Various Forehand topspin techniques

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Hello TTD!,

First of all I want to thank you on feedback on my last video :)
In this video I compared various arm positions in forehand topspin.
My conclusion is that there is no wonder why chinese are so much strong in their attacking game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTuR4rzAPUE&t=1s

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
To loop with a straight arm you need really great feet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Nice slowmo again! Although Falck is a pip player so it’s difficult to say. I’d love to see you breaking down Hugo, Simon Gauzy, Wang Chuqin (more questionable cases, less typical).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
In penhold there is this top spin with wrist action and there is this no wrist top spin, the top spin with wrist is much faster, high level penhold players do this style, but I have a lesser accuracy on this with wrist topspin, I'm not sure if it also applies on shakehand grip.

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It also applies to shakehand and you don’t need to be “high level” . On shakehand side, if you want a proper and consistent technique though, you learn it last. If you are a spin-based player, sooner or later you’ll have to use the wrist as it has to be very flex anw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I do what I call wrist loops. Usually these are used against slow balls that are close to the net.
I want spin and not speed.
When I am back swinging hard I use my wrist a little but it is minor compared to my whole arm swing.
c-pen players can apply more spin with their wrist because the sweat spot of the contact area is farther away from the wrist than it would be for a shake hands player. I have also heard of c-pen players complaining about their wrists hurting.
I like using my wrist when returning serves using RPB.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I think the loop stroke depends on anatomy. If you have longer limbs, you may need to bend your arms more. If your arms are shorter, it feels natural for your arm to be straighter. More important is the body rotation with the arm. That timing is hard to get down

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I think the loop stroke depends on anatomy. If you have longer limbs, you may need to bend your arms more. If your arms are shorter, it feels natural for your arm to be straighter. More important is the body rotation with the arm. That timing is hard to get down

Not much to do with how long your arm is. If you are 20cm taller, your 1/2 arm is only actually 5-6cm longer.
It’s mostly in the equipment you use. If you use Chinese tacky rubber, like all top Chinese players do, you can swing as large as you want due to its low throw and non-bounciness. If you use tension (Euro/Jap) rubber, it’s too bouncy, you loose control when you swing too large. It’s very very hard for me to keep the ball on the table when I switch to try with my backhand rubber (which is a tension one).

Reactions: ttarc