Xuperman Powerplay-x: A Rubber by Xu Xin

This user has no status.
I don't understand how a rubber can be bad at generating underspin, but amazing at topspin.... aren't both qualities linked to the same spin characteristics of the rubber itself?
I think it has to do with how you hit the ball -- the way you hit the ball for topspin and backspin are very different. It might also have to do with the penhold grip that I use -- not sure how it would work for handshake grip underspin. To me Xuperman seems to require more deliberate technique on the backspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
I don't understand how a rubber can be bad at generating underspin, but amazing at topspin.... aren't both qualities linked to the same spin characteristics of the rubber itself?
I think it probably more of my technique and the combined hardness/softness of the top sheet with the sponge that somehow means my current stroke just is not
Good. On Hurricane 3, I almost never have the ball in the net but more often have it fly out of the table. H3 just grabs the ball too much with my current stroke. But with my current stroke, this rubber has the ball in the net more
Often. Go figure. I also tried Loki Arthur China and that is just nice. I have way less issue with chop in the net or out of the table.

This user has no status.
With the differences being?
Skyline 3 is still fairly similar to Skyline 2, just a bit faster and a bit less spinny. Skyline 3 feels a bit more slippery as well. For me, using Skyline 3 it was harder to make those big swinging sidespin loops far from the table that Xu Xin is famous for; Xuperman is perfect for those kinds of hits and Skyline 2 is also good for them.

Skyline 3 also has a pretty good loop-kill and flick close to the table, which Xuperman is somewhat lacking. With Xuperman, you can't take the ball with a fast flick, you have to make a more relaxed, slower motion to get a similar effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Tested it today at 41 degrees boosted with one layer of Seamoon National White. It is basically a Skyline 2 with less tack.
That sounds like a terrible rubber ngl
Skyline 2 is barely playable with the heavy tack.

That sounds like a terrible rubber ngl
Skyline 2 is barely playable with the heavy tack.
How is skyline 2 not playable.
Unboosted, its okay once broken in when the inital tack wears off
But boosted, plays like a monster. Super low arc loops that are super spinny and dangerous

Maybe you are not used to the feel and technique required(as you may prefer some other rubber) and/or not good enough to use the rubber

Reactions: greenbeanmachine
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Regardless of what you think my strength is, I think it's rather immoral to lead the next generation of EJs down this path.
Skyline 2 is a difficult rubber to engage that no longer fits the 40+ ball.

Sure, there are some intermediate level players that could make use of it, but as you play up, you'd find yourself outpaced and outspun.
Of course I am referring to a FH loop drive stroke, if you slap, maybe you could make it work? But the rubber is too spin sensitive and output pace too low.

In any case, with my 15+ years of Chinese looping technique, I'd say Skyline 2 with less tack would be very difficult for anyone to try...Do with my 2 cents what you like. At the end of the day, none of us are professionals, just enjoy the game the way you want to 😀

Reactions: bobpuls
Regardless of what you think my strength is, I think it's rather immoral to lead the next generation of EJs down this path.

Sure, there are some intermediate level players that could make use of it, but as you play up, you'd find yourself outpaced and outspun.
Of course I am referring to a FH loop drive stroke, if you slap, maybe you could make it work? But the rubber is too spin sensitive and output pace too low.

In any case, with my 15+ years of Chinese looping technique, I'd say Skyline 2 with less tack would be very difficult for anyone to try...Do with my 2 cents what you like. At the end of the day, none of us are professionals, just enjoy the game the way you want to 😀
Yes, it no longer fits 40+ ball.
But I enjoy using it and play well with it, so :)

Reactions: bobpuls and Gekko
This user has no status.

Interesting take.

I play at a1500 level which I guess is intermediate. I often find that I lose points due to lack of speed, but not due to lack of spin. As far as I can tell, Skyline 2 is the spinniest rubber out there, and I've tried Hurricane and Dignics. Skyline 2 especially excels at making spinny shots from short, fast contact (like Ma Lin's loop kill) and I haven't found any other rubber that can do this.

What do you make of the fact that Xu Xin continued to use Skyline 2 well after the introduction of the new ball? He was even world #1 with Skyline 2 and the new ball. Why would he continue to use Skyline 2?

Also I am curious -- which rubber do you use?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Interesting take.

I play at a1500 level which I guess is intermediate. I often find that I lose points due to lack of speed, but not due to lack of spin. As far as I can tell, Skyline 2 is the spinniest rubber out there, and I've tried Hurricane and Dignics. Skyline 2 especially excels at making spinny shots from short, fast contact (like Ma Lin's loop kill) and I haven't found any other rubber that can do this.

What do you make of the fact that Xu Xin continued to use Skyline 2 well after the introduction of the new ball? He was even world #1 with Skyline 2 and the new ball. Why would he continue to use Skyline 2?

Also I am curious -- which rubber do you use?
Xu Xin switched over to Hurricane 3 also.
Though to be fair, if you've seen their custom rubbers it really is a far cry from what we think of as Hurricane (even provincial or national version).

Anyhow, my favourite question! Like a true EJ I am tossing between setups (of course haha).
Last season I (mostly) played H3, the one before that Skyline 2 blue sponge but switched to Skyline 3 blue sponge mid season.
I'm trying to switch to the newer ESN stuff, but it has been a hard road. But the game has moved on, with all the juniors chiquita on the first ball, countering has become more important than opening (for me).

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Xu Xin switched over to Hurricane 3 also.
Though to be fair, if you've seen their custom rubbers it really is a far cry from what we think of as Hurricane (even provincial or national version).

Anyhow, my favourite question! Like a true EJ I am tossing between setups (of course haha).
Last season I (mostly) played H3, the one before that Skyline 2 blue sponge but switched to Skyline 3 blue sponge mid season.
I'm trying to switch to the newer ESN stuff, but it has been a hard road. But the game has moved on, with all the juniors chiquita on the first ball, countering has become more important than opening (for me).
He switched to hurricane 3 to test the custom carbonado when he was making the Dynasty. He did use it for sometime too, but his main rubber is the skyline 2. He kept coming back to skyline 2, and now his own rubber, xuperman powerplay x, which I have ordered and can't wait to try out.🏓

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Xuxin'club in Shanghai, china.

1704767963587.png

1704768001132.png