Video Footage Safe Thread

NDH

says Spin to win!
What NDH was meaning is after you serve (and want to maximize the use of your fh) that you should be at your bh corner... so you have more table ready to open with your fh.

What I was saying months ago that if you serve fh corner and want to use your bh (or fh with a slide step) that you should take a step to wards your bh corner after the serve... this gives you 60 percent of the table for your bh, and more for your fh if you do a slide step.

Staying in the fh corner after your serve gives you a bad low percentage chance for a bh if ball is returned to bh corner... it is way out of your zone so you get a miss or just push ball back, which is not to your advantage.
I'll reiterate a little of what I said to Gozo in a DM.

It all comes down to your strengths.

From memory, Gozo was quite backhand dominant a few months ago, so Der's advice would have been spot on.

However, from recent videos, Gozo is much stronger at initiating the attack when it's on his FH, and he seems to get a little stuck in a pushing rally when it's on his BH.

The classic "3rd ball attack" is an option on a lot of points at Gozo's current level.

Good serve, and then come in behind it with a nice topspin FH.

But to do this.... You can't serve and then centre yourself in the middle of the table, as you'll struggle to get your FH into action (which was evident in the videos).

The flip side of this is...... I have found that developing a very good backhand is MUCH more effective in matches than a good FH.

But these are all advanced shots, which aren't going to come overnight, and looking at Gozo's progression so far, he's going in the right direction!

Keep up the good work!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The key point is knowing how to position yourself rather than being in a position without even knowing why you are in that position. :)

If you are on the BH side and ready for any ball, you can cover BH and wide BH with the BH, you also can cover the whole table, from BH corner to wide FH with FH if you know how to move ONE STEP.

If you are in the middle and ready, you can cover from the midline to the BH corner with BH and you can cover from a little bit on the BH side to the wide FH with the FH....again, this is if you know how to take one step. In this position what is vulnerable is the wide BH.

If you are deep in the FH side and turned to the BH, the only thing you can really cover is if the ball is hit fairly close to directly at you. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, trying to get the fh into play when you are in center of table can happen only if ball goes to wide fh. Center of table is a bad place for fh to open unless opponent hands you a chance in the right place.
Nah, just run down everything, you just have to be the Flash.

NDH

says Spin to win!
In an extremely rare turn of events, I actually had a little practice tonight rather than a league match.

I think the last time I practiced was before Covid, as I'm usually playing one or two league matches per week, and don't get other time to play!

Anyway, I just wanted to put a little video out there of what I personally would love to see from others who are looking for help.

I appreciate a lot of people want to be able to comment across all topics on TTD, and that is absolutely there right to do so.

But if this forum can be of any help what so ever, a little video of the basics would do wonders if you are looking for pointers.

I'll add another one tomorrow of some highlight match points during the evening, but the video below shows all the basics....

FH to FH
FH Loop
BH to BH
BH Loop
FH Loop against chop (short pimples)
BH Loop against chop (short pimples)

To be honest, you'd just need the FH to FH and BH to BH really - Anything more than that is gonna help add context, but you can take quite a bit from the real basics.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
In an extremely rare turn of events, I actually had a little practice tonight rather than a league match.

I think the last time I practiced was before Covid, as I'm usually playing one or two league matches per week, and don't get other time to play!

Anyway, I just wanted to put a little video out there of what I personally would love to see from others who are looking for help.

I appreciate a lot of people want to be able to comment across all topics on TTD, and that is absolutely there right to do so.

But if this forum can be of any help what so ever, a little video of the basics would do wonders if you are looking for pointers.

I'll add another one tomorrow of some highlight match points during the evening, but the video below shows all the basics....

FH to FH
FH Loop
BH to BH
BH Loop
FH Loop against chop (short pimples)
BH Loop against chop (short pimples)

To be honest, you'd just need the FH to FH and BH to BH really - Anything more than that is gonna help add context, but you can take quite a bit from the real basics.

I looked at your video and compared to mine and I realised the one thing I did not do when looping underspin ball is to get low and swing up. I was using my arm 100% and this is where I meet with failure. I competely forget my lower part of the body.

Reactions: NextLevel and NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!
I looked at your video and compared to mine and I realised the one thing I did not do when looping underspin ball is to get low and swing up. I was using my arm 100% and this is where I meet with failure. I competely forget my lower part of the body.
Don’t neglect those legs! 😂

Getting low is a weakness of mine (especially in matchplay).

When I really focus on staying low, my shot % improves dramatically.

I’m 6ft 4, so it’s a long way to go! 😂

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I'll reiterate a little of what I said to Gozo in a DM.

It all comes down to your strengths.

From memory, Gozo was quite backhand dominant a few months ago, so Der's advice would have been spot on.

However, from recent videos, Gozo is much stronger at initiating the attack when it's on his FH, and he seems to get a little stuck in a pushing rally when it's on his BH.

The classic "3rd ball attack" is an option on a lot of points at Gozo's current level.

Good serve, and then come in behind it with a nice topspin FH.

But to do this.... You can't serve and then centre yourself in the middle of the table, as you'll struggle to get your FH into action (which was evident in the videos).

The flip side of this is...... I have found that developing a very good backhand is MUCH more effective in matches than a good FH.

But these are all advanced shots, which aren't going to come overnight, and looking at Gozo's progression so far, he's going in the right direction!

Keep up the good work!

Does these two meet the criteria of a classic 3rd ball attack?

NDH

says Spin to win!
View attachment 24675
View attachment 24676

Does these two meet the criteria of a classic 3rd ball attack?

There is one big reason stopping those shots from being a classic 3rd ball attack......

And that is the fact it's the 5th ball 😂

The 2nd video would have been hard to attack as it hit the net on the serve return.

But the first video was there to attack if you had a confident backhand loop.

However, that will come in time, as right now you are waiting to see what happens, and then trying to react to it.

That makes it very hard to get in position and play a good attacking shot.

In that first video, you don't react to the serve return until after the ball has come back over the net.

Compare that with something like the below, and you'll see that as soon as my opponent is about to play his push, I'm already moving my bat, legs and body into position to play an attacking shot.

For all those purists..... Yes, there are many examples that are significantly better than mine..... But I feel it helps real people to see examples from players who are not professional, as it's an ability level that can be achieved (where as most of us aren't going to be achieving the professional level!)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Take a close look at how much NDH gets his hips down... he is a tall dude and I bet a full cappuccino that the bottom of his hips when standing are at LEAST 20 cm above the table. In this snippet the center of his hips are near the table top level.

Also look at how low he preps his bat for even a fast loop... he got his bat down to knee level. His stroke was forward and up and finished not too far in front of him and a little over his head. A LOT of modern coaches will hate on you or dropping bat down... they want you to hit forward with everything... but look how much forward paces is on his shot and how much spin it had... with a mostly upwards and forward stroke.

BH1.JPG

BH2.JPG

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is one big reason stopping those shots from being a classic 3rd ball attack......

And that is the fact it's the 5th ball 😂

The 2nd video would have been hard to attack as it hit the net on the serve return.

But the first video was there to attack if you had a confident backhand loop.

However, that will come in time, as right now you are waiting to see what happens, and then trying to react to it.

That makes it very hard to get in position and play a good attacking shot.

In that first video, you don't react to the serve return until after the ball has come back over the net.

Compare that with something like the below, and you'll see that as soon as my opponent is about to play his push, I'm already moving my bat, legs and body into position to play an attacking shot.

For all those purists..... Yes, there are many examples that are significantly better than mine..... But I feel it helps real people to see examples from players who are not professional, as it's an ability level that can be achieved (where as most of us aren't going to be achieving the professional level!)

View attachment 24677
This point about being set early, seeing what the opponent is doing so you can be moving to it as they are making the shot.....

Footage from real people at an achievable level is, in many cases, more valuable than footage from the pros.

Reactions: Der_Echte and NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
I'm the one in the green shirt, (We just had a 30-minute run to cap off our training session of the day and a bunch of ab crunches). Not exactly representative of my overall technique (especially the forehand) but it'll work (aka after leg day feeling).

I also recently switched to T05 and am struggling to play the way I like on the backhand. I really liked the V>15 extra but when the boost is gone it's completely unusable. It goes from 47.5 degrees to 43 degrees which sucks. I love playing backhand in rallies but I'll finish with the forehand. Some backhand rubber ideas are much appreciated.

(Not much space to film in that area so I get covered up sometimes).

Attachments

• Me#2.mp4
    61.8 MB
  • Me#1.mp4
    51.2 MB
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
As part of allowing me to comment here, I promised UpSideDownCarl to post some video here. So here it is.

I'm in blue and black t-shirt.
It is a training match against my coach. He is better player than me, just not really motivated to win at all cost, but rather willing to teach me something through those games. So he misses some of his opportunities for attack to give those opportunities to me instead. On the other hand it forces me to attack some not very comfortable balls (and make more mistakes) to have a chance to win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As part of allowing me to comment here, I promised UpSideDownCarl to post some video here. So here it is.

I'm in blue and black t-shirt.
It is a training match against my coach. He is better player than me, just not really motivated to win at all cost, but rather willing to teach me something through those games. So he misses some of his opportunities for attack to give those opportunities to me instead. On the other hand it forces me to attack some not very comfortable balls (and make more mistakes) to have a chance to win.
Thanks for posting. You are a clearly a good player. Posting helps so we can know the games of those who are getting advice from and also helps us stay humble given others can see our games. It is unfair for me to tell you to play more like Ma Long when I stand straighter than you and your not seeing my game gives you no idea of how stupid I am being. Not that the advice isn't good, but sometimes, you have to know where someone is coming from to really understand what they are trying to say.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

As promised, my latest FH loop against chopped balls. And no, I am not wearing a German jersey. The jersey is my Province / State colours.

The above is just a recap of what my natural FH look like. It is just a warming up session. Using Andro's R48 on FH this round.

And this is my natural BH, and putting it all together for a random drill as below:

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

As promised, my latest FH loop against chopped balls. And no, I am not wearing a German jersey. The jersey is my Province / State colours.

View attachment 24891
The above is just a recap of what my natural FH look like. It is just a warming up session. Using Andro's R48 on FH this round.
Nice to see that you are training hard.
Last video: Seems like you have the hit more in front of your body. Good!

Feel lika all the backspin balls seems a bit unnatural. Do you want to practice like you play against a chopper? I think it is hard to generalize this to a push.

Fh loop against backspin: Move the arm well, but need to try to get more body in the stroke, turn the the body with the arm - like you are almost pulling something heavy behind you, like a big truck, hard to do with only the arm. I think it looks a bit unnatural with mostly arm and pobably lose both power and safety, the arm can move how it wants.

Bh loop against backpin: need to start the stroke earlier an stop when you hit the ball. Can not start the stroke when the ball is on the rubber, that is like blocking a backspinball.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Lula,

My FH loop against chopped ball appears to be using a lot of arm power and not enough whole body mechanics but still somehow the ball goes over nicely.

This, I attribute to the rubber. It is assisting me a tonne. Somehow I can really feel the top-sheet gripping the ball well and the sponge trampolining the ball over the net. I can literally feel it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good job posting.
Lula,

My FH loop against chopped ball appears to be using a lot of arm power and not enough whole body mechanics but still somehow the ball goes over nicely.

This, I attribute to the rubber. It is assisting me a tonne. Somehow I can really feel the top-sheet gripping the ball well and the sponge trampolining the ball over the net. I can literally feel it.
You should look at your accuracy. You are slightly over 50% on accuracy on FH and way below 50% accuracy on BH. It is good that you are starting to get the feel of this. But, to me, it looks like it would be worth you doing bucket after bucket of this. And in those videos you are doing about 20 balls per minute. After you get the accuracy up, you would need to do maybe double that, maybe even triple that. And when the accuracy is more like what you are doing vs topspin maybe start working on this with a 2 point drill (FH wide, FH middle back and forth) so you have to move to each ball as well.

To me, it also looks like, if you had a slower setup which would force you to need to bend your knees, get lower, and use your legs and the ground more, you would not be swinging as tentatively and probably you would not look as uncomfortable because you would have to go for it.

Whereas, those balls that fly long.....those are causing you to limit the power you are trying to put into the ball. That is what it looks like to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lula,

That's the whole point of using a fast blade with fast rubber - take away the need to use the body to actually generate anything on some shots. It has a cost. Nothing is free in table tennis. That you think the ball goes over nicely is interesting. You aren't consistent enough in practice to complain about it not working in matches.