Wang Hao formally announced his retirement today

This user has no status.
Wang Hao announced his retirement

Wang Hao announced his retirement from Chinese National Team on Dec 20th. It was a party celebrating Hao Shuai's son's 100 day birth. When he stood up with wine, he toast to Hao Shuai and announced his retirement. He mentioned he is really grateful to the team for his 16 years in CNT (2 years in B team and 14 years in A team). He thanked Liu Guoliang, all the coaches and teammates. It was a very emotional moment. Liu Guoliang suggested a formal retirement ceremony later.

Link for the video; http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-12-22/21537457381.shtml
Wang Hao has won 18 world champion titles in his 16-year career in Chinese National teams. His 3-time Olympics single runner-up will also be remembered. He will return to "Ba Yi" (PLA) team to be a coach in the future. Liu Guoliang says he is the most legendary player in Chinese National Team's history.

My favorite player retires. The peak of RPB! Wish him all the best in the future!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Surely, what a great player ! I love his style too ! Will he be the last world champion penholder ? Personally I think he may be the case and it's a pity.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Surely, what a great player ! I love his style too ! Will he be the last world champion penholder ? Personally I think he may be the case and it's a pity.

I would not count Xu Xin out just yet if I were you. He has been ranked number one since Jan. 2013 after all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
I would not count Xu Xin out just yet if I were you. He has been ranked number one since Jan. 2013 after all.

Yeah, I love Xu Xin too and I really enjoy to watch his matches. But I don't think he will win a WTTC or an Olympic Gold especially with the "less spin" new ball which I find hurt his style (just my opinion and I'll be happy if I'm wrong !).
There is Xue Fei too maybe but I don't believe he can do it too (even if it's a little bit too soon to say for him).

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Yeah, I love Xu Xin too and I really enjoy to watch his matches. But I don't think he will win a WTTC or an Olympic Gold especially with the "less spin" new ball which I find hurt his style (just my opinion and I'll be happy if I'm wrong !).
There is Xue Fei too maybe but I don't believe he can do it too (even if it's a little bit too soon to say for him).

We'l see what the future brings. I think he can do it though. What regards the ball, is just a matter of adaptation. I don't believe the spin is hurt that much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Wang Hao probably doesn't want to compete with the current generation. If he trains hard, he can still beat any non-Chinese as well as Boll but he probably doesn't want to go to another Olympics. The psychological pressure of losing the last 3 in a row will place him at a severe disadvantage. The two spots are so fiercely contested anyway between Ma Long, ZJK, XX and FZD. No one else stands a chance.

I wrote a small tribute to Wang Hao earlier on. here

I have reproduced it below:

I just thought that I would post this as a short blurb of recognition towards Wang Hao. People don't really seem to talk about him as much as they talk about Wang Liqin and Ma Lin.

Even after all of these years, Wang Hao still has the best RPB ever since he gained recognition in the 2004 Olympics. His backhand is seriously better than most Shakehand players. Even Waldner said that Wang Hao's backhand over the table was the best that he had ever seen. Overall, he's still probably the most complete penhold player of all time.

He also had the potential to be a TRIPLE grandslam winner if he had won all of those finals. He won the World Cup thrice and finished 2nd thrice. He achieved silver in the Olympics in 2004,2008 and 2012. He also won the WTTC in 2009 and finished behind ZJK in 2011 and 2013 after winning against ML three times in a row in the semifinals.

Here's a video of some amazing backhand flicks