W968 provincial backhand problem

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Yes, training abroad. From what I gather, kids in China don't get much particular guidance on equipment, but a ton of them use things like Viscaria with boosted/glued H3 as well. In fact beginners do a lot of practice without any racket (shadow practice).

IMO that's the right approach, at the beginning it's just about getting the right form, right technique. Whether shots land is irrelevant. It obviously would take an adult without coaching a lot of effort and discipline to advance like this, but it's doable.
Most of the kid under 15, 75% of the sessions are footwork, structure, not that much mutilball training before go for match. I still remember I saw him physical training for 30 mins then do some mutilball for the rest 15 mins. That's the first 2 months of got coaching.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
Hey...The Rally stuff was an opener (fun) and not the main message... So we should not discuss about this further

As for the chinese kids...Do you have proof of your statements? And what is the effort they put in from a training perspective and how many hours of supervised training do they have?
And is the thread owner is a similar

Yes, training abroad. From what I gather, kids in China don't get much particular guidance on equipment, but a ton of them use things like Viscaria with boosted/glued H3 as well. In fact beginners do a lot of practice without any racket (shadow practice).

IMO that's the right approach, at the beginning it's just about getting the right form, right technique. Whether shots land is irrelevant. It obviously would take an adult without coaching a lot of effort and discipline to advance like this, but it's doable.
ive been told that the first two years in china are shadow practice (we're probably talking about 5 year olds)

This user has no status.

I reckon it’s mainly for monetary reasons like in Europe so many coaches just sell the most expensive equipments to the students so they can earn more. I trained in China last summer with a private coach and he strongly recommended H3 on the FH which makes sense but advised me not to change to a faster blade (at the time I had an off- inner carbon) so that I can develop faster and better. And I definitely didn’t see any kids with Viscarias. But it was in Beijing only in a few clubs so I’m not sure how it is elsewhere. But it definitely makes more sense not to start with too fast equipment. I’m not saying you can’t develop with faster equipment but it’s more steady and faster in the long run if you gradually move up to faster equipment

Last edited:
Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I reckon it’s mainly for monetary reasons like in Europe so many coaches just sell the most expensive equipments to the students so they can earn more. I trained in China last summer with a private coach and he strongly recommended H3 on the FH which makes sense but advised me not to change to a faster blade (at the time I had an off- inner carbon) so that I can develop faster and better. And I definitely didn’t see any kids with Viscarias. But it was in Beijing only in a few clubs so I’m not sure how it is elsewhere. But it definitely makes more sense not to start with too fast equipment. I’m not saying you can’t develop with faster equipment but it’s more steady and faster in the long run if you gradually move up to faster equipment
I think more than the specific equipment, it's the change in equipment that can really slow down development. If someone just wants to get better and is using something sensible (i.e. not some $20 Killerspin premade or Schlager carbon with Mx-p), my advice in general is don't change anything and just focus on practice.