This info will save you a lot of money !

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lemon juice and Olive Oil are great topsheet cleaning/restoring materials used together.

Sounds like a recipe for an Italian pasta dish. Lemon juice, olive oil, and Calibra LT. Perhaps some garlic and some oregano.

Reactions: GalaxyRacer
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Olive OIL (mixed with lemon juice) is an OUTSTANDING cleaner/rejuvinator of topsheets, ESPECIALLY the tacky Chinese topsheets.

if you plan to store a Chinese topshete, spread teh Olive Oil, and immediately slap on that protective film tight and voilla! You are ready to mothball that sucker for years to come!

Reactions: Markvee
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Methinks I gets more quotes than likes. That is good though, likes are over-rated.

Wonder if there could be a hate button and I could earn hate points hehe.

Perhaps a certain # of quotes can = 1 hate. And a certain number of likes can = 1 hate. So if you are quoted 10 times there could be an additional field that would read: Hated 10 times. And if you are liked 10 times that field could read: Hated 10 times. And if you were liked 10 times and quoted 10 times there could be some random formula added to the numbers so you would get a reading like: Hated 1010 times. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Olive OIL (mixed with lemon juice) is an OUTSTANDING cleaner/rejuvinator of topsheets, ESPECIALLY the tacky Chinese topsheets.

if you plan to store a Chinese topshete, spread teh Olive Oil, and immediately slap on that protective film tight and voilla! You are ready to mothball that sucker for years to come!
So...do I mix 'em then spread it?
Or do I spread them individually?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If you want to clean and restore, mix both together and then rub on topsheet, let sit a minute or two, then wipe off with clean towel.

To make long term storage of a rubber, rub in a liberal ammount of olive oil and slap on a protective sheet as best you can and you are set to store it.

Reactions: XIII
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
If you want to clean and restore, mix both together and then rub on topsheet, let sit a minute or two, then wipe off with clean towel.

To make long term storage of a rubber, rub in a liberal ammount of olive oil and slap on a protective sheet as best you can and you are set to store it.
Thanks for duh info!
I might save some cash now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Just so people are fully informed before trying any of this.

I think anything that changes the playing characteristics of your rubber is deemed illegal.

I do not play at a high enough standard or take the game seriously enough to get bothered one way or the other but I can think a a number of players who would be unhappy if they felt their opponent was breaking the rules in order to gain an advantage. for some it is a contenscious issue.

I do believe the rule is specific to the playing characteristics of the rubber SURFACE, and the sponge is only mentioned when considering the overall thickness of the blade. As for the speed glue ban, it was made illegal due to health concerns regarding the players, not so much the effect on the game. The 40mm ball was the ITTF's attempt at restoring a pace that is easier to follow along for the lay person.

I agree with Belisar. I do not play at high enough a standard to make much of a stink about this, just wanted to chime in!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I do believe the rule is specific to the playing characteristics of the rubber SURFACE, and the sponge is only mentioned when considering the overall thickness of the blade. As for the speed glue ban, it was made illegal due to health concerns regarding the players, not so much the effect on the game. The 40mm ball was the ITTF's attempt at restoring a pace that is easier to follow along for the lay person.

I agree with Belisar. I do not play at high enough a standard to make much of a stink about this, just wanted to chime in!
Someone should make a speed glue that doesn't harm health.

This user has no status.
ok now back to some useful info on boosting to restore ols rubber

i succesfully restored a Tibhar Genius (red 1,8mm , the standard Genius!) with paraffine on the sponge and on the outer surface, the Genius was really completely inable to generate any spin
now i would guess it has 90% of its spin back !!

anyone triede to boost/restore an old Tenergy (05, 64, 05 fx ...), please report on your results !!

cheers !!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Actually, this is not accurate. How speed glue and boost work is that they cause the sponge to expand which puts the topsheet on tension, causes the sponge to be softer and have more deformation, so the ball sinks in more to the topsheet that is on tension and therefore has more grip, and what you get is a rubber that is faster, grippier, has more spin and better control. So the rule applies to chemicals you put on the sponge more than to anything else. This is why they now use water based glue instead of the old rubber cement.

Now, I do think it is a little silly for them to ban substances that are not hazardous to your health. But they have. I also think it is universally ignored and I don't think the rule makes much sense and I don't think it matters too much.

The info phillypong is presenting can help prolong the life of your rubber so you spend less money. I am all for that.