The different ways of boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
in most countries, social or amateur players don't care about rules, especially the "veterans" market.
I have no idea why Srinivas Janardhanan (james z, sjan) is so obsessed with rules, since he is no where close to be a pro player.

Just this week, I played against an old grand pa, using a Korean, 3rd generation illegal pips.
It was hell to play against but extremely fun.
i force myself to loop harder every single time. didn't do the "push" back, one would do. But hey, its just a game, its just fun and it is just that.

illegal pips is so common in Asia, boosting is so common.
illegal serves is so common in Asia with older players.
there is so just so much illegal things going on, and are they any police? no, cause its not Pro table tennis and Srinivas Janardhanan and all his alias should stop obsession in the amateur space, which includes the likes of TTD and forums.

Pro space are heavy rules affected, not amateur space.

PS. you should try the 50+ mm ABS balls, those are so fun to play with :p
Today I played with a hardbat player who does not throw the ball up at all. One other player would just call let and ask him to serve over and over again. Well, I don't really care. The fact that he does not throw the ball up really messed up my timing but like you said, I find it challenging.

At the club, many players using inverted rubber also do not throw the ball up. I don't see a problem with it. It is not like they used closed fingers to impart spin on the ball, while hurling the ball into the racket. So if I win, great. If l lose, I just need to play better and train better.

We are not pro's. We are here to enjoy the sport. It is not like I am going to go hungry losing to players with illegal serves. Just let it go! :)

This user has no status.
Today I played with a hardbat player who does not throw the ball up at all. One other player would just call let and ask him to serve over and over again. Well, I don't really care. The fact that he does not throw the ball up really messed up my timing but like you said, I find it challenging.

At the club, many players using inverted rubber also do not throw the ball up. I don't see a problem with it. It is not like they used closed fingers to impart spin on the ball, while hurling the ball into the racket. So if I win, great. If l lose, I just need to play better and train better.

We are not pro's. We are here to enjoy the sport. It is not like I am going to go hungry losing to players with illegal serves. Just let it go! :)
I don't understand people who get angry playing the sport. Dude if this increases your blood pressure maybe you shouldn't be playing it as a hobby.

I recently played with a pips player who cursed four letter words like a hundred times during practice (not even like an exciting game), guy was just using some weird af medium pips and he was just attacking with all weird placements during practice which is already quite bad manners, so I gave up and just retreated to mid distance and defended stably with spin on both wings, and he was so pissed with his attacking errors like he was gonna kill someone.

This is why I quite dig Gozo's zen mentality as he's just here to have fun.

Reactions: ttarc and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Are illegal serves or pips harmful to your health ?
You say you gain an unfair advantage by spoosting but also want to spoost anyway . REALLY ?
This is how i look at it, smoking and alcohol are bad for your health. So is eating too much processed meat etc etc..
I never tried boosting so i don't know if i gain a unfair advantage, i see the hypocrisie but see what i am trying to say? Why would i complain about a company such as Donic? They HEAVY pre boost some their rubbers, anyone who pays €40 a sheet gets a "massive" advantage. Well not really because all you need to do is stop missing ur own balls. I.m.o. boosting is just another way for the consumer to get more enjoyment and durability out of their rubbers.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
This is how i look at it, smoking and alcohol are bad for your health. So is eating too much processed meat etc etc..
I never tried boosting so i don't know if i gain a unfair advantage, i see the hypocrisie but see what i am trying to say? Why would i complain about a company such as Donic? They HEAVY pre boost some their rubbers, anyone who pays €40 a sheet gets a "massive" advantage. Well not really because all you need to do is stop missing ur own balls. I.m.o. boosting is just another way for the consumer to get more enjoyment and durability out of their rubbers.
boosting = more enjoyment. I don't see why not.

illegal long pips = more enjoyment for some people. I don't see why not. I have no problem playing with anyone whose pips are not legal. If they like playing with it, then so be it.

We are here to enjoy the sport. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Fnub and ben1229
This user has no status.
Let's be real here. Boosting has some serious advantages (in increasing the spin and speed of loops without compromising too much on control), most ppl around me boost, and a lot even glue with speed glue too lmao. Why would they go through all the trouble otherwise?

Similarly lots of LP players play with illegally treated long pips (lots of recipes for eg baking in sun etc). Some even use no glue in the middle for max momentum absorption.

TT is a wild wild west sport lol

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Let's be real here. Boosting has some serious advantages (in increasing the spin and speed of loops without compromising too much on control), most ppl around me boost, and a lot even glue with speed glue too lmao. Why would they go through all the trouble otherwise?

Similarly lots of LP players play with illegally treated long pips (lots of recipes for eg baking in sun etc). Some even use no glue in the middle for max momentum absorption.

TT is a wild wild west sport lol
Lol, no glue in the middle for max momentum absorption? That's crazy and genius at the same time! :) :)

This user has no status.
Lol, no glue in the middle for max momentum absorption? That's crazy and genius at the same time! :) :)
Yeppp you can see the rubber is kinda loose at the middle and flapping around, I blasted a full blown high speed loopkill at him and it came back as a short super heavy underspin ball that double bounces 😂 it was the most ridiculous thing I've seen.

Tbh LP ppl are usually not so innocent despite a certain individual here who wants to claim the victim all the time :)

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So why is the outrage for someone to try to boost their rubber to have more fun? Not even to compete, just for fun?
nothing wrong with that.

just like playing with a 50+mm ball
or setting your own rules, because we are not bound by dictatorships in our own backyard.

but then No Substance (james) really is just in it to stir the pot. If you ask him to give you some illegal pips to try, he doesn't have any to provide. So, its not like he is overstocked with a million pips and pissed at ITTF for banning it.
He has no stock, and no substance and moaning non stop.
I actually wanted him to get him some, so I can get the coaches in SA to train kids to cope with ghostlike heavy underspin balls. Its a missing to lift and if you can lift them, you can lift anything.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
The Outlaw.jpg

No @Copyright required. Feel free to post the image anywhere. 👌 👍 👏

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Yeppp you can see the rubber is kinda loose at the middle and flapping around, I blasted a full blown high speed loopkill at him and it came back as a short super heavy underspin ball that double bounces 😂 it was the most ridiculous thing I've seen.

Tbh LP ppl are usually not so innocent despite a certain individual here who wants to claim the victim all the time :)

I can only repeat myself here. When I started playing TT in the 1980s we had to deal with 1) same color rubbers on both sides, 2) all sorts of perfectly legal hidden serves, 3) all sorts of treated rubbers be it inverted, short or long pips.
Today? There are shops like https://www.noppenladen.shop/spezialbehandlungen/ that offer treating your pips (extent pips, harden pips, reduce grip) other shops offer boosting, and still a lot of people use hidden serves. Nothing really changed and I still don't care as long as the behavior of a rubber blade combination is predictable (no friction pimples, extra long pimples, whatever = OK, parts of a rubber not glued etc. = not OK).

Back to boosting: I remove the glue layer of my H3Neos before boosting, apply a very thin layer of booster, wait until it is completely dry and see how much the rubber curls and repeat until the rubber is curled enough. I want tension not necessarily a softer rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
View attachment 25689

No @Copyright required. Feel free to post the image anywhere. 👌 👍 👏

Dima stretched the rubber by hand when he glues - is that considered changing the characteristic of the rubber?
what about sanding your blades? what about adding grip tape to the handle? isn’t that modifying the equipment also?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
my man Igor - never disappoints

Dima stretched the rubber by hand when he glues - is that considered changing the characteristic of the rubber?
what about sanding your blades? what about adding grip tape to the handle? isn’t that modifying the equipment also?

Igor is either funny, or trying very hard with his ITTF handbook that is just so weak.

3.4.2.2 The racket covering shall be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying
playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.; inparticular, no additives shall be used.

Dima video is called manual boosting/tension/stretching. So he is physically modifying it for sure.
I also see so many players use sweat or blowing into the topsheet as "chemical" treatment, in full view of the umpire, during match play lol.

there is a part where "handle" is okay to be modified, this included rubber part where the fingers touch.

2.4.5 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers
may be left uncovered or covered with any material

For example, Ma Lin and Wang Hao used to sand the rubber topsheet where the fingers touched and was allowed.
I don't sand it, but my fingers does "stain" the rubber.

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Igor is either funny, or trying very hard with his ITTF handbook that is just so weak.

3.4.2.2 The racket covering shall be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying
playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.; inparticular, no additives shall be used.

Dima video is called manual boosting/tension/stretching. So he is physically modifying it for sure.
I also see so many players use sweat or blowing into the topsheet as "chemical" treatment, in full view of the umpire, during match play lol.

there is a part where "handle" is okay to be modified, this included rubber part where the fingers touch.

2.4.5 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers
may be left uncovered or covered with any material

For example, Ma Lin and Wang Hao used to sand the rubber topsheet where the fingers touched and was allowed.
I don't sand it, but my fingers does "stain" the rubber.
so....
seems like a lot of people are doing modifications in many forms but they get angry when someone boosts?
who cares?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
so....
seems like a lot of people are doing modifications in many forms but they get angry when someone boosts?
who cares?

I remember Jun went big about his complaint few years ago.
his own team and team mate had to shut him down and later he just had to live with it.

people have not stopped "treating" rubbers for as long as I know table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I don't understand people who get angry playing the sport. Dude if this increases your blood pressure maybe you shouldn't be playing it as a hobby.

I recently played with a pips player who cursed four letter words like a hundred times during practice (not even like an exciting game), guy was just using some weird af medium pips and he was just attacking with all weird placements during practice which is already quite bad manners, so I gave up and just retreated to mid distance and defended stably with spin on both wings, and he was so pissed with his attacking errors like he was gonna kill someone.

This is why I quite dig Gozo's zen mentality as he's just here to have fun.
I agree. I don't know why people get so angry at the sport.

I mean, everyone hates losing. I think it is known that Michael Jordan is competitive about everything including playing card games with teammates. I think some people, even if money is not involved, would like to cheat and win on card games. Some are just that competitive.

And ping pong is NOT a team sport. It is one-on-one. Either you win or your lose. That does make it more intense. It is not like basketball, where it is 5-on-5 and if your team lose, then maybe your teammates suck.

But at the same time, I assume we all have careers in some other areas. Some of us have kids, etc. I think it is more important to be successfu in our careers and raise our kids right so they are good citizens of the world. So whatever happens on the ping pong table, it stays at the ping pong table. It should not change your life or change who you are as a person.

Do I get upset after losing? Yes of course. Who does not? We are playing a sport to get better. But you have to keep it in the larger perspective of life. You win some and you lose some (unless you are Ma Long; and let us be frank, none of us wants the pressure of Ma Long winning for his country on our shoulders). And you can lose to a club players five times in a row and win once and then avoid playing with him ever again and brag about how you beat him last 2 years ago. Lol. So don't take the sport too seriously and just play and enjoy it.

Reactions: blahness