Thin topsheet thick sponge rubber

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
In theory, thinnest possible topsheet with pips inward would be about 1 millimeter in total, clear of glue. 729 Dragon pro F maybe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
What is the purpose of having a thin top sheet?
easier to activate, to grab the ball. Think about it, if our strokes are relax - explode - recover. Isn't it better to have a low initial energy requirement then have a hard sponge to bring us all the way through? We have less speed when we first contact the ball than when we finish the stroke.

This user has no status.
Plus one on all the Rasanter recommendations - they fill this need very nicely. Myself I like R42 but they're all pretty good really.

The Joola Energy Extra Green Power has a thicker top sheet than the Rasnters, but it fills the brief in terms of having that springy, catapult feeling and very soft sponge. I recommend it as it's usually cheaper per sheet than the Rasanter rubbers.

If you want a budget Chinese version though, then it's a harder brief to satisfy. None of the ones I've seen really have thin top-sheets, though you can find a few with softer than average top sheets which can feel a little bit similar, depending on your blade.

The closest low-budget options I can think of (with a playing feel like you describe), is either a F3S in 38 degree sponge (if you can find one - dunno if they're made anymore), or else maybe a Tuttle Beijing IV (a chronically underrated, low budget all-round rubber with solid spin and speed, and a nice catapult-ish playing feel that's still a bit more linear than your average ESN tensor). These last two team better with a harder stiffer blade IMO. Put them on a softer looping blade with limba outers, and it all might feel a bit too 'mushy'.

Last edited:
Reactions: hclnnkhg