Tibhar Stratus Power Wood upgrade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hello everyone,

I've been playing table tennis for several years, and about 6 of them in a club, so I would rate myself at an intermediate level. I'm a 2 wing looper and my strongest point is my BH, while I'm always more sceptical about my FH.

I've been using the Tibhar Stratus power wood for around 2 years, with fx-p on backhand and either Nittaku fastarc g1 or xiom vega x on FH, and I quite like these combinations. However, some of my teammates recommended I might go for a carbon blade. Even though I'm not interested in switching to composite blades, I started thinking about getting a "better" all-wood one. The ones I've been looking at are either Nittaku acoustic or Butterfly Petr korbel. Money is not an issue up to approx $200.

Has anyone used any of these blades and could make a recommendation? Could acoustic be considered an upgrade or these two blades play too similar? From my side, I evaluate control and feel higher than speed.

Thanks!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive choose the seven ply version and not the five ply one.
alternatively can check out the list below:

Tibhar Stratus Powerwood is a five ply OFF- blade.

Your natural progression will be a seven ply wood, E.g.,

1. Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive

2. Stiga Clipper

3. BTY SK 7

4. Donic Dyjas / Feng Power

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I don't think the Acoustic or Korbel are necessarily 'upgrades' to the TSPW. They're all around OFF- rated 5 ply blades and whether they are an upgrade for you will depend on your personal preferences (what sort of feedback you like, what is more comfortable handle wise, etc.).

If you want to try something a bit faster and more powerful but still stay in the all-wood territory, you can consider 7 ply blades. These will be more difficult to loop with but are more stable and better for blocking and flat hitting. Depending on the thickness of the 7 ply blade and hardness of the outer layer, the more they will diverge from your thinner 5 ply limba outer blades.

For example, the Sanwei Fextra 7 is 6.0mm (thinner than your TSPW) with two limba outer layers so it might feel similar to your setup. Stiga Clipper and blades based on Clipper can be 6.6 mm and feel much harder and faster depending on it's composition. For instance, Yinhe Purple Dragon 537 and Nittaku Barwell have walnut outer layers which are harder than the standard limba outer.

Reactions: bobisekmilky
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I think both Korbel and Acoustic are a bit slower than SPW. And the Ma Lin Extra Special for 7 ply or the Goiabao 5 for 5 ply would certainly be faster, but would not feel or play as soft as limba surface blades like SPW. I think an inner composition mixed fiber blade with limba outer would make the most sense to me given factors like blade thickness and such but even then you have to take into consideration the presence of the composite fiber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
If you want faster SPW type of blade (Acoustic and Korbel and Offensive S are at similar speed or a bit slower), try Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (with blue handle). It is a 7-ply all wood blade with thickness of 6.3 mm (a bit thicker than SPW). The plus side is that it is actually more balanced compared to that of SPW. It is a good blade, even Samsonov used it for quite some time in the past (before changing to the black edition / Clipper like, and changed again to other blades).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hello everyone,

I've been playing table tennis for several years, and about 6 of them in a club, so I would rate myself at an intermediate level. I'm a 2 wing looper and my strongest point is my BH, while I'm always more sceptical about my FH.

I've been using the Tibhar Stratus power wood for around 2 years, with fx-p on backhand and either Nittaku fastarc g1 or xiom vega x on FH, and I quite like these combinations. However, some of my teammates recommended I might go for a carbon blade. Even though I'm not interested in switching to composite blades, I started thinking about getting a "better" all-wood one. The ones I've been looking at are either Nittaku acoustic or Butterfly Petr korbel. Money is not an issue up to approx $200.

Has anyone used any of these blades and could make a recommendation? Could acoustic be considered an upgrade or these two blades play too similar? From my side, I evaluate control and feel higher than speed.

Thanks!
Got recommended to this thread. Apparently, I own 8 Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. So my first question is, why switch? It is a very good blade.
I use Chinese rubber on my forehand side and G-1 on the backhand side. If you want faster set-up, then upgrade to Tenergy. I personally have one SPW with Tenergy fx on both sides and it is too fast for me. My club coach convinced me to give it a try and it is collecting dust.

If you insists on changing your blade, Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black edition is stiffer and faster. So a bit harder to generate spin. But you are asking for a "speed upgrade" so that would be my suggestion.

Tibhar Fortino Performance is a slower carbon blade that has a good woody feel to it. I have one. I tried it and it was very easy to upgrade from SPW to Fortino performance. The latter somehow has faster speed but yet I did not feel a loss of any control.

I think if you like SPW, then stick within the Tibhar family of blades (whether 7-ply or composite). Why go outside the family and have to get used to a new blade? When you have it good, keep it there. Don't mess with it too much.

Reactions: Kolev
I Also don’t see a Korbel being an upgrade…

I would in your case agree with your club mates. With that kind of budget and 6+ years experience get an innerforce carbon blade I.e Butterfly innerforce ALC.

Or if you’re like me hellbent on wood, contact “hipnotic” on this site. Check his work out, tell him what you want and he will make it for you. I have two of his creations and they are absolutely top notch.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 2 reviews
Innerforce ALC, Korbel SK7 or similar soft, low vibration inner carbon or 7 ply blades fit the bill. I think both are a bit faster and relatively similiar to control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I think both Korbel and Acoustic are a bit slower than SPW. And the Ma Lin Extra Special for 7 ply or the Goiabao 5 for 5 ply would certainly be faster, but would not feel or play as soft as limba surface blades like SPW. I think an inner composition mixed fiber blade with limba outer would make the most sense to me given factors like blade thickness and such but even then you have to take into consideration the presence of the composite fiber.
I agree with the inner carbon approach and would highly recommend Joola Rossi Emotion or Butterfly innerforce ALC.