What innerforce to go for?

Did you ask for a heavy one or is that what you were sent?

The blurb says:

Based on the current Innerforce Layer ALC but with a thinner core. Reduced weight, lower vibration and a softer touch. Suitable for attacking players with the emphasis on spin.

Tees Sport have the weight down at 82 grams on average.
Nope didn't ask for anything, but You know that the weight is no way exact. Before summer I ordered 3 Alser all+.
This is an exquisite design, I can not get enough of it, (Thickness 5.9mm limba - walnut - auyous - walnut - limba).
The weights turn out to be 87grams 89grams and the last one 98grams. Where the h-ll did all those extra grams come from ? :) . Its all in the wood. As it turns out the last heavy one plays the best :).
And the best of all it was a discontinuation sale so I got them for ~$25 each...

So the bottom line is when it comes to wood expect a difference between individuals.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Nope didn't ask for anything, but You know that the weight is no way exact. Before summer I ordered 3 Alser all+.
This is an exquisite design, I can not get enough of it, (Thickness 5.9mm limba - walnut - auyous - walnut - limba).
The weights turn out to be 87grams 89grams and the last one 98grams. Where the h-ll did all those extra grams come from ? :) . Its all in the wood. As it turns out the last heavy one plays the best :).
And the best of all it was a discontinuation sale so I got them for ~$25 each...

So the bottom line is when it comes to wood expect a difference between individuals.

Cheers
L-zr
this is why I agree with Ben earlier in this thread.
Any serious player will want to feel the blade in the hand and test the vibration.

Lin Yunju had about 50 blades sent to him and only 2 felt correct from the hand test.
So Butterfly made more and sent him another 50 to choose.

This was before Lin's blade came out. It was still a custom unmodelled Butterfly blade at the time.

NDH

says Spin to win!
this is why I agree with Ben earlier in this thread.
Any serious player will want to feel the blade in the hand and test the vibration.

Lin Yunju had about 50 blades sent to him and only 2 felt correct from the hand test.
So Butterfly made more and sent him another 50 to choose.

This was before Lin's blade came out. It was still a custom unmodelled Butterfly blade at the time.
I think it's worth highlighting that "serious player" in this context really means "semi pro" or "professional".

I would bet that the vast majority of "serious players" across the Globe do not go to the extreme of testing multiple blades etc.

Mainly because they simply don't have the ability to do so! 😂

When I speak to all of the best players in the counties where I live - Most of them don't care about equipment in the slightest.

It's only the odd few at the amateur level, and then the actual pro's who have the ability and understanding to care.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think it's worth highlighting that "serious player" in this context really means "semi pro" or "professional".

I would bet that the vast majority of "serious players" across the Globe do not go to the extreme of testing multiple blades etc.

Mainly because they simply don't have the ability to do so! 😂

When I speak to all of the best players in the counties where I live - Most of them don't care about equipment in the slightest.

It's only the odd few at the amateur level, and then the actual pro's who have the ability and understanding to care.
In Asia, there are lots of TT retail shops.
Not necessary the top of the rating levels, but it is common that one could go to a retail shop and ask for a few of the desired blade and pick the best according to your preference.
across the globe... not going to happen, since there isn't much TT stores and it is mostly online purchase.

And yeah, not all understand what to actually look out for.

and yeah, one of the UK players arrived in Durban world champs and forgot his rubber at home. so I understand when you talk about equipment care, haha

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel and NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Very interesting. Do you have any ideas about why that might be? Maybe the coaches have some preference for more direct outer carbon blades? Or maybe the kids just want to copy Lin Yun-Ju?
Viscaria is likely the most used among males (and from there, it shared off some its market share to Super Viscaria)
so it isn't really a copy of Lin

It does feel like coaches does have preference here.
SZLC/ZLC probably exist way more than inner carbons.

My data, obviously can't cover the whole of Taiwan, but of the 6 (actually 8, since there is 2 in 1s x 2) that I visit (both girls and boys), Viscaria is likely the winner.
Taiwan's school system is known for its Top 8 TT schools, so for male/female/ middle school and senior high, that is 32 schools. My data is from my eyes checking the equipment out at around 8 of the 32.
I did speak to coaches about this before and the answer I got wasn't like convincing.

Many times, the player will follow the coaches instruction, so coaches decision has a great deal of what the player uses.

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Why does the 970xx have the lowest frequency? Shouldnt the Koto surface make it harder with higher frequency?
No, not at all. The thin surface layer doesn't affect the frequency as much as the stiffness of the overall structure. So you can have 1500Hz with a Limba/Limba/... blade (like Ma Long's blade) or 1200Hz with Koto top (like a Yinhe E1 with Koto/Spruce/..).

This user has no status.
Hey Hazza,

I personally don't buy into the level of detail that others do when it comes to picking the blade.

I understand that different types of wood will give a different feeling, but at the same time, I also know the design of the handle gives me more emotion when using the blade!

So, question back to you...... Why are you looking to change?

Are you following my footsteps and thinking that an Innerforce offers more control than the Outer carbon blades, but provide the same level of power/speed?

At least, that's how I justified buying a new blade 😅

The Ovtcharov is about as close to an Outer carbon blade as I've tried (it's my current blade of choice).

I really don't see any great advantage over the TB ALC for 99.9999% of players - They are just too similar.

If you wanted to take a noticeable drop in speed from the Outer carbon blades (but still have a fast blade), I'd go for the Harimoto ALC.

I found that was a blocking machine and really controlled, whilst still having plenty of speed when you needed it.

Also, you get extra volume on your "CHO's", which is an added bonus ;)

But when I say "noticeable drop in speed", please don't think it's slow. All I mean is that there is a very very small noticeable feeling that it's not quite as fast as the TB ALC for example - Something you don't really get with the Ovtcharov.

As for the Flared handle, I hate it in general anyway - Always straight for me, but this is personal preference and I don't think there is enough in it to change your handle based on certain shots.
Interesting, my friend. I agree. If you really want a change from outer ALC like Timo Boll, the Harimoto ALC is a good choice.
Besides, I think it should be used with hard rubbers, D05 or Victas 22 Double Extra (both 50°) in forehand, and T05 or similar in backhand (47°). Otherwise you will feel Harimoto ALC too soft, lack of speed and emotion.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
01a9aed4c4fe21f1c5f78781f07c0f4087c1b9a9d0c9108d8b3ac8cad1bbdd97.jpg

Be a man! Do the right thing! Get a Viscaria or its variant. It is the manly thing to do.

Last edited: