leeds us to the handle. I often read about rough finishes of Stiga handles. And hell yes - this is rough! Anyway, nothing a sandpaper could not solve.

Playing:
feeling: the combination of Limba, pine (quite similar to spruce) and ayous is nothing new for Stiga looking at offensive classic, offensive classic carbon or infinity vps. The feeling of legacy carbon has similarities there. It has quite a woody feeling, a little springy but not too much. The carbon makes the blade more stable then an infinity, but not very hard and stiff like a Viscaria for example.

topspins: I did several Topspin drills and turned the racket as well too not get the double impression of new rubber (D09C) and new blade. The blade supports Topspin quite well and I felt much more comfortable than with other outer carbon blades. The softer feeling due to Limba and pine made the blade feel more like a stiffer and faster Innerforce version.
This especially worked really well for looping backspin as it seems to counter the problem I described in the beginning. It worked with both rubbers, but D09C seemed to perform even better.

counter: nothing special here, quite similar feeling to TS

short push: as far as one could tell from playing with a bot: it is not too springy here. Combination with D09C works well again.

blocks: really hard to tell with a bot. Since the blade is faster than my Innerforce, I need to do some adjustments here. Balls flew out sometimes.

overall impression: I was very curious about this blade and I am very looking forward for the next Sessions and for sure the first real games.
it is a softer outer carbon blade with nice woody feel and touch and has a higher throw than e.g. Viscaria.

hope to report more soon

Reactions: RidTheKid and Ray
says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
As mentioned in the review it definitely has similarities to the offensive classic carbon! The main difference is, that it is thicker (I expect around 6.0 mm, since it is a little thicker than a Viscaria) and that the carbon is outer (while offensive carbon is inner) and a little stiffer.

basically it is more like an infinity with carbon layer

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Video just came out. I just happen to see it and since China is getting out of quarantine now, I guess the players are able to play again. This is an online table tennis coach who reviewed the blade. I thought everyone might be interested since there aren't really and review videos yet. I was surprised by the high pitched sound the blade gives off. In the begining she said the blade has lots of power!

I don't have enough time to do a full translation, but for a quick summary from what I gather, the blade has lots of power, and is hard with good feeling. It doesn't require much effort to play powerful shots as the ball travels longer on table compared to other blades. She says that you should pair it with medium hard rubbers like the DNA M she used or Mantra because of how much power the blade has already.

Last edited:
says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
at first it sounds like a "high pitch", but in fact it is more like a "hollow" pitch which is very loud compared to other blades. It also feels a little hollow when playing. Anyway, it definitely is quite a fast blade, though not as low trajectory as most koto carbon blades like ALC

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Since I still like my custom blade more, I offer my Legacy Carbon blade (FL, 87g, no dings, etc.) for 160 € + shipment fees. If you're interested, just write a PN