Difference between the regular ESN sponge and the "bonus thick" ESN sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
What is the difference in the overall performance between a "regular" ESN rubber like Donic M1 and the "bonus thick" sponge with thinner topsheet rubber like Z1?

When you make the sponge thicker and topsheet thinner, what advantages do you gain? What do you sacrifice?

I don't like these Z1 and Rasanter rubbers visually. It makes it seem like one side of the racket is much thicker than the other side, and it just looks off balance to me. But I can live with the visual awkwardness. But what is the actual effect on performance?

I believe Rasanter, Bluestorm, Stiga DNA use this "bonus thick" style of sponge. Not sure if any other series do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
The one rubber i noticed most is Z1, it felt like soft touch and short game are weaker. But looping backspin balls are awesome. So much spin that Tenergy just doesn't give on those balls.
Especially Z1 doesn't feel balanced at all during driving shots for me.

Meanwhile DNA pro feels like any regular rubber to me, which i love. It doesn't lack anything, a real jack of all trades. That is why i use it on Forehand :)

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Those who complain that Z1 and its equivalent has poor touch and short play potential are missing some points.

Z1 and its like are engineered to play modern offensive topspin loop. It does what it does. It supports the European stye of play, that is, mid to far table emphasizing powerful topspin loops rally, out-rallying our opponent to win points.