The different ways of boosting

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
The most realistic image of a deviant player stuck to boosting. What an unseemly portrayal he is , is it not?

The Outlaw.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I don't endorse spoosting. However. players illegally spoost because it does give an overwhelming top-spin & speed advantage & this goes on because there is almost 0% enforcement by chemical inspection of rackets, (though however there is near 100% visual inspection to ensure that players do not use high aspect ratio super long pips which does not give a fair level playing field (more importantly spectator involvement by reducing third ball attacks) though high aspect ratio super long pips can provide far superior amount of backspin for choppers than the low aspect ratio low PDD low length low back spin rubbers listed on ITTF LARC which are TOTALLY useless in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era)
So tell me if the amount of backspin for choppers is the benchmark for a rubber why can super long high aspect ratio pips provide a far superior amount of backspin than an illegally boosted inverted rubber that gives an overwhelming amount of topspin?
I cannot create much topspin with a long pips rubber, but I can create a huge amount of underspin with an inverted rubber. (probably more if it is boosted)
Long pips don't provide much spin at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
how many people would love to actually see san j (james z) getting some training and become actually a top level chopper and using his super high aspect ratio super duper long pips and play against a super high level player with a super boosted rubber and let the traditional way to settle things.

This and that over a sport forums...
its like watching two runners arguing how each will win the race, but are couch potatoes for all we know?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Need a layer of glue, it's to protect the rubber, new h3 rubber already came with one layer of glue, second time boost better put one layer of glue , cause booster will damage rubber. Booster boost sponges not rubber.
Booster penetrates the glue layer, you want the booster going in otherwise why do you even boost it for? Or are you saying you are trying to prevent the booster entering the thing you want to boost? That doesn’t make sense at all. The layer of glue only acts as an extra storage of booster, not a protection, but it’s so thin it can be ignored.

Also booster does boost the rubber as well as the sponge, the sponge used here is also made of rubber, it’s more porous compared to the top sheet, that’s why it expands more when boosted. Please don’t spread incorrect information.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why are you making this about me ?
Why are you comparing me to a high level looper ? At may age I will never be even a 2300 player even if I train 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Why do you keep making absurd claims that I suggest that I will become a 2800 player just & only by using a high aspect ratio super long pips. That is pure nonsense.

If you want to make comparisons that make sense you need to compare players at more or less equal skill levels.

I have answered this question many times but continue to post nonsense.
I have challenged Ma Long to play in a level & fair playing field and prove he and not Joo Sehyuk is the GOAT of all of table tennis. All Ma Long has to do is earn his right to play the GOAT of all of table tennis Joo Sae Hyuk by beating Hou YingChao & Chen Weixing first on a level & fair playing field (that is also the best for improved spectator involvement) with
1. Ma Long using unboosted 1.7 mm inverted rubber both sides
2. Chen Weixing & Hou Yingchao using 1.7mm inverted on one side & high aspect ratio super long pips on other side.
if you can't do it
then train someone who can do it

table tennis is about training
you been moaning for how many 10s thousands of days.
if only you put 1/100 of the effort in training 10 choppers. maybe the world top 100 will have more choppers

easy logic, no?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Booster penetrates the glue layer, you want the booster going in otherwise why do you even boost it for? Or are you saying you are trying to prevent the booster entering the thing you want to boost? That doesn’t make sense at all. The layer of glue only acts as an extra storage of booster, not a protection, but it’s so thin it can be ignored.

Also booster does boost the rubber as well as the sponge, the sponge used here is also made of rubber, it’s more porous compared to the top sheet, that’s why it expands more when boosted. Please don’t spread incorrect information.
As I boost my h3, I try both with or without the one layer, without the one layer, rubber easy bubble, that's my experience of boosting, maybe my info is incorrect, but that's how I boost my rubber, I just share my experience not teaching ppl how to do so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
As I boost my h3, I try both with or without the one layer, without the one layer, rubber easy bubble, that's my experience of boosting, maybe my info is incorrect, but that's how I boost my rubber, I just share my experience not teaching ppl how to do so.
Thanks for the advice, i see a lot of people saying i should use layer of glue and then booster :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Then you should have said so in your first post, since you phrased it like that it sounded like you're teaching people how to do it, not sharing your experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
How many rubbers have you seen bubble like that?

Ive never seen such thing after boosting a hundred times.

It may be true, but doesnt seem all that frequent.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023

I have 2 H3 commercial, bubble after 4th time without the layer, so far the H3 Province , and national still going strong after third time boosted, with the layer, my play time around 10 hours a week.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I have 2 H3 commercial, bubble after 4th time without the layer, so far the H3 Province , and national still going strong after third time boosted, with the layer, my play time around 10 hours a week.
I guess it matters how intensely you boost the rubber.

I usually boost the rubber until it curves about 45 degrees. I see some people boost their rubber until the opposite ends of the rubber are almost touching.

Again like Duke said, I'm pretty sure the key issue is how much booster you put on, or how far you let the rubber curl. Even if you use a glue layer, if you boost until the rubber opposite edges are touching, then you really haven't protected the rubber at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I guess it matters how intensely you boost the rubber.

I usually boost the rubber until it curves about 45 degrees. I see some people boost their rubber until the opposite ends of the rubber are almost touching.

Again like Duke said, I'm pretty sure the key issue is how much booster you put on, or how far you let the rubber curl. Even if you use a glue layer, if you boost until the rubber opposite edges are touching, then you really haven't protected the rubber at all.
That's true, about the rubber bubble, it's really depends on how hard you play. New rubber, 3 light layer of booster, 1st layer, 2-4hr, after dried,2nd layer 12-18 hrs after dried, 3rd layer 48 hrs .I don't watch how they curl, I count on time, and make sure the booster is dried before the next step.old rubber I only do 2 layers, boost my rubber every 4-6 weeks, until the sponge cracked or the rubber bubble.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Are you aware of the fact that post #4 comes after post #1

As does post #5, to which you responded in #8 as if it were in response to #3, when it is reasonably deducible that it was made in response to #1 from OP

I wish some people learnt to read.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Boosting is a waste of time. It is better to practice, practice, practice. What does one expect to achieve while boosting? More speed? More spin? How do you know? How much does boosting increase the tangential and normal COR? If boosting does make a difference you must adapt to the changes. Boosting doesn't last that long. If you can adapt to the changes then you can adapt to changes between different types of rubber.
I don't believe there is such a thing a pre-boosted rubbers. The gases would equalize with the ambient air pressure before you open the package.
Think about it!
At a certain level, boosting gets you a little bit of spin, speed and more important, the feel of the ball increases.

From my experience, when I am tired and out of position, a little extra help from boosting is needed.

It is a matter of personal preference but I think every rubber should be boosted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
TopSpinSlingers's question was whether he or she should boost in the first place based on ITTF regulations FIRST.
I wish some people learnt to read.
To answer TopSpinSlingers's question, 2.4.7 is a Rule which is a level above a Regulation
what i was trying to say is, Why would i care about the ITTF rules about rubber stuff? Factory boosting is common and the top players get pre-treated rubbers. My enjoyment comes from playing with and against friends, and a few those use "illegal" long pips. But i am always up for the challenge and play against it anyways. There are obvious reasons to not boost, as it gives a unfair advantage, or even health reasons and many more reasons. No need to be a pro player to enjoy tabletennis, just want to get that slightly more fun with a boosted blue sponge tacky rubber ;)

by no means is this ment to be rude or anything, you are correct about how it is not allowed by ittf. But in my country, most people don't care about illegal serves, pips or rubbers.

Reactions: JJ Ng and ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
what i was trying to say is, Why would i care about the ITTF rules about rubber stuff? Factory boosting is common and the top players get pre-treated rubbers. My enjoyment comes from playing with and against friends, and a few those use "illegal" long pips. But i am always up for the challenge and play against it anyways. There are obvious reasons to not boost, as it gives a unfair advantage, or even health reasons and many more reasons. No need to be a pro player to enjoy tabletennis, just want to get that slightly more fun with a boosted blue sponge tacky rubber ;)

by no means is this ment to be rude or anything, you are correct about how it is not allowed by ittf. But in my country, most people don't care about illegal serves, pips or rubbers.
in most countries, social or amateur players don't care about rules, especially the "veterans" market.
I have no idea why Srinivas Janardhanan (james z, sjan) is so obsessed with rules, since he is no where close to be a pro player.

Just this week, I played against an old grand pa, using a Korean, 3rd generation illegal pips.
It was hell to play against but extremely fun.
i force myself to loop harder every single time. didn't do the "push" back, one would do. But hey, its just a game, its just fun and it is just that.

illegal pips is so common in Asia, boosting is so common.
illegal serves is so common in Asia with older players.
there is so just so much illegal things going on, and are they any police? no, cause its not Pro table tennis and Srinivas Janardhanan and all his alias should stop obsession in the amateur space, which includes the likes of TTD and forums.

Pro space are heavy rules affected, not amateur space.

PS. you should try the 50+ mm ABS balls, those are so fun to play with :p

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I boosted 20+ sheets of H3 neo and never got a bubble.

However, I boosted one sheet of red Sanwei Target National and it got bubble near the logo part of the sponge. I am like, really? I could not believe my eye so it is real (the bubble).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I don't think it is that frequent. The old ESN rubber where I apply one layer of booster has not bubbled up either.