Tibhar VS Unlimited Feedback

NDH

says Spin to win!
I've just had a very short training session - Managed to get a little bit on film so I'm uploading as I type (slow internet here!)

Some more feedback for anyone following.......

This is probably more aimed at the rubbers than the blade - I think the blade will suit anyone who enjoys playing with a OFF Carbon blade.

One thing to note is that the handle of the VSU is long - It's perfect for me, and when I tried a TB ALC, the handle felt short!

Regarding the rubbers........

I'm not enjoying it on the BH as much as I would like - The ball has a tendency to slide off a little given how hard the sponge is. I certainly need to improve the consistent spinny action of my backhand, as I'll go for the drive too often (when it really needs to be spun).

But.... Boy are these rubbers spinny!

You'll see from the video that my playing partner was struggling to keep the blocks on the table - To be fair, she hasn't played all summer (usually the best blocker I know), but I also think the sheer amount of spin you can generate from MX-S is really hard to handle.

In a perfect world, I'd like the sponge to be a little softer, to give it some more dwell time on the back hand - I'm going to stick with it for now, but I may try some others when I switch.

I love it on the forehand - It's in-between H3 and T05 - The counter loop ability is wonderful, and the feel is very nice on the blocks - Extremely solid when paired with the VSU.

I've got some slo mo in the video - Not that you can really see a lot!

Anyway, I'll post it here shortly.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Here's the video - My comments are on the previous post.

The one thing I'll reconfirm is the spin you can generate is insane! It doesn't look a lot, but you can see the arc, and if you hit the ball well, it's going to work really well for you.

If anyone has any questions/comments - Let me know!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pk2EWBlHoQc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
Reactions: doraemon

NDH

says Spin to win!
Question for you folk - How late do you take the ball?

I've always taken the ball later than I should - A byproduct of enjoying "fishing" at the back of the court.

I'm trying to take the ball earlier these days - I think the rally at 27 seconds is about perfect for me.

Do you like to take the ball early or late?

This user has no status.
I take the ball earlier than you. Partially to do with the fact that i block on my backhand a fair amount and its much easier to apply pressure the closer you are. I don't really have the footwork to support that on the fh side a lot of the time so i step back a bit and then play from there but try to avoid letting the ball a lot.
Personally I think you'd probably benefit from playing forwards more than up btw. Once you open up there's no need for a big swing where the bat goes from low to high as the ball should already be above net-height or close to it when you contact it so a short counter stroke would allow you to give your opponent less time to react while probably providing a higher quality ball as the return would bounce lower and be faster.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I think 100% of the people would say similar to you.

I used to play another metre or so further away - Far too enjoyable, and didn't get as many wins! haha.

I'm not as quick as most when I go closer to the table - If I get into a "quick hitting" match with someone, I usually come off worse (I blame the long arms).

Likewise, I can reach more than most away from the table, and still get a decent ball.

I'm working on improving my countering, to allow me to play a little closer - But I'll always play a bit further away than most!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews

I've always taken the ball later than I should - A byproduct of enjoying "fishing" at the back of the court.

I'm trying to take the ball earlier these days - I think the rally at 27 seconds is about perfect for me.

I usually take the ball early around top of bounce. Of cause in game situations you are not always in position to do that.

I remember a Chinese coach Li Sun is trying to emphasise to take the ball a bit before TOB. The new plastic ball allows you to do that because of less spin and the ball is bouncing a bit higher than the celluloid ball.
It is something to reflect about.

I think Zeio posted a vid tutorial where Li Sun is teaching club players the new way to loop.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I usually take the ball early around top of bounce. Of cause in game situations you are not always in position to do that.

I remember a Chinese coach Li Sun is trying to emphasise to take the ball a bit before TOB. The new plastic ball allows you to do that because of less spin and the ball is bouncing a bit higher than the celluloid ball.
It is something to reflect about.

I think Zeio posted a vid tutorial where Li Sun is teaching club players the new way to loop.

I've spoken to a lot of top coaches who say to take the ball just before the top of the bounce.

I guess if you are close to the table and attacking, that's the way to go.

I don't think I'll ever be in that mould - It's just not my style.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

NDH

says Spin to win!
no haha i played 1 weekend in champs and then 1 weekend in div B - no westfield tho. First season ive actually thought about finding a team in time for the season to start haha

Weekends are hard for me - I played much more than I had intended last year.

Plus..... 2 whole days for only 8 matches! Eurgh......

In my opinion, your forehand technique is not optimal/not proper. It seems you push/brush the ball more instead of actually hitting the ball. It seems like you use wrong part of your body to generate the force, but I cant tell exactly. This results in your ball lacking speed and killing power. Maybe this is caused by the blade u used when you developed your technique (like, blade hard in topply (like hinoki) combine with soft rubber). With this technique, you cant have killer forehand.

OTOH, your backhand stroke is good, it has correct amount hitting/brushing ratio, but u finish the stroke too high (maybe because you take the ball too late), you need to take take it earlier and the finish position should be more forward.

Btw, the lady in pink looks cute :p

edit: this 2 videos could be good references
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9MghmZzz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XSv6UK2CMI

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Fanz - I think your opinion possibly comes from playing with Chinese rubbers, which requires a different stroke altogether.

I also think a lot of amateur players on the forums try and play with H3, or see their idols (the CNT), play with H3, with their specific style, and try and emulate them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play like Ma Long, but it isn't going to happen :p

But without seeing you play, it's hard to comment.

I'd disagree about "not being able to have a killer forehand" - But we are all entitled to our opinions ;)

Thanks for your view point though, I've always said we should have more user videos (in the age where everyone has a smartphone, it shouldn't be hard to get some footage).

Edit - In response to the 2 YT links you added.

"Loop like Ma Long....." Like I said, it's a different stroke, for a different rubber.

I see you play with H3, so it's certainly more relevant to you.

The other video is good, I've watched it before.

But again, until I see you play, it's difficult to know what level of conversation we are having ;)

Last edited:
Hey Fanz - I think your opinion possibly comes from playing with Chinese rubbers, which requires a different stroke altogether.

I also think a lot of amateur players on the forums try and play with H3, or see their idols (the CNT), play with H3, with their specific style, and try and emulate them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play like Ma Long, but it isn't going to happen :p

But without seeing you play, it's hard to comment.

I'd disagree about "not being able to have a killer forehand" - But we are all entitled to our opinions ;)

Thanks for your view point though, I've always said we should have more user videos (in the age where everyone has a smartphone, it should be hard to get some footage).

I included 2 videos as reference just now, hopefully they can be good reference.

Also in my opinion h3 chinese technique vs tenergy tensor technique is bullshit. They're the same. H3 when boosted properly feels like tenergy with slight tackiness.

Look at Liam's technique here: https://youtu.be/y6X0bHFXhr4?t=3m34s . His technique is not that different with the chinese.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I included 2 videos as reference just now, hopefully they can be good reference.

Also in my opinion h3 chinese technique vs tenergy tensor technique is bullshit. They're the same. H3 when boosted properly feels like tenergy with slight tackiness.

Look at Liam's technique here: https://youtu.be/y6X0bHFXhr4?t=3m34s . His technique is not that different with the chinese.

We can agree to disagree on that one - I think there is absolutely a different technique required - It's not as dramatic as some make out, but it's certainly different.

There will always be exceptions to the rule, and professional players will be able to handle anything.

However, until I see what level you are speaking from, it's difficult to gauge the conversation.

You could be a fantastic player with perfect technique, or you could be terrible, but has watched a lot of pro matches, and perhaps understands the game better than they play it.

Both are fine of course - But we'd really need to see you play before listening too much to your advice on technique.

This user has no status.
Tenergy plays very different to a boosted H3 imo. Its still nowhere near as bouncy so flat hitting is still not really a great option. Killer forehands dont necessarily rely on power too as long as the placement is good. While i'd say the weight transfer is partially in the wrong direction (up instead of forward) there is no way in hell a 6"4 player can play a chinese style forehand just because the middle would be unbelievably easy to target (one of the main issues pitchford has )

Reactions: NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!
Tenergy plays very different to a boosted H3 imo. Its still nowhere near as bouncy so flat hitting is still not really a great option. Killer forehands dont necessarily rely on power too as long as the placement is good. While i'd say the weight transfer is partially in the wrong direction (up instead of forward) there is no way in hell a 6"4 player can play a chinese style forehand just because the middle would be unbelievably easy to target (one of the main issues pitchford has )

The higher up the ranks you go, the more spin and placement take over from power - As I'm sure you are aware.

It's one of the great joys of internet forums - Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as we see all too often, people can give inaccurate assessments, which to a player looking to learn, is more harmful than good.

Luckily I wasn't hear to lean (well, not in that sense), but as I bang on about user videos, it's only fair I post some myself!

I know what standard you play at @EvilOctopus, so I can take your messages on board.

It's impossible to take on board things that are being said from someone you've never seen play though (in my honest opinion).

Reactions: NextLevel