w997

5 out of 5 rating for w997

To sum this blade up in a nutshell: great design and handle, ridiculous speed, suprising huge amount of control and incredible gears.

This was the blade I was looking for, really, just wow. The moment I hit my first ball with it, I was sold. I play with two Tenergy 05's on both sides, and the combination is perfect. Perfect dwell time, perfect spin on serves, pushes, open ups, drives. I will be playing with this for a long time.

Only downside is that the blade is a little bit heavy (especially with Tenergy's on), but that's about it. I will be making a more detailed review when I reglue my rubbers, stay tuned.

Update:

I have been playing with this blade for the past 4 months and here are some of my experiences:

1) speed: Very, very fast with a low arc (even with Tenergy's on). Short game takes delicate touch. Would recommend a chinese rubber on the FH side.
2) spin: Easy to generate a lot of spin on open ups, serves and touch game.
3) Control: Easy to block due to its speed and sweet spot, counter topspins are a blast. All in all if you are not a well rounded and advanced player, you do notice some lack of control
4) Serves, short pushes and long pushes: Serves are very effective, you can vary the spin a lot and keep your balls low at the same time. Short pushes are a little difficult and you need a firm hand. Flip kills are easy though. Long pushes are easier to control, due to its speed, you don't need a lot of power yourself.
5) Away from the table & counter top spins: Far away from the table is where this blade really shines. Defensive play is easy, counter from 2 to 3 metres behind the table is deadly, but again, you do have to be careful of the speed.

Conclusion:

For people who are already at the top of their game, this is one the best blades the market can offer you. As for me, as a developing player, I need some more control and something with a little less speed. If you do want this blade I would recommend putting a chinese rubber on the FH side, as this neutralizes some of the speed and problems in the short game. You can put a tensor rubber or Tenergy on the BH side, that is just your personal preference. If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask.

Reactions: anschutz and Dan