The young prevails, Xu Xin dominates Slovenia Open 2011

The Slovenia Open is now over in 2011 and now we look forward to the English Open coming up this week. However, the Slovenia Open saw some incredible matches, and the winner to overcome the hurdles was Xu Xin.

Xin+Xu+16th+Asian+Games+Day+7+Table+Tennis+abxKwGe  _Bzsl.jpg

(November 18, 2010 - Photo by Hannah Johnston/Getty Images AsiaPac)

Xu Xin defeated chinease team mate, the reigning Olympic champion Ma Lin at the final hurdle. The young stars really were in top form as Wu Yang won the womens singles who is only 19, just after Xu.

Xu Xin defeated Ma Lin at the Slovenia Open 2011 in 6 tough fought games and the outcome was 14-16, 11-9, 11-9, 6-11, 11-9, 12-10.

Familiar
"We always practise together so we know each other's game really well”, said Xu Xin. “My strategy today was straightforward; I took some risks and I won the important points.”

It was close with only one game not being decided by the minimum two point margin; however Xu Xin, who like Chen Qi shows his emotions, emerged a worthy winner as a result of his positive approach.

Helps Fighting Spirit
"I don’t think I’m that different because I show my feelings; the only thing that perhaps make me special is that I’m a left handed penholder”, added Xu Xin; the element that makes him special is the incredible speed of his sideways movement.

“Showing my emotions keeps me alert at all times”, concluded Xu Xin. “It maintains my fighting spirit; that can be a key in my matches."

New Bat Rubber
A delighted Xu Xin but Ma Lin was somewhat disheartened.

"I am a bit disappointed, I had some troubles with my forehand; I have a new rubber on my racket and I’m not totally used to it”, he said. “I still need more time to adapt.”

Possibly but he did beat Wang Hao, the reigning World champion in the semi-finals and of course he has a wealth of experience.

Tactically Astute Young Players
"Wang Liqin and myself, for example, have been around for quite a while now; we've been key players for a decade but there are young players bursting onto the scene”, continued Ma Lin. “We don't have tactical or technical advantages over them any more, I believe that the Chinese training system gives every player a chance of staying in top shape; so I think I can still win major tournaments."

London Olympic Games
Win tournaments, so what about defending his title at the 2012 London Olympic Games?

"London is a long way away at the moment, the first goal is this year's World Championships but naturally the Olympic Games are something every sportsman wants to be a part of”, continued Ma Lin. “I think the Chinese players in the national team all have an equal chance of playing in London.”

The players comments are taken from http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=22975&Category=General&Competition_ID=&

Watch the video below for the final

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Do you think it is time for Ma Lin to get retired? He has been loosing to Xu Xin number of times.

Your right, its interesting actaully why he is still in the team. He is olympic champion... younger ones are coming through like Xu Xin, Ma Long, Zhang Jike.... Maybe he should finish knowing hes olympic champion :)

But maybe the hunger is still there to try and qualify for the london 2012 games... I think thats his plan ;)