Using a Blade designed for table tennis - Why isn't everyone making the switch!?

This user has no status.
20240322_165344.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
From researching the Nittaku tenaly handles further, it seems like the handle is too thin near the blade. Some believe it's due to being designed specifically for smaller Japanese women hands (the designer was a former women's champion). Other's think that it's thin so that it can double as a penhold as well as shakehand. The result is many people are suggesting it be 'fixed' for shakehand players with grip tape.

I'm starting to think that Tenaly isn't popular because Nittaku botched its launch by not designing it specifically for shakehand and for normal sized men's hands (which comprise the large majority of the market) and instead trying to cover too many bases at the same time. If you're going to convince people to switch to an ergonomic handle, it better feel perfect for the shakehand player, and enough for them to invest time to switch. By making it try to appeal to everyone, it ended up being suitable for nobody.

I'll still probably pick up one out of curiosity and then fix the thinness with grip tape. But infamou thin Nittaku handle is the exact reason why I got rid of my Acoustic. Right now it looks like the true Tenaly experience can only experienced by people with very small hands or people who can risk have a custom blade and handle made.
Handle Tenaly Size :
Tenaly, lenght 95,3 mm; width 22,6 (at thumb) 26,8 (in the middle) - 34,8 (at the end base); height 20,5 - 20,7

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Handle Tenaly Size :
Tenaly, lenght 95,3 mm; width 22,6 (at thumb) 26,8 (in the middle) - 34,8 (at the end base); height 20,5 - 20,7

Thanks I had a chance to hold the handles of all Nittaku Tenaly models recently.

The Acoustic versions felt a bit thicker and substantial than the non-Acoustic. I'm not sure if that was psychological or actual. They just looked and felt better.

Still felt a bit too small, unfortunately.