The Pro's Equipment - Discussion!

This user has no status.
did you ask why? isen't the szlc better?

Maybe its because SZLC is too powerful that it brings adverse effects to the short game. Sure he has the skills to play effectively close to the table with SZLC but the extra effort needed to ensure this might not be worth it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Li Ping using Viscaria H3 BS and somekind of Tenergy on the BH

image.jpeg

Courtesy of ITTF from the Asian Qualification Tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and duan
says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
Li Ping using Viscaria H3 BS and somekind of Tenergy on the BH

image.jpeg

Courtesy of ITTF from the Asian Qualification Tournament.

Nice to see him change from FH acuda and BH baracuda... but I wonder why does not he use his signature LiPing donic blade.

Nice to see him change from FH acuda and BH baracuda... but I wonder why does not he use his signature LiPing donic blade.

Fan Zhendong doesn't use stiga but only the handle :)
Zhang Jike doesn't use ZJK ALC, ZJK ZLC, not ZJK SZLC, but Viscaria.
All CNT players use DHS rubber for FH.

Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
Yes, I mentioned it earlier that chinese like to change the handle on their blades for marketing purposes. Maybe ZJK played with his signature blade the original ZJK ALC at the olympics, but that was it. But it was only a slight modification of the Viscaria blade, but he reverted back. I wonder if that will happen, when Kenta Matsudaira gets his signature blade from butterfly which is also a modified Visacaria (more flexible and 30% faster).

Maybe Liu SW uses Tibhar Grip S on her FH.

Yes, I mentioned it earlier that chinese like to change the handle on their blades for marketing purposes. Maybe ZJK played with his signature blade the original ZJK ALC at the olympics, but that was it. But it was only a slight modification of the Viscaria blade, but he reverted back. I wonder if that will happen, when Kenta Matsudaira gets his signature blade from butterfly which is also a modified Visacaria (more flexible and 30% faster).

Liu Shiwen uses DHS H3 blue sponge on her FH~

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
?Does Dimitrij Ovtcharov really play with the Ovtcharov Original Senso carbon?? Or does he use the waldner senso carbon?

Neither.

When plastic was introduced, he switched to a clipper-like 7-ply blade with the dyed red plies. After a few months he moved to "something" different, which based on some close-up images appears to be an ALC blade with the Ovtcharov Original handle and some wooden edge banding around the handle. Because it's definitely ALC (woven, blue colour) and not simple carbon, it can't be the Original or the WSC. People have speculated that it's a Butterfly blade (TBS, Boll ALC, etc), but it could reasonably be a Baum Spirit or a custom Donic blade. In fact, Donic have a new blade coming out in the next few months called the Ovtcharov True Carbon:

http://www.donic.de/index.php?screen=dstore.item.view&TreeNodeID=34037

And you never know - it could be this one. Or not.

Neither.

When plastic was introduced, he switched to a clipper-like 7-ply blade with the dyed red plies. After a few months he moved to "something" different, which based on some close-up images appears to be an ALC blade with the Ovtcharov Original handle and some wooden edge banding around the handle. Because it's definitely ALC (woven, blue colour) and not simple carbon, it can't be the Original or the WSC. People have speculated that it's a Butterfly blade (TBS, Boll ALC, etc), but it could reasonably be a Baum Spirit or a custom Donic blade. In fact, Donic have a new blade coming out in the next few months called the Ovtcharov True Carbon:

Thanks!!! I learned something new!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

I don't think kenta would use a different composition for his own blade. It might be special in a way that some of the layers are thicker and it's heavier but I don't see a point of japanese company creating a signature blade for japanese player when the japanese player don't use the same blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
watched a bit of li xiaoxia vs feng tianwei.
feng was using innerforce zlc.
she was using zjk szlc before, before that maybe viscaria.
she changes quite a lot!!!

Feng Tianwei has been using ZJK ALC with prints of dragon for a long time. Then she changed to ZJK SZLC for a while. And now Innerforce Layer ZLC.

watched a bit of li xiaoxia vs feng tianwei.
feng was using innerforce zlc.
she was using zjk szlc before, before that maybe viscaria.
she changes quite a lot!!!

Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
Neither.

If you try to guess the whole story it is plausable that he changed his blade along with the rubbers he used to butterfly. First the BH to T05, then the FH too. Then the blade to something. It would be logical to use a Butterfly blade that is/was developed to that rubber.

Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
If you try to guess the whole story it is plausable that he changed his blade along with the rubbers he used to butterfly. First the BH to T05, then the FH too. Then the blade to something. It would be logical to use a Butterfly blade that is/was developed to that rubber.

After some research on the blades in the Donic shop and after reading the introducion of the blades I came to an another solution. If I remember correctly in 2014 the 25 year anniversery World Champion blade series came out (Appelgren, Waldner and Persson respectively). These blades are made in Germany, some speculate/claim that they are made by Soulspin. I tend to believe that. So after the introduction of the series shortly came the Ovtcharov Feat 5 ply pure wood blade from Soulspin factory. But there was no carbon Ovtcharov blade introduced, only the "legends" have their signature blades with carbon. So now I see this blade (Ovtcharov Powercarbon) as a gap filler in the new Soulspin series.

So for me the introduction of this blade was necessary in two ways.

Firstly: the manners! Donic has some (older) legends among their ranks so they can make blades with their names. But there is Dima as a future legend, so it would look bad if the company did not produce an Ovtcharow blade with the same technology.

Secondly: the missing product line. So they made a blade, but that was a nice ALL+/OFF- allwood blade. That blade does not represent what a modern OFF blade is today, so they made one with his name. With this poly ball story, the customer/fan is lured in for a purchase.

(I did not mention the Crest series, because they are 9 ply blades and they represent a different product line from Donic (Soulspin)).

- I love soulspin blades I have a Waldner too, the master signed it himself.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

I thought he had been using Tenergy for a loooong time, prior to the introduction of plastic.

It's very possible that he's using a butterfly blade with donic handles, but there isn't conclusive evidence IMO.